Phil Jagielka & Richard Stearman - Both Signed

Heisenberg

Well happy about jagielka think going to be massive signing!! I honestly believe if he was playing last Saturday you would of not seen the shambles in them 10 mins of injury time he simply would not of allowed  himself or others to switch off 

Saying that watch him play we'd and same thing happen ??

So chuffed about Jagielka .. sure he will be done for pace at some point, but a proper old pro. The sort of guy that can lift young heads. Get some movement in front of him and maybe we can survive with honour 

Do’n’t know enough about Baldock but he can run a channel and just maybe create space for young Jack. Stranger things have happened 

We just have to stop preparing for the worst, look for some light. Every game is 11 V 11 and starts at 0-0 

5 hours ago, IslandExile said:

You mean doing the 'Curtis Davies' role?

I suppose so. It was just that in the friendly game I saw a player who was so composed, positioned himself well and was far better with the ball at his feet than I had previously thought. He just looked deft and unhurried. Whether he plays with Davies ar is rotated with him, I have no idea. Like Davies, he must bring benefits to what is a very young team in difficult times. Add in physical presence/ability at corners and it looks to be a good short term signing for where we are at the moment.

Thing is, if Jags himself didn't think he had anything to offer, why would be bother to keep playing? He's made enough money to not need to play and probably had lots of offers to play lower league stuff so I'm leaning towards this being a good thing... optimistic fool that I am.

Not so long ago, a 32 year old was about finished, let alone 39! We now have Ronaldo at 36 as top scorer in Serie A, Ibra still being in the top 10 players in the world at 39 and Chiellieni at 37 still bossing things at the back for Italy. With sports science having moved on and players taking more care of themselves, their careers are much longer than previously.

Let's face it, we could do with a bit of luck so Jags doing a Paul McGrath would be a god-send this season.

Edited by Raich Carter

33 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

Jagielka will probably be our best ‘keeper too! 

Very much the 'tallest dwarf' award! Roos' 'save' from that 30 yarder against P'boro was frankly embarrassing. I honestly don't think he's good enough to be a professional goalkeeper, let alone one in the Championship - his positioning, anticipation, reactions and basically everything needed to keep goal was missing in that one moment. Shocking goalie. Anyway, as you were! ?

2 minutes ago, oomarkwright said:

Wonder what Yacko Banovic is doing these days? 

First game he played, against Sheffield Wednesday which we won 3-1, a simple shot from the edge of the area, straight at him, and he punched it with both hands, to safety. He had replaced traditional English keeper Roger Jones. The crowd were aghast, we all looked around at each other, 'you don't do that over here'. Forty years on keepers now save shorts from 30 yards with their back foot and catching a cross has become a dirty word. How times have changed.

8 hours ago, Raich Carter said:

Very much the 'tallest dwarf' award! Roos' 'save' from that 30 yarder against P'boro was frankly embarrassing. I honestly don't think he's good enough to be a professional goalkeeper, let alone one in the Championship - his positioning, anticipation, reactions and basically everything needed to keep goal was missing in that one moment. Shocking goalie. Anyway, as you were! ?

Did it go in?

3 hours ago, Raich Carter said:

By complete and utter sheer luck, no.  Did it make him look a complete ar5e? Yes. 

Couldn’t care less about how he looks - as long as he keeps the ball out of the net, he can save it however he likes.

Is he up to Poom or Shilton’s level?  No, but he is a better keeper than you give him credit for, and he’s certainly better than a fair few keepers in the championship… (including two at Derby)