Captain Tom Lawrence

RoyMac5

On 22/07/2021 at 11:05, jono said:

As to your first sentence, no there probably wasn’t, but the dripping sarcasm directed at Rooney and Lawrence made your opinion abundantly clear. From my post you’ll gather that we don’t agree. 

Can't imagine that there are many who still consider Rooney to be a person of sound judgement. Then again, I could be wrong on that one....

I made a New Year's Resolution to be positive about Tom Lawrence.

I'm not sure how long I have to keep it up. I was thinking that it was for a year, but maybe it is for life.

So, although my heart sank when he stepped up to take the penalty, it is brilliant that he scored. And I'm happy for him to chip some in. Most goalies dive in any case, and if it makes some goalies stand their ground in future, then he's more likely to score in the corners.

4 hours ago, Ken Tram said:

I made a New Year's Resolution to be positive about Tom Lawrence.

I'm not sure how long I have to keep it up. I was thinking that it was for a year, but maybe it is for life.

So, although my heart sank when he stepped up to take the penalty, it is brilliant that he scored. And I'm happy for him to chip some in. Most goalies dive in any case, and if it makes some goalies stand their ground in future, then he's more likely to score in the corners.

I remember Southampton away in the cup and the penalties.. up walks Lawrence and nearly everyone looked at each other thinking 'ffs Tom don't miss this' we know what reaction of some would be... then keogh followed him.... fair play to both taking them considering their popularity with the boo boys 

1 hour ago, kevinhectoring said:

You make it sound very easy 

Well actually it should be. A professional footballer should be able to put the ball in the corner of the net from a penalty. That should mean they are at least 50:50 to score and like I say add the option of a penenka and you’re at 2 in 3.

It’s like taking a corner or a free kick. I can never forgive a winger from taking a corner and free kick and hitting the head of the first defender. It’s really not that difficult to lift the ball over the first man - and playing those percentages again you’re not going to score off the first defenders head, so why oh why do it?? 

Football fans don’t help. “I just want you to put it in the corner” means “I just want a 50:50 chance of a penalty. Well that’s just silly, I want a better chance than that from my penalty kicks, so throw in penenkas and waiting for the goalie to dive and I’ll accept the odd miss or save as I know you’re increasing your chances of scoring.

it’s a bit like supporters going mad because you get a corner when actually only 1 in 20 corners actually result in a goal.

9 minutes ago, archram said:

Sorry if it’s a dumb question but why is it called a panenka?

In association football, the Panenka is a technique used while taking a penalty kick in which the taker, instead of kicking the ball to the left or right of the goalkeeper, gives a light touch underneath the ball, causing it to rise and fall within the centre of the goal, deceiving the goalkeeper who is counted on by the taker to have guessed a side and committed to a dive away from the centre. It was invented by Czech player Antonín Panenka, who introduced this technique to the world in the UEFA Euro 1976 final in Belgrade, when he beat West German goalkeeper Sepp Maier to claim the title for the Czechoslovakian national team.

17 hours ago, europia said:

Can't imagine that there are many who still consider Rooney to be a person of sound judgement. Then again, I could be wrong on that one....

Count me still as a Rooney fan. He will succeed in management and he needs to do it with us first. We will have a much better idea at the end of January. If we had been taken over would he look to be a better manager with better players on board.

Can someone list the only possible ways out of this EFL mess. 

On 13/07/2021 at 21:30, Mckram said:

I feel like this decision isn’t about who is best to lead the team but more that Rooney feels like it might help improve Tom’s attitude and get more out of him.

Whenever games aren’t going his way he is soon to have his head down, so I’ll be interested to see if this changes him.

I’ll get behind him and hope he takes this as a turning point in his career to realise he’s no longer that young player with potential but now a senior figure in the squad that should be leading by example. 

Absolutely. There are several others who are so much more obvious choices: Curtis D, Shinnie, CKR. 

