The latest from the club via Chris Coles

Heisenberg

9 minutes ago, Sidd10 said:

Victims of a bloated squad or victims of not really being good enough? 

Rawson is now 25 and playing League 2 football 

Hanson is now 25 and playing League 1 football

Vernam is now 24 and playing League 2 football

Guy is now 24 and playing League 2 football

Fair play, they are professional footballers and they are doing much better at the game than I could ever dream of!

But lets be realistic, we haven't held them back from Premier league super stardom, we haven't even held them back from playing for Derby County.

We were playoff contenders throughout all the years mentioned where not very many of the youngsters played, you can't just go chucking in youngsters. The ones who are decent have got minutes, the ones who weren't good enough... didn't. 

Leaves Hendrick as our most successful sale from the academy in terms of money and game time in the premiership 

5 minutes ago, Sidd10 said:

Victims of a bloated squad or victims of not really being good enough? 

Rawson is now 25 and playing League 2 football 

Hanson is now 25 and playing League 1 football

Vernam is now 24 and playing League 2 football

Guy is now 24 and playing League 2 football

Fair play, they are professional footballers and they are doing much better at the game than I could ever dream of!

But lets be realistic, we haven't held them back from Premier league super stardom, we haven't even held them back from playing for Derby County.

We were playoff contenders throughout all the years mentioned where not very many of the youngsters played, you can't just go chucking in youngsters. The ones who are decent have got minutes, the ones who weren't good enough... didn't. 

From a financial point of view you should have the likes of Rawson as emergency cover at CB, rather than have Pearce or Shackell sitting on their bums for the entire season except for a 10 minute spell.
You have Hanson in their because he offers emergency cover in multiple positions, rather than having 7 CMs on more than £20k, a 3rd LB on over £10k and similar at RB.

Lowe was no better at 22 than he was at 18, because he didn't get the football his ability deserved.4 years of lost game time, and you don't think that hindered his potential? The others similar, but to a lesser extent.

Just now, Ghost of Clough said:

It's only been a thing since Cocu came, and appeared to be dwindling again under Rooney (limited game time for Sibley and Buchanan)

Lowe easily should have had much more game time in the years previous. So too Bennett. Many others such as Elsnik more than deserved a shot in the team.

Agree with this and I think it's comparative. Even though some might only have been fringe players they could have offered at least as much Anya, Camara, Blackman etc. for a fraction of the cost.

Elsnik now club captain and a regular full international and still only 23. 

JHI came back from lockdown overweight and was quickly binned off. His career has panned since but he didn't get much of a chance to pull it round. 

Bennett was never good enough for Derby fans.

In a similar way there are some fans convinced none of our youngsters are good enough to step up now. I hope they prove the doubters wrong but they stand a much better chance of that if we get behind them and believe in them.

1 minute ago, TuffLuff said:

Looking forward to the moment everyone realises David posted his thoughts on the official meeting thread and no one noticed because it’s pinned at the top of the page 

I fully assumed it would be there - Preferably added and then re-locked to save the spam 

I really can't be arsed to trawl through all the bile and vitriol by posters who are continually posting contradictory posts (such as Mel / the club should have never said anything during the failed takeovers. Now that we are keeping that matter private it's all we need to know what's happening. FFS!) 

So can anyone please provide a balanced summary of where we are at if indeed any communication has been allowed?

To the mods / admin, I'd like to say thank you to you for having the stamina to put up with all this crap from people who aren't happy unless they are inventing a crisis and then moaning about it, and for keeping some semblance of balance and sensibility about the forum. Balance and sensibility which are sadly lacking from a lot of people.

15 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

You should keep an eye out for more of my posts ?

Top 3 for the past 2 seasons.

After 41 games last season we were 2nd on minutes to U21s to Blackburn (9765 vs 9832), and 2nd to Reading for minutes to academy graduates (9154 vs 12970)

image.png.2ae69a897f7a311c0f72d28aab8c4a28.png

The argument could be that by not playing them, we hindered their progress. Even by giving them a few minutes here and there, we could have boosted their value and got small fees for them. McAllister and JML effectively both left for nothing in the end.

Lowe had an excellent spell in the side in 16/17, including MOM vs Wolves. It wasn't until 19/20 when he had another run in the side. Bennett made 28 apps in the league up to and including 13/14. He made just 7 more before Lampard came in and made him a regular - yielding 8 goal contributions in just 1256 league and playoff minutes.
These two examples will be the main ones Mel would have been referring to.

Hanson, Rawson, Vernam, Elsnik and Guy are other notable victims of managers opting for a bloated squad.

This in particular is something I worry we once again are going to fall into the trap of and possibly waste some talented players. We've already let Whittaker go to help fuel some January loans and I can't help shake the feeling that some of the trialists being brought in could be unecessarily blocking the path of talented academy players that just need a run of games.

Take the following with a pinch of salt as everything is up in there but I am going to assume based on the recent noises from Alan Nixon that we plan on (if we can) signing all the trialists and Mengi if we can. If we start at the back we absolutely need to bring centre backs without a doubt but if we sign everyone we seemingly plan on doing that would mean Jagielka, Davies, Wisdom, Stearman and possibly Mengi. Now you can easily make the argument for the need to have a couple really solid defenders come in and perhaps someone with pace but do we need all of them ? Especially when you have someone like Cashin who looks like he's ready for playing a handful of games. 

