v Salford (H) Match Day Thread

ollycutts1982

2 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

Oh gawd. Rooney in his interview saying he asked the players who wanted to take the penalties. And that after we put our best penalty takers first in the shootout.

If you follow the science you put your best penalty takers last and you never ever ever ask the players at this stage. 

Got away with it. Surely we have some sports science people at the club?

Onwards and hopefully upwards.

We won on penalties. Sports science people don't take the penalties, football players do, and we scored 5 out of 5.

Up The Rams.

Believe in our manager. Believe in our players. Believe in our football club.

1 minute ago, Tombo said:

Interesting insight mate. What is your sports science background just out of interest?

I'm really a theoretical physicist by training, but day job is a science publisher so I read a lot of papers and go to the scientific conferences that I find interesting. So of course I go to some sports science meetings and talk with the analysts and the coaches who are interested in this stuff. 

Just now, Collo_DCFC11 said:

Festy is a bit of an anomaly and it showed tonight. Frightening pace and direct dribbling ability but his technical ability and decision making is awful. Will still be a very good option to have and will scare teams to death because of the former.

Not sure I agree it is awful, could certainly be improved but at youth levels it was always pretty good, and he has been pretty threatening for the first team with some good decision making. Slightly lax end product so far, but that is to be expected. 

7 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

Yeah Sergio Ramos is an excellent penalty taker. But he's just one player. I'm bemused when we have a selection of five kickers, three of them are defenders. I'm just being weird about it, but I really wanted Joz to take one while I'm surprised Sibley didn't step up either considering how cleanly and powerful he can kick the ball.

Get over yourself! We scored 5 out of 5! Jeesuss!

1 minute ago, Carl Sagan said:

Oh gawd. Rooney in his interview saying he asked the players who wanted to take the penalties. And that after we put our best penalty takers first in the shootout.

If you follow the science you put your best penalty takers last and you never ever ever ask the players at this stage. 

Got away with it. Surely we have some sports science people at the club?

Onwards and hopefully upwards.

Not sure about that. I can see the merit in your best penalty taker going first to get off to a good start rather than risk chasing the penalty shoot out. If your best penalty taker goes last, there is always a risk he wouldn’t even get to take one.

Just now, RadioactiveWaste said:

You know, if we keep showing character like tonight the whole "let's all laugh at Rooney's hopelessly outclassed Derby get relegated ho ho ho" narrative might just bugger off and we'll quietly be a bit rubbish but basically safe.

Hopefully we'll surprise a few this season

2 minutes ago, Collo_DCFC11 said:

Don't post a lot but plenty of positives tonight for me.

Seen a few criticisms of Stretton, whereas I was really impressed (weird how we all see the game differently). I thought his movement was superb, also Michael Owen-esque off the shoulder and actually allowed Watson to play them superb passes.

Unpopular opinion but I am not CKR's biggest fan (although I admit he serves a purpose for us the way things stand) and I think Stretton is a genuine serious option for us as he allows us to play a different, more expansive way. For example, Watson wouldn't be making them passes with CKR up front as there would be no-one making the runs. That being said, I thought Stretton looked understandably rusty in terms of his touch and reactions but that will come with games and not something I am concerned about.

Thought Watson and Sibley were standout tonight. Watson got a lot of the plaudits but thought Sibley was excellent again tonight and in my opinion is the most dangerous player in our squad and simply has to play. Watson is a delightfully cultured footballer. Both very good in their own rights.

Festy is a bit of an anomaly and it showed tonight. Frightening pace and direct dribbling ability but his technical ability and decision making is awful. Will still be a very good option to have and will scare teams to death because of the former.

Yes it is Salford and I am not getting carried away with a penalty win over a League Two side but that is the most I have enjoyed watching Derby play for a long time. We actually showed creativity and intent so hats off to the young lads for that and the character they showed.

Don't post a lot? Fantastic second post, mate. Very good summation.