Fighting Spirit

SamUltraRam

2 hours ago, Rammy03 said:

I think fans are just pleased that the team are proving people wrong.

Even though we've only played 4 games, all I saw before the season was pundits, commenators and rival supporters saying we would be rock bottom, lowest points total and all this nonsense. We were written off before a ball was kicked, and yet we look a decent outfit.

Of course we have to continue it, but I think it's been a solid start. I don't see anyone pretending we've had a start of Everest proportions, all I see is fans enjoying the football for a change. 

Who have we proven wrong though? That’s like saying Coventry, who are in the top 6 after four games, have proven people wrong.

10-15 games from now, the picture and the mood could be completely different, never mind 40 games from now.

I do get that there was a lot of doom and gloom surrounding the club over the summer, but clearly people were writing us off and making such predictions anticipating the harshest transfer embargo and points deduction available.

How else would all these people come to the conclusion that we would be rock bottom when all things being equal, you have the likes of Hull, Blackpool, Peterborough, Huddersfield, Preston and 4-5 others in the mix?

Personally, I think this season is hard to call. There are so many question marks. 10-15 games in, we’ll have a clearer idea of this team’s prospects and whether we are in for a struggle.

You say it’s been a solid start, but I would say it’s in the balance. If we start to put more results together, then absolutely.

I would question whether the football is more enjoyable and that there are indeed green shoots. Four games is such a misleading sample size. 

Personally I need to see more from this team.

3 hours ago, BathRam72 said:

While I get what you are trying to say. I personally think the current situation at the club (embargo, no money, potential take over saga, small squad and injuries to key players) could seriously have dented the spirit and put us on a downer from the start. Almost as if we have a 3 to 6 point deficit, however, I for one will applaud and encourage the team to carry on and grow in confidence and not knock it before it starts.

The current situation at the club is obviously far from ideal.

But I imagine players are only concerned with playing football and any group of players should be instilled with belief that they can win games and compete.

Unless we receive a hefty points deduction or the finances deteriorate to a point where players don’t get paid, you would imagine that the players would be largely unaffected, focused on their jobs, and shielded from what happens off the pitch.

We started the season on zero just like everyone else. So really at this point, maintaining team spirit shouldn’t be too much of a challenge.

5 hours ago, Ellafella said:

@Jourdan I know you live down in the SW so this isn't meant as a provocative question but I detect from being actually at the games quite a sea-change in the team's set-up and style. A confidence boost from bagging a few goals - the chances are coming _ and I can see us pushing on this season. The green shoots - which NEVER appeared under Cocu style-wise save for that period when Rooney arrived just before COVID when results picked up (when he played CM19 up front away at Wendies and at home to Blackburn) and I see a good season ahead. There will be set-backs but the point is - gone is that awful, slow, laboured style which was easy to counter and so tedious to watch. We are knitting quick moves together and there's a varied style and pattern to our play. We will soon be scoring goals and look a threat. I'm confident of that. It all hangs by a thread because an injury to Jags/Davies/ in particular or any of our other outfield first-picks and we are in the lard. So, time to be a bit more upbeat! It can go any way on satdee against a desperate RedDogs side but a good win over them and off we gooooooooo!

I watched the Peterborough game in full and I didn’t see much difference from last season, to be perfectly honest.

I’ve only caught highlights of all other games and there was no hint of it. So indeed perhaps I am missing something. 

I’ll be watching the Forest game. Maybe these green shoots and this improved style will become apparent then.

Feeling upbeat is obviously something we would all like to feel, but for me, I need to see more from this team. We could have made more of this start.

1 minute ago, Jourdan said:

I watched the Peterborough game in full and I didn’t see much difference from last season, to be perfectly honest.

I’ve only caught highlights of all other games and there was no hint of it. So indeed perhaps I am missing something. 

I’ll be watching the Forest game. Maybe these green shoots and this improved style will become apparent then.

Feeling upbeat is obviously something we would all like to feel, but for me, I need to see more from this team. We could have made more of this start.

We’ve since had Jags & Morrison in & both have taken the Team up a notch. Jags is looking like the best CH we’ve had in a long time…& Ravel is also a great addition. Two classy players who’ve lifted the standard. 

10 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

If you were able to go to one of the games you might have noticed a difference. Some of us are lucky enough to have done so. You’re picking holes in something that you haven’t experienced. You do not have an obligation to post on here and be positive but likewise you do not have a responsibility to manage expectations. Some of us have been around long enough to embrace any positive no matter how little or ephemeral it may prove to be.