Sometimes giving somebody an aspirational challenge can be just the tonic they need to "flick" the psychological switch and become a leader. I'm pretty certain that others in the camp will be offering TL the advice that he needs. As Mckram says, it prompts a few observational questions of TL:

1. Will he be a vocal and demonstrative leader on the pitch? I think he needs to show that.

2. Will his self-discipline and attitude towards being "baited" by opposition "wums" improve. That needs to happen.

3. Will his personal contribution to our attacking dept increase? It needs to. He tends to be a "1 in 4" player ie 1 good performance, and 3 very mediocre ones {he was virtually invisible v Notts Co at the weekend, gave 2 very sloppy balls away} and then scored the penalty {which some criticised him for, given its style}. 

He certainly needs media training. His tone of voice, eye-contact, speech pattern and speech volume need work; and his body language on and of the pitch suggest a young man who keeps his problems inside and they weigh his shoulders down. So, he really ought to get some help with this.

Also, it is a gamble by Wazza. If 2 (above) doesn't happen, then Wazza must be prepared to re-think. But reversing the decision at some point in the future could be very counter-productive...egg on face, doubts about Wazza's judgement underlined, impact on TL himself. 

Myself, I would not have done this, but if it comes off and TL thrives, scores more and inspires the Team to unexpected glory, Wazza will look like a very astute motivator. Very interested to see how this develops then...

Apparently The Athletic has done a piece saying the Derby players were surprised Rooney picked Lawrence to be Captain: https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/wayne-rooney-decision-which-left-some-Derby-county-players-surprised-revealed/

The best thing is for Tom to contribute in a major way on Saturday and for us to come away with the win. Let's hope it happens.

47 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

I think he will be captain for no more than 6 weeks 

Less if these links to West Brom are true. 

No idea what he's worth in the current climate but he has consistently flattered to deceive so I won't be heart broken if he were to go over other players. 

1 minute ago, Chester40 said:

No idea what he's worth in the current climate but he has consistently flattered to deceive so I won't be heart broken if he were to go over other players. 

The same article that said we were selling him to West Brom said we were buying QPR's Tom Carroll. Says all you need to know about credibility.

58 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

Apparently The Athletic has done a piece saying the Derby players were surprised Rooney picked Lawrence to be Captain: https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/wayne-rooney-decision-which-left-some-Derby-county-players-surprised-revealed/

The best thing is for Tom to contribute in a major way on Saturday and for us to come away with the win. Let's hope it happens.

"Some of the group were surprised at the selection. That is not to say they were not on board with it, just that they felt there were more natural leaders at the club. They were intrigued as to how Lawrence would motivate the squad on and off the pitch, with some hoping he would become more vocal.

Importantly, Lawrence does have the respect of his team-mates and coaches. As Rooney said after the 2-1 friendly defeat to Manchester United a few weeks ago, the Welshman had become a leader in the changing room following his return from injury in late March."

1 hour ago, Chester40 said:

Absolutely agree in the flattered to deceive bit, but I’d argue that with the current state of the squad he’s currently one of our best, if not THE best of our players. 

I’m no fan of Tom’s but selling him now would be suicide. As things stand, the revenue he’d bring in could not go on better players and it’s unlikely he’d bring in enough to pay off the HMRC bill (if we do indeed actually still owe them)

7 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

"Some of the group were surprised at the selection. That is not to say they were not on board with it, just that they felt there were more natural leaders at the club. They were intrigued as to how Lawrence would motivate the squad on and off the pitch, with some hoping he would become more vocal.

Importantly, Lawrence does have the respect of his team-mates and coaches. As Rooney said after the 2-1 friendly defeat to Manchester United a few weeks ago, the Welshman had become a leader in the changing room following his return from injury in late March."

Not sure if anything Rooney says can be taken seriously. However, if Lawrence is still in the team on the final day of the season and we avoid relegation by a point (or GD come to that), then that will be an achievement in itself.