Dylan Williams, what a prospect.

Boycie

Glad you pointed him out, first half IMO he looked like a rabbit in the headlights kept missing headers and making bad decision however second half he was the complete opposite and looked a real player. Someone at half time has said the right thing as he came out looking a foot taller with a new found confidence. Really liked what I saw. 

1 minute ago, DCFC27 said:

Glad you pointed him out, first half IMO he looked like a rabbit in the headlights kept missing headers and making bad decision however second half he was the complete opposite and looked a real player. Someone at half time has said the right thing as he came out looking a foot taller with a new found confidence. Really liked what I saw. 

Some times young players get to nerves in front biggest crowd he played in front of like many of young lads.

The DCFC LB production line keeps going... Lowe, Buchanan, (Archie jumped ship), now Williams... England youth International Moloney next (who is now in the U18s).

Someone recently doubt we could produce so many good players in a single position in such a short time.

What a selection of talent this club has!

6 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

The DCFC LB production line keeps going... Lowe, Buchanan, (Archie jumped ship), now Williams... England youth International Moloney next (who is now in the U18s).

Someone recently doubt we could produce so many good players in a single position in such a short time.

What a selection of talent this club has!

The academy is set up to keep bringing full backs through that play the modern 'wing-back' role. 

Noticed alot of the players actually start furthur up the pitch and get converted to full backs over time, making exciting attacking players (great for highlights/scouts and therefore for selling on). It's no coincidence we've produced 5 or 6 good full backs and currently no (possibly one) decent CB, we don't train them to defend. 

7 hours ago, Boycie said:

As the game went on he really started to get involved, well done Lad!

Yes agreed and second half he got more involved by getting more forward,one thing he does need to improve on is his final pass once he as got in that great position mind you the same can be said for all our full backs at the club

8 hours ago, Zag zig said:

That kid for a scholar, looked very composed and didn’t show fear, I’ve not had chance to read all the comments but I kept saying to my lads he’s having some game for a 17 year old.

We seem to be good at producing full/wing backs, he looks very promising.

Said this on the match day thread, was a cracking debut for a 17 year old. Nerves? hard to tell as it struck me even in the first half he was showing for the ball, he did brilliantly for his age. Definitely grew into the game, kids a great prospect, the right coaching he will get better and better.

2 hours ago, RamLad1884 said:

The academy is set up to keep bringing full backs through that play the modern 'wing-back' role. 

Noticed alot of the players actually start furthur up the pitch and get converted to full backs over time, making exciting attacking players (great for highlights/scouts and therefore for selling on). It's no coincidence we've produced 5 or 6 good full backs and currently no (possibly one) decent CB, we don't train them to defend. 

I don't buy your theory. Lowe was a very good defender for us (just very weak in the air), Buchanan, Ebosele, McDonald and Bardell are good defenders, so much so that Buchanan and Bardell regularly play/played CB for the U18s/23s.

If we have been focusing on producing attacking players, then why have we struggled producing CFs? We now have Stretton, and would have had Delap, but the previous one was Ball...

3 minutes ago, rammieib said:

Anyone know if this effects our ability to sign players now its another 'professional'?

Scholars don't count towards the limit.

So any of the 'uncapped' U23s (excluding Chorley) cannot play if we want to make more signings during our embargo. However, any ofthe U18s (scholars) can play without impacting things.

7 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

I don't buy your theory. Lowe was a very good defender for us (just very weak in the air), Buchanan, Ebosele, McDonald and Bardell are good defenders, so much so that Buchanan and Bardell regularly play/played CB for the U18s/23s.

If we have been focusing on producing attacking players, then why have we struggled producing CFs? We now have Stretton, and would have had Delap, but the previous one was Ball...

I think I remember hearing something before along these lines that it's a problem in general these days.

There is (finally) a real emphasis on technical ability these days, probably over strength and height. CB and CF are the 2 positions when this was always an asset. If a kid does end up with height, strength and technical skill, perhaps they are then keener to play midfielder then?

Perhaps the focus is also taken away from key CB and CF skills. A kid who is great finisher may drop off the radar if other parts of their game aren't quite there. Even at the top level now, hard to think of too many "typical" CBs or CFs, especially English ones.

Good point earlier about us focusing on wing backs/attacking full backs. They are such essential players now and don't need the height or strength that other positions require.

38 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Scholars don't count towards the limit.

So any of the 'uncapped' U23s (excluding Chorley) cannot play if we want to make more signings during our embargo. However, any ofthe U18s (scholars) can play without impacting things.

I thought Morrison bought us up to our limit? Don't we have to wait for our embargo status to change before we can sign anyone else (or is it if we sell)?

Edited by RoyMac5

3 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Would you really say Ebosele is a good defender. Genuine question. First team appearances suggest to me he’s lacking somewhat in that department.

30 minutes ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

Would you really say Ebosele is a good defender. Genuine question. First team appearances suggest to me he’s lacking somewhat in that department.

He uses his pace to make up for not reading the situation quick enough, but that shouldn't be used against him, just like for Tomori.
Decent in the air for a wing back and strong in the tackle - he loves a sliding challenge

3 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

I thought Morrison bought us up to our limit? Don't we have to wait for our embargo status to change before we can sign anyone else (or is it if we sell)?

I think Derby are hoping the rules will be relaxed soon (maybe when we submit our account for 17/18/19)

That would then free up more spaces which they don’t want to “waste” on Cashin and Thompson. In fairness, the priority is surely up top now and CB so Baldock and Jags next in probably