Phil Jagielka & Richard Stearman - Both Signed

Heisenberg

1 hour ago, Premier ram said:

A steady performance yesterday in what must of been a difficult few days for him , saw enough to suggest he wont be nowhere near as bad a signing as some people think

He’s been around long enough to know his job - where to stand when to challenge whilst obviously in a race he isn’t going to be quick.

#dcfc are set to sign free agent Phil Jagielka on Tuesday. Jagielka will sign a short-term contract after leaving Sheffield United at the end of last season. Derby are also hopeful of signing Sam Baldock after Kazim-Richards injury, subject to EFL approval - Percy has spoken

Thank god for that. Before CKR got injured, I'd have said that Jagielka would have been the most important signing we could have made this season. 39 or not, he's going to make a real difference.

Obviously now we also need a striker, whether Baldock is the answer or not I don't really know. However when the trialists we have are taking up offers at League 1 clubs instead, it's quite clear we're very far from being in a position where we can be picky.

Edit: And when I say could've made, I mean realistically from the players we've had on trial, obviously.

Edited by Kernow

Jagielka was the one we had I trial that I liked the most. He's a very good competitor and despite getting on in his years, I feel he can definitely still provide a good option at this level. He's someone, who regardless of our situation, I wouldn't mind at the club to help keep the younger players focused. It also allows us to rotate our centre backs to keep them as fresh as possible. Mengi would still be a nice addition, but a striker is definitely more pressing. 

Baldock, I'm not convinced, but in all honesty we've not got much of a choice and I said the same (in fact much worse) about CKR. 

5 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

Baldock, I'm not convinced, but in all honesty we've not got much of a choice and I said the same (in fact much worse) about CKR. 

He's just a completely different type of striker, isn't he. Almost exactly opposite to CKR really. I assume whatever our plan is for the season, was largely focused around CKR leading the line mostly. That's going to have to change if we're going with Baldock for nearly every game.

30 minutes ago, Kernow said:

He's just a completely different type of striker, isn't he. Almost exactly opposite to CKR really. I assume whatever our plan is for the season, was largely focused around CKR leading the line mostly. That's going to have to change if we're going with Baldock for nearly every game.

No point signing Baldock, when we've got kids who can play that role at half the price.

42 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

Jagielka was the one we had I trial that I liked the most. He's a very good competitor and despite getting on in his years, I feel he can definitely still provide a good option at this level. He's someone, who regardless of our situation, I wouldn't mind at the club to help keep the younger players focused. It also allows us to rotate our centre backs to keep them as fresh as possible. Mengi would still be a nice addition, but a striker is definitely more pressing. 

The thing with Baldock is I'm not convinced he really solves anything. His goal record is poor, his legs aren't what they used to be and I feel like Stretton can play that role whilst being more clinical. Personally I'd rather play Stretton over him and frankly Lawrence as a false 9.

However if CKR is basically going to be out for a huge amount of time and we really don't think we can get literally anybody else then needs must I suppose purely for numbers. 

38 minutes ago, Kernow said:

See whilst I'm against his signing... I actually think the plan was to set up this season with Baldock leading the line based on pre-season. Tactically we've gone into this season with at least partly an idea to try whatever we can to get the most out of Lawrence and it's very possible Rooney figured it would suit Lawrence better to have somebody stretch the space out in front of him/someone to run in behind when Lawrence drops deep.