GB news

Archied

5 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

Some ad hominem stuff on here. Currently all the UK broadcast news media speaks with a single voice. It's relentlessly negative and it also hectors a lot of people, telling them what they should think rather than reporting news.

The GB News stuff I've seen so far looks different and that has to be a good thing. There are lots of voices from left and right, and they debate but it's civil. In some ways like The Pledge on Sky News. 

Andrew Neil launched Sky News and is genuinely regarded as the most impressive political interviewer the BBC had for many years. People like Alastair Stewart are traditional, proper news people. The ratings for the first night were far in excess of either BBC News or Sky News which was a very impressive debut, despite the obvious technical difficulties. But those technical issues are easily fixed. I sometimes get asked onto Russia Today to do interviews, but might well try pitching myself as a space/future expert for GB News!

Isn’t space on the red list? The Venus variant being of concern 

6 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

Some ad hominem stuff on here. Currently all the UK broadcast news media speaks with a single voice. It's relentlessly negative and it also hectors a lot of people, telling them what they should think rather than reporting news.

Can't really see what gb news does differently apart from being almost exclusively commentary.

It all seems like LBC/TalkRadio but in TV so I wouldn't say its unique in that way either. 

I don't think gb news presents a positive outlook either, it looks for conflict and certainly its main role is not presenting news. 

Sky has set the standard for TV news for years. CNN International isn't bad either but the US focused stuff can be tedious. 

The GB News stuff I've seen so far looks different and that has to be a good thing. There are lots of voices from left and right, and they debate but it's civil. In some ways like The Pledge on Sky News. 

From what I've seen so far (just opening night) it wasn't civil. Sky News press preview is civil. 

Andrew Neil launched Sky News and is genuinely regarded as the most impressive political interviewer the BBC had for many years. People like Alastair Stewart are traditional, proper news people. The ratings for the first night were far in excess of either BBC News or Sky News which was a very impressive debut, despite the obvious technical difficulties. But those technical issues are easily fixed. I sometimes get asked onto Russia Today to do interviews, but might well try pitching myself as a space/future expert for GB News!

First night excitement... 

On 13/06/2021 at 23:50, Eddie said:

I was under the impression that 'Woke' is a term used to describe people and organisations that are pro-social justice and pro-racial justice.

Isn't that a good thing which we all ought to subscribe to?

No, not when some people's ideas of justice is close to communism. 

Edited by Marriot Ram99

In terms of the future of news reporting im most interested in the Byline Times to be honest. Essentially getting a paper once a month for a subscription fee. Won’t be everyone’s cup of tea obviously but they’ve been at the forefront of the Covid contracts controversy and in the Daniel Morgan Murder Inquiry, coincidentally the panel report is being released today.

https://bylinetimes.com/

I try to avoid the majority of TV news and haven't watched more than 2 minutes of GB news which I had to switch off due to some lunatic New Zealander shouting with out of sync vocals, but it's refreshing to see a channel that is in direct opposition to the main stream news channels and that has managed to trigger so many of the rampant lefties out there (many before they'd broadcast a single word)......

Having looked at the history of some of the major backers of GB News I would be very surprised if the overall narrative does not push for further deregulation of financial markets, more privatisations of public services, pro-corporate agendas, anti trade union legislation, campaigns against tax dodging laws, corporate courts that overrule government decisions, Freeports/Charter Cities that are outside the jurisdiction of the host country.

The so called culture wars are nothing but a smokescreen. We'll fight against each other while the major players continue to destroy any semblance of a decent society in their relentless pursuit of power and profit.

5 hours ago, alexxxxx said:

Can't really see what gb news does differently apart from being almost exclusively commentary.

It all seems like LBC/TalkRadio but in TV so I wouldn't say its unique in that way either. 

I don't think gb news presents a positive outlook either, it looks for conflict and certainly its main role is not presenting news. 

Sky has set the standard for TV news for years. CNN International isn't bad either but the US focused stuff can be tedious. 

From what I've seen so far (just opening night) it wasn't civil. Sky News press preview is civil. 

First night excitement... 

Time will tell. I normally watch the Papers on Sky News and it's great that it is usually civil (always way too short). It's great when people across the political divide have respect for each other and each other's views. Despite the hate on Twitter from opposite sides for both Owen Jones and Kate Andrews, they clearly get on well. Same for Polly Mackenzie and Alex Deane who are possibly my favourite pairing. And then Andrew Pierce and Kevin Maguire are like a married couple!

The biggest exception is Rachel Shabi who is universally rude to her co-presenter and sometimes Sonia Sodha who can be the same.

