v Salford (H) Match Day Thread

ollycutts1982

Much more impressed with Stretton tonight than I’ve seen previously, he’s maybe a goal (or a keepers glove) away from a decent run. 

People will criticise Fozzy but slotting into a position you’ve played a handful of times with a rookie as a centre back partner and another as your full back? That’s tough and probably deserves a bit of respect for doing it in the first place. Lovely pen too. 

‘Scoring at the right time’ is a weird footballing cliche, but Salford can kick themselves for going 2 goals ahead so early. They looked lost as they tried to defend the lead and invited pressure.

Oh gawd. Rooney in his interview saying he asked the players who wanted to take the penalties. And that after we put our best penalty takers first in the shootout.

If you follow the science you put your best penalty takers last and you never ever ever ask the players at this stage. 

Got away with it. Surely we have some sports science people at the club?

Onwards and hopefully upwards.

Just now, TuffLuff said:

People will criticise Fozzy but slotting into a position you’ve played a handful of times with a rookie as a centre back partner and another as your full back? That’s tough and probably deserves a bit of respect for doing it in the first place. Lovely pen too. 

Gonna be honest though, a lot of Forsyth's mistakes weren't down to not knowing how to play with a partner and just individual errors, like how he got caught when he was attracted to the ball and it went in behind him. He had a decent shift, and it was a good pen, but he isn't a CB. 

1 minute ago, Carl Sagan said:

Oh gawd. Rooney in his interview saying he asked the players who wanted to take the penalties. And that after we put our best penalty takers first in the shootout.

If you follow the science you put your best penalty takers last and you never ever ever ask the players at this stage. 

Got away with it. Surely we have some sports science people at the club?

Onwards and hopefully upwards.

Interesting insight mate. What is your sports science background just out of interest?

Delighted with that. You find a lot out about a group of players when they go 2-0 down against a side they 'should' be beating. Incredibly young side thrown together, all the nonsense going off around the club...would have been easy to let heads drop. 

Totally deserved to win...yes, a horror first 20 mins where we looked nervous & overawed physically but thereafter we bossed the game. Tried to play, werent afraid to get on the ball & didnt panic or get flustered. Was also brilliant seeing likes of Williams, Hutchinson & Brown growing into the match. This experience will improve them all massively. Louie Watson struggled initially but by the end was putting exquisite balls through their back line...so much ability. Great penalty to win it & loved his reaction at the end!!

Very proud tonight. And well done Wayne Rooney & coaching team, character of the side reflects on how they're managed ?

P.s. crowd were fantastic again, well done to all those who went. An absolute credit to this football club ?

Decent game to watch and thought the youngsters all did well and will gain a lot from that. Obviously there was a physical difference but technically they we’re better than Salford.

I can understand why Rooney picked such a young team to preserve the first team players. It just wasn’t worth the risk and the focus has to be 100% on the league this season, I would have accepted a defeat with this in mind

That said we’re through and there will be another chance for the youngsters to impress!

1 minute ago, Chris_Martin said:

you might want to watch it back?

Ebosele stuck his leg into their defenders whilst falling over.

Like I said before, no issue with it. The amount of penalties we haven't got from players being too honest, it's a nice change to actually get one. And it was more than made up for by their penalty. 

Just watched Salfords first goal again. We'd stand a better chance if joz started on the back post. We had nobody at all on the back post. Its easier to come forward off the post to head one away than stand where joz is not knowing whats going in behind him. Really is basics. We need to work on someone taking charge on the pitch of defending set pieces  

14 minutes ago, Srg said:

Think we win that comfortably with Roos and proper centre backs. Stretton doesn’t look ready, but still rather him than signing Baldock. Jozwiak not impressing in a game like that. Hutchinson, Watson and Sibley all very good. Morrison will be a good addition. Ebosele and Williams also impressive. Allsop pretty terrible.

On a side note, not sure what it is about Watson but he’s an odd looking boy. He looks like he wore black nail polish and probably tried out his mums heels and make up as a kid. Ah well, can do what he wants if he keeps impressing. 

He looks a bit My Chemical Romance.

3 minutes ago, TuffLuff said:

Much more impressed with Stretton tonight than I’ve seen previously, he’s maybe a goal (or a keepers glove) away from a decent run. 

‘Scoring at the right time’ is a weird footballing cliche, but Salford can kick themselves for going 2 goals ahead so early. They looked lost as they tried to defend the lead and invited pressure.

I thought a lot of the young lads have been great,  I just don't rate Stretton at the moment , really hoping he can make the step up but he just seems a little lost to me , doesn't do anything wrong but just never seems to get on the ball much 

Don't post a lot but plenty of positives tonight for me.

Seen a few criticisms of Stretton, whereas I was really impressed (weird how we all see the game differently). I thought his movement was superb, also Michael Owen-esque off the shoulder and actually allowed Watson to play them superb passes.

Unpopular opinion but I am not CKR's biggest fan (although I admit he serves a purpose for us the way things stand) and I think Stretton is a genuine serious option for us as he allows us to play a different, more expansive way. For example, Watson wouldn't be making them passes with CKR up front as there would be no-one making the runs. That being said, I thought Stretton looked understandably rusty in terms of his touch and reactions but that will come with games and not something I am concerned about.

Thought Watson and Sibley were standout tonight. Watson got a lot of the plaudits but thought Sibley was excellent again tonight and in my opinion is the most dangerous player in our squad and simply has to play. Watson is a delightfully cultured footballer. Both very good in their own rights.

Festy is a bit of an anomaly and it showed tonight. Frightening pace and direct dribbling ability but his technical ability and decision making is awful. Will still be a very good option to have and will scare teams to death because of the former.

Yes it is Salford and I am not getting carried away with a penalty win over a League Two side but that is the most I have enjoyed watching Derby play for a long time. We actually showed creativity and intent so hats off to the young lads for that and the character they showed.