GB news

Archied

9 minutes ago, WhiteHorseRam said:

To what extent is it simply a campaign to nobble a commercial competitor?

Making GB News seem toxic is a knock out blow.

Who knows.  

The BBC know they are under pressure at the moment - lots of noise around defunding them etc.  The last thing they need is a competitor going after exactly the type of person that they have neglected and derided for years.

Just had a quick look down their Twitter feed, I don’t really watch the news so this is the next best alternative for me.

Using the topic of taking the knee, a decent case study as obviously something that is fairly divisive - and to their credit I can see they have perspectives from both sides on this, which is a good start and not something I expected.

My trouble is then that the interactions to the tweet show exactly where their “base customer” falls on the particular debate. The issue then is that everyone’s (both sides, but if I am being really honest I think there is only one correct side to this) views are so entrenched that this base customer is not going to see Harry Redknapp saying taking the knee is a good thing and agree with him, they’ll switch off, as is their right. That will likely then lead to GB News showing less and less of that side of the debate because it will hurt their pockets and then it simply becomes an echo chamber. If it is going to be truly balanced then they will need to entice balanced viewership, currently they don’t seem to have that. Whether it is intentional or not, who knows, but so far their marketing seems to have largely attracted a certain viewer / consumer. 

Boycotting companies that advertise on GB News is not going to be helpful in getting it to be balanced reporting (or for it continuing to be balanced reporting) but I think it is a little disingenuous to claim this only comes from one side. After all, @maxjam appeared to imply a boycott of Gillette by the “other side” in a previous post, and indeed I have seen a certain MP telling everyone they will boycott the Euros over the taking of the knee, as well as the ongoing issues with the booing of it as well. Not quite cancel culture but certainly not just ignoring it either.

14 minutes ago, nottingram said:

Using the topic of taking the knee, a decent case study as obviously something that is fairly divisive - and to their credit I can see they have perspectives from both sides on this, which is a good start and not something I expected.

My trouble is then that the interactions to the tweet show exactly where their “base customer” falls on the particular debate. The issue then is that everyone’s (both sides, but if I am being really honest I think there is only one correct side to this) views are so entrenched that this base customer is not going to see Harry Redknapp saying taking the knee is a good thing and agree with him, they’ll switch off, as is their right. That will likely then lead to GB News showing less and less of that side of the debate because it will hurt their pockets and then it simply becomes an echo chamber. If it is going to be truly balanced then they will need to entice balanced viewership, currently they don’t seem to have that. Whether it is intentional or not, who knows, but so far their marketing seems to have largely attracted a certain viewer / consumer. 

That is why I said we need to give it 6 months - it is very noble saying they will present all sides of the argument but as you say, ultimately will they be more driven by viewer numbers than their initial ideals.  I've said it a few times, but time really will tell...

14 minutes ago, nottingram said:

Boycotting companies that advertise on GB News is not going to be helpful in getting it to be balanced reporting (or for it continuing to be balanced reporting) but I think it is a little disingenuous to claim this only comes from one side. After all, @maxjam appeared to imply a boycott of Gillette by the “other side” in a previous post, and indeed I have seen a certain MP telling everyone they will boycott the Euros over the taking of the knee, as well as the ongoing issues with the booing of it as well. Not quite cancel culture but certainly not just ignoring it either.

I didn't mean to imply it only comes from one side.  It is generally the loony lefties that start cancel culture - most on right are for free speech after all, but once you go down that route it is only natural that all sides will engage in it. 

Boycott GB News is a classic example, yesterday twitter was full of the loonies demanding companies pull their ads, today its those on the right saying they will boycott companies that have pulled adverts.  It's just a pathway to complete division and lack of any common ground what-so-ever.  

If we are going to allow twitter activists to potential derail a fairly mainstream regulated news station, where will it end?  If advertisers are to scared to stand up to these woke activists, where does it end?  This discussion is probably venturing to far into the realms of politics but all I see is the middle ground between opposing viewpoints eroding all the time and conflicts becoming more frequent and more angry over increasingly mainstream ideologies. 

58 minutes ago, maxjam said:

Who knows.  

The BBC know they are under pressure at the moment - lots of noise around defunding them etc.  The last thing they need is a competitor going after exactly the type of person that they have neglected and derided for years.

True.

Saw the BBC bloke being chased down the street - horrendous - brown shirt stuff.