Edit: I agree Sky set the standards for years, after its founding by Andrew Neil, but it's let a lot of that go now with the arrogance and hectoring of its main reporting team, the likes of Adam Boulton. I once saw him introduce Jolyon Maugham as a guest to give an "unbiased legal view on Brexit"! Unless I see otherwise, I'll expect Andrew Neil to put a good team together and be a good editor again.

Edited by Carl Sagan

4 hours ago, TuffLuff said:

In terms of the future of news reporting im most interested in the Byline Times to be honest. Essentially getting a paper once a month for a subscription fee. Won’t be everyone’s cup of tea obviously but they’ve been at the forefront of the Covid contracts controversy and in the Daniel Morgan Murder Inquiry, coincidentally the panel report is being released today.

https://bylinetimes.com/

I was advocating for Byline on here a while ago

Byline Times is run by a small, dedicated team of journalists providing a platform for freelance reporters and writers to produce fearless journalism not found in the mainstream media.

Our aim is to concentrate on ‘what the papers don’t say’. We will follow the story wherever it goes, without fear or favour. No PR company, advertiser or press baron can influence the stories we choose to cover. Our integrity comes from our editorial independence.

While the newspaper is not politically partisan, it is not neutral and stands against corruption, injustice and the erosion of truth and the rule of law. Accurate information is the lifeblood of a democracy and, although everyone is welcome to their own opinions, facts cannot be debated.

Kind of sounds like what Max think GBeebies should be doing to me. But where is the love?

On 14/06/2021 at 12:54, maxjam said:

Personally I think there are a lot (and I mean a lot!) of people in this country who feel as though they don't have a voice and are being fed a constant diet of things they may or may not agree with. 

As mentioned in previous posts, if GB News can remain impartial and give airtime to the sides of the argument that the BBC and Sky ignore they potentially have a very large audience - that unlike the twitter narrative of being 'hard right' could more likely be the center left working class voter that feel abandoned by Labour. 

Not so much altruistic, more spotting an untapped market.

So just to be clear...

You believe GB News will be more impartial than Sky, ITV and the BBC?

Secondly, who are those news organisations biased against?

1 minute ago, sage said:

So just to be clear...

You believe GB News will be more impartial than Sky, ITV and the BBC?

I hope it will be - that is one of their mission aims after all.  Time will tell.

2 minutes ago, sage said:

Secondly, who are those news organisations biased against?

Don't watch ITV News, only watch a bit of Sky News but the BBC is London centric, anti-Brexit and pro-lockdown.

See the previous link I posted in the thread re. Brexit bias and maybe write to the BBC asking why they didn't cover the 50k+ person march that bought several areas of London to a standstill the other week; 

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/1427536/london-news-protest-oxford-street-vaccine-passport-lockdown-police-breaking-news

Another of GB News' stated aims is to actually bring you the news *NOT* just the bits of the news that the BBC want you to know about.

2 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

Time will tell. I normally watch the Papers on Sky News and it's great that it is usually civil (always way too short). It's great when people across the political divide have respect for each other and each other's views. Despite the hate on Twitter from opposite sides for both Owen Jones and Kate Andrews, they clearly get on well. Same for Polly Mackenzie and Alex Deane who are possibly my favourite pairing. And then Andrew Pierce and Kevin Maguire are like a married couple!

The biggest exception is Rachel Shabi who is universally rude to her co-presenter and sometimes Sonia Sodha who can be the same.

Edit: I agree Sky set the standards for years, after its founding by Andrew Neil, but it's let a lot of that go now with the arrogance and hectoring of its main reporting team, the likes of Adam Boulton. I once saw him introduce Jolyon Maugham as a guest to give an "unbiased legal view on Brexit"! Unless I see otherwise, I'll expect Andrew Neil to put a good team together and be a good editor again.

I used to like Neil, Portillo and Abbot on the BBC.

2 hours ago, uttoxram75 said:

Having looked at the history of some of the major backers of GB News I would be very surprised if the overall narrative does not push for further deregulation of financial markets, more privatisations of public services, pro-corporate agendas, anti trade union legislation, campaigns against tax dodging laws, corporate courts that overrule government decisions, Freeports/Charter Cities that are outside the jurisdiction of the host country.

The so called culture wars are nothing but a smokescreen. We'll fight against each other while the major players continue to destroy any semblance of a decent society in their relentless pursuit of power and profit.

No way dude, they are fighting the elites and sticking it to the man. The real enemies are those students who wanted to take down a picture of the queen. That is the real problem with this country!

36 minutes ago, maxjam said:

I hope it will be - that is one of their mission aims after all.  Time will tell.

Don't watch ITV News, only watch a bit of Sky News but the BBC is London centric, anti-Brexit and pro-lockdown.

