What do you prefer as a Forum Reader?

i-Ram

Not been on here much this weekend as my friend has stayed over with me and spent time with her. I didn't see the Notts county game but am glad we won. I might be regarded by some as someone who is overly negative but I haven't been 'avoiding' posting because of the positive result. I'll probably watch the highlights early tomorrow morning and post my thoughts on what I've seen after I've bought my huddersfield ticket. 

Btw, it might just be me but I really loathe the term 'wrist slasher' for someone who is considered a 'negative poster'. I totally get it's a term that is regularly used and in jest oftentimes but would it be possible for posters to use a more sensitive term if possible?

50 minutes ago, i-Ram said:

I actually didn’t Jimbo ? I said if we had lost there would have been lots of wrist slashing posts. You can write a wrist slashing post without being a wrist slasher. Like you can frequently consume a lot of alcohol without being an alcoholic. 

So who would have been making these posts then ?

1 hour ago, Tyler Durden said:

Like anything variety is the spice of life, what does irk me is the targetting of members whom don't fit in with the line of thinking of another poster and the stereotyping accordingly which is extremely narrow minded. 

Hope my little bites are taken in the spirit intended x. 

You miserable crow.

It's nice to read happy posts when we have won.

A good debate is interesting too.

Most people seem to make-up after a bit if to-ing and fro-ing.

But, the so-called negative posters usually seem to be sharing genuine worries.

In years gone by, I have never felt the need to be interested in football finance, or the other stuff - just the results. I don't really even understand football tactics very much! 

It was simple for me. Happier on Monday if we had won. Sadder if we had lost.

I'm just a member of the Derby County tribe.

But, maybe, when we lose too much, then it leads to more people wanting to understand what's going on! So, I don't think we should get too cross with people who are being too negative. It's not their fault that we're losing - and it's not their fault that they are worried - and it's a natural reaction for some to sound negative.

I like the debates! And it's okay if they get passionate. But ...

I think that we should be kind to anyone feeling negative, and we should not really make too many personal comments.

I prefer posters who are balanced. When there is something to criticise, they criticise; when there is something to praise, they praise. In the main I prefer positivity to negativity, but if there is justifiable criticism then I prefer reasoned argument to ranting and vitriolic hyperbole. 

Whatever the stance on ‘wrist slasher’ Vs ‘happy clapper’ I think it is an undeniable truth that there are some posters who find a cloud for every silver lining and who will leave no stone unturned to find a way to have a dig at Mel/the club/certain players. Equally, there are some who get so upset at any criticism that reason can also go out of the window and we descend into the aforementioned happy clapper vs wrist slasher debate.  Super and uncritical positivity in spite of all evidence to the contrary can be just as off putting as the opposite (though easier to ignore in my case).

For myself, I’m probably a glass half full kind of guy and have undoubtedly gotten into arguments on here with people I consider to be overly negative (though less so in recent years as I have grown up and realise you can’t win an internet argument so there’s no point). I also haven’t posted much recently because there isn’t a lot to be positive about and I’m certainly not going to try to persuade people otherwise (though I still occasionally try to put a less negative spin on some things).

So, in conclusion, I prefer a forum without entrenched views, where people can observe what is happening, comment on it, change their minds as the context changes and do so in peace and harmony. Oh and I like puns too. Yes, must have puns.

There seems to be a strange misconception that ANY Derby fans are actually pleased when we lose. Surely by definition of a fan that simply isn't the case ? I'm certainly not of the 'happy clappy' persuasion but I definitely want us to win every single game we play. Some may choose to temper the enthusiasm of a particular win if say for example the opposition wasn't up to much. That's OK right ? Beating Fulham this season is surely going to be received in a different way to narrowly seeing off Stockport County in a cup game with a soft penalty.

Fundamentally, discussing the shortcomings of the squad is part and parcel of having a Forum just as much as praising good individual and teams performances. It's not a case of either/or (of your scenarios) because I wouldn't want the lack of perspective of just having one of them. Sometimes when I'm on a bit of a downer after a bad result I find it useful that someone is able to pick some positives. OK, we lost 1-0 but they are a decent side and we have only conceded 2 goals in 5 games or whatever. I might counter and say that we have only scored 2 in 5 but that's kind of the point of the forum ? ?

I think the biggest danger is that differences in how you see things relating to DCFC spill over into increasingly pithy comments and drift into name calling. I don't expect all posters to agree with me (god knows, I not the oracle of all wisdom !) but I'd hope that you could come up with a good counter argument as to why I am perhaps seeing things more unfavourably than perhaps I need to, rather than just calling me a clueless **** ?

As regards the forum in general, I think on the whole the debates are conducted in the spirit in which they are intended and serious disagreements (beyond just pithy responses) are relatively uncommon compared the sheer weight of forum posts. As others have said, it'd be a dull forum if everyone agreed on everything !