Edited by RIMBAUD

3 minutes ago, Ellafella said:

We’ve since had Jags & Morrison in & both have taken the Team up a notch. Jags is looking like the best CH we’ve had in a long time…& Ravel is also a great addition. Two classy players who’ve lifted the standard. 

Time will tell. Of course I really hope it comes together for us and we have a positive season with plenty of encouragement. I’d love to come back in 15-20 games and say to you I see where you were coming from.

For me, the worry is Rooney and that is possibly why I am more doubtful than others. Preferably I’d have a more experienced manager in charge, but I also realise that is extremely unlikely to happen at any point in the short to medium term. 

Let’s see how things pan out. As with every manager and group of players we have had, I am more than ready to be won over and give credit where it’s due.

But 4-5 games can be a deceptive mistress.

5 hours ago, Rampage said:

No tougher test than Boro as a team. How we may react if losing 3 nil to WBA after 30 minutes will be another kind of test should it happen.

You are so right Rampage. Early doors with where we are now, each of the first 10 games is a unique test before a real feel for the metal of this squad is evident. Today, I think Forest is the one, but really we need to be re examining at the end of September / Mid October when a pattern has emerged, the embargo is hopefully over and we have a clearer direction and some history. 

I can only say that Morrison’s commitment has seemed full on and genuine. Jags looks, not only up for a battle, but also to be enjoying himself. I thought Louie Watson on Saturday epitomised what we need .. On as a sub and busting guts for a half way line sliding tackle.  … I didn’t see the switch offs and lapses at Peterborough .. it’s a worry - but errors aside, so far I see no slackers and some pretty determined players. 

39 minutes ago, RIMBAUD said:

If you were able to go to one of the games you might have noticed a difference. Some of us are lucky enough to have done so. You’re picking holes in something that you haven’t experienced. You do not have an obligation to post on here and be positive but likewise you do not have a responsibility to manage expectations. Some of us have been around long enough to embrace any positive no matter how little or ephemeral it may prove to be.

If you think I am picking holes or being particularly negative, that’s your perception.

I am not trying to manage anyone’s expectations. I am just giving my opinion. If you don’t agree, that’s fair enough.

Out of interest, what positive differences have you noticed over the past five games?

I think fans are happy with performances and points. No need to look any further with our current squad and restrictions. To be honest we should be unbeaten. 2 goals given away at Peterborough is really the only downside so far. We need restrictions lifted as Rooney and this squad need help...and plenty of it. 

5 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

If you think I am picking holes or being particularly negative, that’s your perception.

I am not trying to manage anyone’s expectations. I am just giving my opinion. If you don’t agree, that’s fair enough.

Out of interest, what positive differences have you noticed over the past five games?

Read the threads that have discussed it. 

1 hour ago, Jourdan said:

I have seen all the games live and yes you are missing something, much more positive this season especially Hull away.

34 minutes ago, RIMBAUD said:

Read the threads that have discussed it. 

But you are the one who quoted me and you are the one saying I am picking holes and being negative.

Surely it’s not too much trouble to offer some examples of these positive differences that you have noticed?

3 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

But you are the one who quoted me and you are the one saying I am picking holes and being negative.

Surely it’s not too much trouble to offer some examples of these positive differences that you have noticed?

Ok. My problem was that you were picking holes with events you haven’t even seen. So the rest is for you to find out from people who have. Read them. 

6 hours ago, Jourdan said:

We have played four games, not forty.

Ok

I didn’t say we would lose to Forest. I said that if we were to lose, the mood around our start to the season would be different. Of course we could beat them and that would be fantastic and it would give us a good platform going into the autumn. 

Surely if 4 games isn't a sufficient sample, then 5 isn't either.

Hull and Peterborough have just come up to the Championship and are expected to be in the mix for relegation. Both teams have very unremarkable squads and managers.

Similarly, Huddersfield struggled last season and don’t really have the means to radically improve their side. So again, a game that was there for the taking.

Maybe but then we were looking at starting the season with no CBs and only one striker. I'd imagine the sides you've highlighted might have fancied their chances when they saw the fixture list. And how did we get on against the like of Rotherham, and Wycombe last season? Hard to argue there's not modest progress in that regard.

Let’s not pretend we have had a start of Everest proportions.

Literally nobody is! 

image.png.a10d15ba5c3a42148b18bc61d7f00b5c.png

3 hours ago, Jourdan said:

Time will tell. Of course I really hope it comes together for us and we have a positive season with plenty of encouragement. I’d love to come back in 15-20 games and say to you I see where you were coming from.

For me, the worry is Rooney and that is possibly why I am more doubtful than others. Preferably I’d have a more experienced manager in charge, but I also realise that is extremely unlikely to happen at any point in the short to medium term. 