See the previous link I posted in the thread re. Brexit bias and maybe write to the BBC asking why they didn't cover the 50k+ person march that bought several areas of London to a standstill the other week; 

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/1427536/london-news-protest-oxford-street-vaccine-passport-lockdown-police-breaking-news

Another of GB News' stated aims is to actually bring you the news *NOT* just the bits of the news that the BBC want you to know about.

Pro lockdown is reasonable as it's the law of the land at a time when information updates need to be given. They do report on people having the opposing view on that as I noticed this morning.

It strikes me that most people (not aimed at you) think something is impartial when it agrees with them and biased when it doesn't.

2 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

Kate Andrews is now much better since she left IEA which frankly is a hyper-ideological, yet populist organisation. Andrew Pierce winds me up to no end but so does everything the express writes. 

Boulton and Burley are the worst on there...

32 minutes ago, maxjam said:

I mean i don't think time will tell, I think it told you it's standpoint before it's launch. 

Sky was far more anti-brexit than the BBC. In fact the BBC are the mouthpiece for pro-gov policy through Laura K, shown through the Cummings revelations the other day. 

The BBC and all 'MSM' get accused of this every time there's a protest. There are protests literally every weekend in central London. 

What news is that? Banging the drum and blowing whistles over right wing talking points which are discussed on talkradio/lbc/in the tabloids every day? 

Anyway veering in to politics now but I'm just sick of the right wing commentators are silenced narrative.. 

38 minutes ago, alexxxxx said:

anyway veering in to politics now but I'm just sick of the right wing commentators are silenced narrative.. 

https://metro.co.uk/2021/06/15/gb-news-kopparberg-suspends-ads-with-news-channel-14773257/

https://boycottgbnews.org/advertisers

It will be interesting to see whether other advertisers step in to fill the void or whether advertiser funded GB News begins to struggle.  

I have watched a bit whilst sat at my PC this morning, sensible discussions, interviews with Politicians - just normal stuff.  I can't for the life of me work out why the boycott GB News campaign exists and why advertisers are pulling their commercials other than they have whipped themselves up into a frenzy over something they have never even watched. 

This is the 'creep' I have always been concerned about.  You start off banning the far right, then you ban the Tommy Robinsons, then you ban slightly troubling youtubers now you try to ban a news channel fronted by respected ex-National TV personalities.  Where does it all end?

Just now, maxjam said:

https://metro.co.uk/2021/06/15/gb-news-kopparberg-suspends-ads-with-news-channel-14773257/

https://boycottgbnews.org/advertisers

It will be interesting to see whether other advertisers step in to fill the void or whether advertiser funded GB News begins to struggle.  

I have watched a bit whilst sat at my PC this morning, sensible discussions, interviews with Politicians - just normal stuff.  I can't for the life of me work out why the boycott GB News campaign exists and why advertisers are pulling their commercials other than they have whipped themselves up into a frenzy over something they have never even watched. 

This is the 'creep' I have always been concerned about.  You start off banning the far right, then you ban the Tommy Robinsons, then you ban slightly troubling youtubers now you try to ban a news channel fronted by respected ex-National TV personalities.  Where does it all end?

Sounds like they're being silenced by the free market. 

I'm not sure the run of the mill will be that controversial, just as most of LBC isnt/wasn't. But they felt the heat for Farage and Hopkins.

What I think is a bit disingenuous by gb news though is to go on about their crusades about how they are the only ones covering certain issues.

For example the cladding crisis is covered all the time on sky and bbc platforms yet I thought I heard them say today that 'no one is talking about it' yet its just not true.

Im not against gb news' right to exist, we do need some more plurality in our media I just find the whole premise of being 'anti elite and anti woke' as laughable. 

9 minutes ago, alexxxxx said:

Sounds like they're being silenced by the free market. 

GB News are bound by Ofcom and headed by Andrew Neil, I fail to see the need for a boycott GB News campaign other than a nefarious attempt to force it off air.  Surely if you don't like something that is free there are a multitude of other channels to watch?

Viewing figures for the launch were in excess of both Sky and the BBC.  These could go up or down over time, it was launch night after all and people may have just been curious - a better judge will be 6 months down the road after its had time to find its groove.  But it doesn't so much smack of being silenced by the free market, more an attempt to silence it by twitter activists putting pressure on weak advertisers scared of an overly vocal noisy minority.

I made a joke about 'loony lefties' in another thread - who I specify is the type of person that goes around trying to cancel things they don't agree with.  Not content with turning off the channel, a looney leftie doesn't want you watching it either.  It is a very dangerous path we're heading down if these activists are allowed to achieve their goals - not just for free speech issues but for the companies involved as well.  Just ask Gillette how the backlash to their woke campaign went, actually I'll save you the effort, its cost them $8bn - and whilst its only a massive corporation who cares, you can bet it was the low paid workers that paid for the loses with their jobs.