Captain Tom Lawrence

RoyMac5

1 minute ago, Ramarena said:

To be fair to Lawrence he’s one of our most productive attacking players this season along with Davies, Shinnie and Knight.

Sadly he is absolutely not and never has been captain material.

Yes, we are not scoring many goals and he has contributed to more than most. 

He is what he is. A talented attacking midfielder who can win games one week and frustrate the next as is the case with most in his position at this level. For every performance of his like Forest or Luton there will be one like last night. Surprisingly putting a piece of cloth around his arm hasn’t changed this but I don’t think that is his fault or justifies some of the stick I see he is getting in this thread (plenty not related to his captaincy at all). Besides, we only see what happens on the pitch. Maybe he is a good influence on Morrison behind the scenes, who he seems close with. Or maybe getting into a frenzy about who the captain is is a complete waste of energy because whoever wears that piece of cloth will not change the personality of the players selected. Davies and Jagielka will lead as it is in their nature to do so, perhaps Lawrence won’t. But who really cares?

I find it a shame that it has only taken a couple of poor results to see fans start ripping in to players again. Not just Lawrence but he is one that gets it more than most for whatever reason. It is not his or any other players or coaches fault we are in this position so it would be nice if we could continue to get behind them.

I dare say he had his chance to get out of this poo show in the summer and didn’t take it.

I've said it since he's been here. He's a 1 in 8 player.

Will turn up, have a decent game, score a goal and then you won't see him again. Every season. 

To make him captain was bizarre. Admittedly Davies & Jagielka weren't signed at that point. But Shinnie was here. So at that time I would have given it to Shinnie.

We never hear from him either. After a poor game or a difficult defeat, it's the same players who front up. Curtis Davies, Graeme Shinnie and last night it was Jagielka. 

Davies had posted something on Instagram. 

That's a captain. A captain is someone who says, lads this was awful today, we're gonna get some stick here. I'll be the one that fronts up and faces the media. 

Never ever does.

His contract is up in the summer. The sooner he's out of this football club. The better.

We're a better team without him in it.

13 hours ago, SirBrian said:

Agree with you Sparkle, said the same should have got rid 2 years ago, when idiots would have paid decent money for the overated and definetly overpaid flop, for me he is another Tom Ince mark 2.

Tom Ince is one of the best players we've had in the last decade

56 minutes ago, MACKWORTHRAM said:

Will turn up, have a decent game, score a goal and then you won't see him again. Every season. 

To make him captain was bizarre. Admittedly Davies & Jagielka weren't signed at that point. But Shinnie was here. So at that time I would have given it to Shinnie.

We never hear from him either. After a poor game or a difficult defeat, it's the same players who front up. Curtis Davies, Graeme Shinnie and last night it was Jagielka. 

That's a captain. A captain is someone who says, lads this was awful today, we're gonna get some stick here. I'll be the one that fronts up and faces the media. 

Never ever does.

His contract is up in the summer. The sooner he's out of this football club. The better.

100% agree ref Rooney making him captain !!!.

Shows  Rooneys  knowledge of football and management is very poor.

4 minutes ago, Ramfan1958 said:

100% agree ref Rooney making him captain !!!.

Shows  Rooneys  knowledge of football and management is very poor.

Utter Baldocks.

Giving responsibility to someone who has had a troublesome past/struggled with personal problems or just not performing, often improves that person and gives them that sense of purpose to better themselves and in the main it does.

It doesn't appear to have made much difference in Lawrence's case.

However it does not in the slightest show that Rooney has a poor knowledge of football 

1 hour ago, MACKWORTHRAM said:

Never ever does.

I think the reality is with Lawrence, he is our main attacking player and expected to lead by example - yet we have been the lowest scorers in the division for almost 2 years now. It speaks for itself doesn't it?

Just now, alram said:

I think the reality is with Lawrence, he is our main attacking player and expected to lead by example - yet we have been the lowest scorers in the division for almost 2 years now. It speaks for itself doesn't it?

But he was in the free scoring Lampard side. So no it doesnt speak for itself. 

19 hours ago, Black ('n' White) Sheep said:

Why the hell is Tom Lawrence club captain?!

Davies, Jagielka, Shinnie... all three would be better choices.

Well Shinnie was the only one under contract at the time would have had him mind as captain - can’t blame Rooney for trying to get more focus out of Lawrence 

• 2 weeks later...

If we can believe reports in the papers Captain Tom will be allowed to leave for free in January. Rooney will have to pick a new captain when he sees which players are still with us. We can debate all day long if Tom was good value for £37,000 a week, but getting that amount off the wage bill could help us keep Knight.

5 minutes ago, jimtastic56 said:

If we can believe reports in the papers Captain Tom will be allowed to leave for free in January. Rooney will have to pick a new captain when he sees which players are still with us. We can debate all day long if Tom was good value for £37,000 a week, but getting that amount off the wage bill could help us keep Knight.

No brainier to get rid. He’s literally useless and he’s captain makes it worse. He’s never lived up to the hype and transfer fee we paid for him. Be very happy to see the back of him