Phil Jagielka & Richard Stearman - Both Signed

Heisenberg

14 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

The problem with signing promising youngsters from lower divisions is that they cost money. There may be a small problem with that.

We're limited to free agents and loans right now.

Free agents previously at PL/Champ clubs:

• Gary Cahill
  • Scott Dann
  • Phil Jagielka
  • Adrian Mariappa
  • Richard Stearman
  • Richard Keogh
  • Tommy Elphick
  • Sol Bamba
  • Tom Lees

Cahill and Dann will likely be out of our price range. Maybe Lees too. Bamba, Mariappa and Elphick would struggle to stay fit for any meaningful length of time. I doubt we'll ever go in for Keogh. So Jagielka and Stearman...

Maybe someone like Cahill is who Rooney means when he says about having players lined up ready but cannot be completed just yet...over the 11.5k limit

Jagieka at 38 (39 next moth!) seems far too late (typical us) but Rooney will know him well so have to trust his judgement, especially if we see him in training too. Cheaper alernative to Cahill, and probably better terms than Davies.

Hopefully 6 month stop[-gap deal at most, unless he earns more.

Great trivia, his middle name is Nikodem. 

Was Stearman ever much cop?

Slight tangent, Bolton boss Evatt on Jagielka...

“Jags asked me if he could come in pre-season and it was a yes, because I always like to help out good, experienced pros to try and stay in the game. And it would have been just that.

“But then we got the media fanfare, the expectancy that fans seemed to have for signing that sort of player, it’s just no good for anybody.

“It’s certainly no good for the group, who we’re trying to hide from all the distractions and sideshows. We decided to move on."

So refreshing to hear.

1 hour ago, Rample said:

Jagieka at 38 (39 next moth!) seems far too late (typical us) but Rooney will know him well so have to trust his judgement, especially if we see him in training too. Cheaper alernative to Cahill, and probably better terms than Davies.

“Jags asked me if he could come in pre-season and it was a yes, because I always like to help out good, experienced pros to try and stay in the game. And it would have been just that.

“But then we got the media fanfare, the expectancy that fans seemed to have for signing that sort of player, it’s just no good for anybody.

“It’s certainly no good for the group, who we’re trying to hide from all the distractions and sideshows. We decided to move on."

So refreshing to hear.

Indeed

1 hour ago, Rample said:

So refreshing to hear.

Understand the analogy but it’s a bit different jags signing for Bolton than signing for Derby at the minute. Jagielka wouldn’t even be in the top 5 of big name signings in the last few years, there’s hardly going to be a media circus if he signs for a year.

15 minutes ago, QuitYourJibbaJivin said:

Understand the analogy but it’s a bit different jags signing for Bolton than signing for Derby at the minute. Jagielka wouldn’t even be in the top 5 of big name signings in the last few years, there’s hardly going to be a media circus if he signs for a year.

Wasn't thinking he was going to start a media circus training with us, just that Evatt's comments in general are the kind of sensible thing I long to hear at Derby - no drama, no circus, just football.

57 minutes ago, Rample said:

Wasn't thinking he was going to start a media circus training with us, just that Evatt's comments in general are the kind of sensible thing I long to hear at Derby - no drama, no circus, just football.

The drama and the circus often help with media profile which helps pay the bills. Bolton who? Jags is causing a stir with them?! How far and fast they've fallen...

18 hours ago, Philmycock said:

Do we have the worst scouting network in football history?

We've got no money and we're under a transfer embargo. You can blame our scouting team for a lot of things, but they've got both their hands tied behind their back whilst trying to walk a tightrope with a blindfold on atm. Don't really think you can critcise them too much this time.

2 minutes ago, GenBr said:

We've got no money and we're under a transfer embargo. You can blame our scouting team for a lot of things, but they've got both their hands tied behind their back whilst trying to walk a tightrope with a blindfold on atm. Don't really think you can critcise them too much this time.

Not their fault they bumped into Jagielka and Stearman at the bingo. 

2 hours ago, GenBr said:

I think I can

12 minutes ago, Philmycock said:

I think I can

Whatever makes you happy. 

We've not even signed these two yet, but if you think another recruitment team can do better under these circumstances i'm not going to argue. 

I have been talking to my mate up at Sheffield United and he says jagielka is still very fit and continues to be able to pass the ball out well from defence and would definitely be a decent short term signing meanwhile they appear to be signing Matt Clarke for £3 million it seems, so we will see how it all plays out. 

Its not like Derby fans to ridicule and fill this forum with negatives on potential signings is it? Lets see if we sign them first , and if we do why not give them a chance for a change , instead of all this constant hes too old , never been very good , could find better in lower leagues , rather play the tea lady nonsense that seems to accompany most of our rumoured new players

8 minutes ago, Premier ram said:

Its not like Derby fans to ridicule and fill this forum with negatives on potential signings is it? Lets see if we sign them first , and if we do why not give them a chance for a change , instead of all this constant hes too old , never been very good , could find better in lower leagues , rather play the tea lady nonsense that seems to accompany most of our rumoured new players

Isn’t this forum all about debate and differing opinions? Surely when we are linked with players the idea is to express your view, positive or negative. Or would you rather we all just said yep that will be a good signing regardless? It makes no difference once the player puts on the shirt, would get my 100 % support ?

10 minutes ago, Jimbo Ram said:

Isn’t this forum all about debate and differing opinions? Surely when we are linked with players the idea is to express your view, positive or negative. Or would you rather we all just said yep that will be a good signing regardless? It makes no difference once the player puts on the shirt, would get my 100 % support ?

What i said was , see if we sign either of them first before all the negativity starts , most of the negative posts on here have not come up with any alternative names to the 2 players in question , at the moment we are limited to what we can sign so why dont we show a more welcoming attitude to potential new signings whoever they may be

My main concern is - what message does this send to our youth players? Surely they have ambition to play for the first team, and we're opting for a comparative pensioner instead of our own youth. I appreciate they may not be quite the calibre we need - but are we saying Jagielka and Stearman are?