3 hours ago, cstand said:

The backers of the BBC are the license fee payers who have no choice but to put up their anti free speech agenda. Scrap the license fee let BBC raise money on the open market with advertising so it’s a level playing field for all.

I have no objection to that at all. The BBC is becoming more and more a 'propaganda channel'.

7 minutes ago, maxjam said:

most on right are for free speech after all

I think that is where you get your argument fundamentally wrong. Most on the right don't really want free speech (if they did then they wouldn't cry so much about people being "woke") - they want free speech without challenge

It would be great if Gbeebies turned out to be a fair balanced media platform that gave time to each side of the argument, but that's not what its supporters want. They want a platform that echoes whatever right-wing thought that they have on all these culture wars issues - immigration, muslims, BLM, the death penalty, trans-genders, covid, the EU etc etc . They want a platform that agrees with them and makes them feel like they have a voice

Fair enough and I don't blame them - all we ALL really want is to feel heard. But GBN won't be able to prevent other people still challenging those opinions. So it won't actually change anything

11 minutes ago, Stive Pesley said:
31 minutes ago, maxjam said:

most on right are for free speech after all

I think that is where you get your argument fundamentally wrong. Most on the right don't really want free speech (if they did then they wouldn't cry so much about people being "woke") - they want free speech without challenge

This is truly where the danger lies. We need to watch out for those that want to spread misinformation, unchallenged, and justify it as free speech.  

6 minutes ago, Stive Pesley said:

Well thats where we disagree I'm afraid. 

I would argue that most people on the right just want honest and open conversation - yes you'd get the far right nut jobs that want to rage against whatever just as you get the left wing loonies that want to cancel everything.  Over time I would hope to bring them back to nearer the middle with sensible debate or let them talk or cancel themselves into oblivion. 

Nick Griffin for example used to get invited onto the BBC, something that would never happen now-a-days.  It gave him a platform let him dig his own grave - far more effective to let people know what his agenda was than to silence him and foster some kind of Tommy Robinson cult status personalty. 

If we could have a proper sensible debate, and hopefully GB News will do this, I think the people that are feeling suppressed or ignored would be less likely to 'cry about people being woke' as they would once again be a part of the conversation.   

You asked me a while back about how we achieve free speech without hate speech and I didn't really have an answer - well maybe GB News is a beginning?  It is being headed by respected people with long political/journalist careers and regulated by Ofcom, its about as safe as you can make it.  Its not been tried before yet some people want to cancel it before its even had a chance to show what it can (or it can't) deliver. 

If GB News gets cancelled because of unsubstantiated opinion, rather than the quality of its content it sets us on a very dangerous path. 

2 minutes ago, GboroRam said:

I notice the politics is gaining momentum. I'm happy to go clean it up, or can we all be civil and play nicely?

I think maybe you should delete your previous post tbh or are you equating cancel culture to a horrific murder by someone with a history of mental health problems?!?  Thats a long way below the belt imho.

Edited by maxjam

7 minutes ago, maxjam said:

I think maybe you should delete your previous post tbh or are you equating cancel culture to a horrific murder by someone with a history of mental health problems?!?  Thats a long way below the belt imho.

Is it accurate though? She was on the left and vociferously anti Brexit, and offended a Britain First supporter who ultimately cancelled her. 

I mean, you couldn't be asking me to remove my comment - isn't that, er, cancel culture?

1 hour ago, Jubbs said:

Lady Colin Campbell apparently was on there last night, saying the following:

Jeffrey Epstein wasn't a pedophile.
Defending Prince Andrew.
Calling Megan Markle a narcissist.

Are people seriously liking GB News??!?!?  

If it buys into their pre-existing narrative, then sure.

16 minutes ago, GboroRam said:

Is it accurate though? She was on the left and vociferously anti Brexit, and offended a Britain First supporter who ultimately cancelled her. 

I mean, you couldn't be asking me to remove my comment - isn't that, er, cancel culture?

No it was a brutal murder by a person with a history of mental illness.

It is also a very poor taste antagonistic political post and therefore against forum rules, nothing to do with cancel culture. 

Edited by maxjam

3 hours ago, sage said:

It's almost like Tories are winding up working class Britains with culture wars so they don't notice being shafted economically.

Fishermen

Farmers

Who's next?

am i right in thinking that the farmers and fisherman were very supportive of the argument in leaving the E U?