If we take a look at defensive midfield we are seemingly taking a look a Caroll a player who is arguably just an older Bird without the potential to go further and it's position which whilst we are a little thin right now have both Bielik and arguably Knight to come back from. And at a glance it's a position that we have several players in the academy that could come up as. 

Moving on to attacking midfield where we look to be bringing in Aluko and Morrison. Aluko you can argue makes sense as we are a bit thin on the ground for more out and out wide players. But is Morrison really necessary when it means two of our bigger academy talents in Sibley and Watson will be pushed a rung down the ladder and especially as Morrison is far from a player you can rely upon.

Finally up front; yes I get the argument we need a striker, yes I can understand that perhaps you don't want to go into a season with CKR as your number one without much backup but does Baldock seriously offer enough that you wouldn't even contemplate giving Stretton a serious chunk of game time? Especially as you know that as soon as we are freed to actually spend a little money again this is almost certainly a position to revisit.

With all this said don't take these as firm criticisms the coming season will be long and difficult to predict with chances likely to come academy players whether by design or by necessity. This more me just getting something off my chest that's been nagging at me for a couple weeks.

Just now, CollyerDCFC said:

Hi all.

I'm new to the forum here. Been a Derby fan since 98 but had a 4 year sabbatical from football following due to general malaise.

Quick question:

Could someone enlighten me a bit on who Alan Nixon is and if he is a reliable source?

He is a journalist for the Sun.

He is a bit of a standing joke, at times, but at other times he seems to get things spot on.

He clearly has sources, genuine sources, I'd imagine a few agents or people within the club.

He tends to get staffing issues correct, I seem to recall him breaking the Darren Bent joining us story too.

I read what he says, but dont put your house on what he reports.

13 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

From a financial point of view you should have the likes of Rawson as emergency cover at CB, rather than have Pearce or Shackell sitting on their bums for the entire season except for a 10 minute spell.
You have Hanson in their because he offers emergency cover in multiple positions, rather than having 7 CMs on more than £20k, a 3rd LB on over £10k and similar at RB.

Lowe was no better at 22 than he was at 18, because he didn't get the football his ability deserved.4 years of lost game time, and you don't think that hindered his potential? The others similar, but to a lesser extent.

Hindsight is beautiful to say that's what we should have done those years, to stop the current situation.

But at the time of playoff pushes if we had a squad of 13 or 14 'experienced' players and the rest made up of Jamie Hanson's, Farrend Rawson's and Callum Guy's, the Manager and Mel would have been on the end of similar abuse to now. 

Again, you can't just chuck them in because they are young and cheap wages. The good ones all got minutes.

Will Hughes played 165 games for us by the time he was 22 cause he was good enough. 

Jeff Hendrick played 196 games for us by 23/24 because he was good enough.

Edited by Sidd10
typo on Hendrick!

3 minutes ago, CollyerDCFC said:

Hi all.

I'm new to the forum here. Been a Derby fan since 98 but had a 4 year sabbatical from football following due to general malaise.

Quick question:

Could someone enlighten me a bit on who Alan Nixon is and if he is a reliable source?

Sun journo

3 minutes ago, CollyerDCFC said:

Hi all.

Quick question:

He’s a cryptic FUD who’s not worth the clickbait attention. He talks riddles and leaves things open ended so he doesn’t look stupid when nothing happens. He then blocks people who question him. Does have reliable sources at Wigan tho. 

4 minutes ago, angieram said:

Agree with this and I think it's comparative. Even though some might only have been fringe players they could have offered at least as much Anya, Camara, Blackman etc. for a fraction of the cost.

Elsnik now club captain and a regular full international and still only 23. 

JHI came back from lockdown overweight and was quickly binned off. His career has panned since but he didn't get much of a chance to pull it round. 

Bennett was never good enough for Derby fans.

In a similar way there are some fans convinced none of our youngsters are good enough to step up now. I hope they prove the doubters wrong but they stand a much better chance of that if we get behind them and believe in them.

Yep the ABC players you mention - 2 goals total in at least 3 years I don’t count Camara heavily deflected one 

For me Bennett showed he offered more than them put together and a lot more but he suffered with the curse of the Derby fan seeing his name for four years before being 20 yrs old and because he wasn’t Michael Owen dismissed - Even after embarrassing himself at  joiner gate he would have been better than so many brought in, whilst covering all the forward positions. 

31 minutes ago, Philmycock said:

Someone at the club has

I'm not sure why you think that just because I have a different opinion to you.  I know a lot of people at the club, parents of academy players, first team players and their families, previous directors, which probably gives me a different perspective on the club because I hear the ins and outs of what is really going on.

4 minutes ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

He is a journalist for the Sun.

He is a bit of a standing joke, at times, but at other times he seems to get things spot on.

He clearly has sources, genuine sources, I'd imagine a few agents or people within the club.

He tends to get staffing issues correct, I seem to recall him breaking the Darren Bent joining us story too.

I read what he says, but dont put your house on what he reports.

Thanks all.

I shall go grab a big handful of salt then.