Let’s see how things pan out. As with every manager and group of players we have had, I am more than ready to be won over and give credit where it’s due.

But 4-5 games can be a deceptive mistress.

I think it’s clear Jourdan that when it comes to Derby you’re generally a glass half empty poster, which is perfectly reasonable given some of the durge we’ve had to endure in recent years. I often find myself disagreeing with you but I always find your posts have well reasoned logic and you do always praise the team when you think they’ve deserved it. 

I think where @Ellafella and others are coming from is in the games so far (albeit a small sample size as you rightly say) there is an obvious change in style, an intent to try and create, some young lads still learning but with serious talent and a squad with a tenacity and a work ethic that very clearly demonstrates they are behind their manager. It’s not what many of us expected and it’s given many of us a renewed sense of optimism, but tinged with caution given the dire situation we remain in as a club. I don’t think anyone thinks we’re going to be pushing top 6 and I think the majority of the posters on here see this being a relegation scrap for the season unless something drastically changes. However from it being scrap we seemed certain to lose, from what I’ve seen I think it’s one we could win and survive, which is the only real objective this season. 

But you’re absolutely spot on when you say it’s too early judge, 10-15 games will be a better reflection of where we are at. However I think the main positive is the tactics of changing to match the opposition every game that contributed to an awful run at the end of last season seem to be gone in favour of more progressive tactics. If we’d seen a continuation of the last 15-20 games of last season then my view would be different. 

3 hours ago, jono said:

You are so right Rampage. Early doors with where we are now, each of the first 10 games is a unique test before a real feel for the metal of this squad is evident. Today, I think Forest is the one, but really we need to be re examining at the end of September / Mid October when a pattern has emerged, the embargo is hopefully over and we have a clearer direction and some history. 

I can only say that Morrison’s commitment has seemed full on and genuine. Jags looks, not only up for a battle, but also to be enjoying himself. I thought Louie Watson on Saturday epitomised what we need .. On as a sub and busting guts for a half way line sliding tackle.  … I didn’t see the switch offs and lapses at Peterborough .. it’s a worry - but errors aside, so far I see no slackers and some pretty determined players. 

You are the first person to describe our players as determined for as long as I can remember, Jono. I agree with you 

5 hours ago, Jourdan said:

We are creating good chances from open play. We are opening up defensive, experienced teams and getting one on one chances which at the moment, are going wide, hitting the post or keepers are making great saves, it will come.

If Rooney keeps the confidence level up the goals will come. Once they do, teams have a problem against us because we are capable of breaking quickly.

Morrison is huge in this division, clearly different class, obviously there is no way of knowing if he has finally matured or not but our younger lads seem more confident with him pulling the strings.

There is a lot to be optimistic about as it stands. Your opinion is just as valid as mine or anyone else mate, maybe its just your posting style, but it comes across as if you don't like the optimism and hope we have based on what we've seen so far.

3 minutes ago, uttoxram75 said:

We are creating good chances from open play. We are opening up defensive, experienced teams and getting one on one chances which at the moment, are going wide, hitting the post or keepers are making great saves, it will come.

If Rooney keeps the confidence level up the goals will come. Once they do, teams have a problem against us because we are capable of breaking quickly.

Morrison is huge in this division, clearly different class, obviously there is no way of knowing if he has finally matured or not but our younger lads seem more confident with him pulling the strings.

There is a lot to be optimistic about as it stands. Your opinion is just as valid as mine or anyone else mate, maybe its just your posting style, but it comes across as if you don't like the optimism and hope we have based on what we've seen so far.

Optimism and hope is what keeps all of us ticking along, but of course everyone is going to have different ideas of what encouraging signs are present or not.

If and when it comes together, I will be among the first to praise Rooney and the players.

There is a long way to go in the season and things are still taking shape.

Let’s hope we can win this weekend and kick on.

I think, considering that many fans were predicting we'd set a new lowest points record for the Championship, and not a single media pundit or rival fan gave us a dog's chance of avoiding last place, our first four games have come as a pleasant surprise - like a trip to the dentist that turned out to be a pleasant experience rather than torture. On that basis, there's nothing wrong with taking the positives from that. Of course, it's early days, and we have perhaps more challenging games ahead, but (if we can avoid injuries to key players), I've seen enough to encourage me that we could have a better season than I'd feared was likely. The positives for me are Roos looking steady, a well organised defence with Jagielka at the heart of it, a more positive Max Bird looking to find forward runners, Ravel showing the touch of class we've lacked, and better movement from the forwards. Add to that the little cameos from promising U23s, it's given me a much needed boost after a pretty awful 18 months for obvious reasons.