GB news

Archied

2 hours ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

Isn't it dome tory-fest run by Andrew Neil?

Nope, I watched the opening monologue from Andrew Neil and tbh think they will attract the average guy in the street that feels they can't say what they want to say anymore because literally everything offends someone and the disillusioned 'red wall' labour voter that just wants someone to listen to them and not be subject to globalist/London centric wokery that is a million miles from their daily life.

6 minutes ago, maxjam said:

Nope, I watched the opening monologue from Andrew Neil and tbh think they will attract the average guy in the street that feels they can't say what they want to say anymore because literally everything offends someone and the disillusioned 'red wall' labour voter that just wants someone to listen to them and not be subject to globalist/London centric wokery that is a million miles from their daily life.

So yes then

11 minutes ago, maxjam said:

I was under the impression that 'Woke' is a term used to describe people and organisations that are pro-social justice and pro-racial justice.

Isn't that a good thing which we all ought to subscribe to?

Watched a bit of it this evening. Not only has it got horrible production values, being told it’s anti establishment whilst hosting the likes of Alan sugar, neill and newspaper editors it’s of course ridiculous. 

it also claims that ‘ordinary people don’t care what’s on Twitter’ but then starts talking about a social media campaign against James corden who was being accused of degenerating Asian cuisine. Then bizarrely linked it to wet markets in wuhan....

The populist right telling us over and over again how they’re silenced in the media even when their views are expressed daily in the most popular tabloids, on the radio and now on their own channel.

It has no sense of impartiality and from what I’ve seen so far has no interesting talking points either.

just the constant point being made that they’re anti-woke.

Edited by alexxxxx

12 minutes ago, Eddie said:

I was under the impression that 'Woke' is a term used to describe people and organisations that are pro-social justice and pro-racial justice.

Isn't that a good thing which we all ought to subscribe to?

There is a long conversation to be had about this but as politics is banned on the forums there is little to be said other than Labour, the BBC, SKY, etc really need to look at themselves and stop trying to appease the noisy minority on Twitter and work out why the traditional Labour voter would rather vote for Boris Johnson and his lying, self serving rabble than anyone else. 

Whether GB News is a success or not will depend entirely on the quality of its content, but regardless the current set up - in a time of increasing financial inequality, will see us with the Tories in power with zero opposition forever at this rate.

9 hours ago, alexxxxx said:

Watched a bit of it this evening. Not only has it got horrible production values, being told it’s anti establishment whilst hosting the likes of Alan sugar, neill and newspaper editors it’s of course ridiculous. 

it also claims that ‘ordinary people don’t care what’s on Twitter’ but then starts talking about a social media campaign against James corden who was being accused of degenerating Asian cuisine. Then bizarrely linked it to wet markets in wuhan....

The populist right telling us over and over again how they’re silenced in the media even when their views are expressed daily in the most popular tabloids, on the radio and now on their own channel.

It has no sense of impartiality and from what I’ve seen so far has no interesting talking points either.

just the constant point being made that they’re anti-woke.

Watched a bit on youtube of that Wooton guy talking about Covid. Felt very conspiracy nut rubbish, just ranting.

I thought Andrew Neil was usually pretty good on the BBC and is better than this. Maybe he just thinks he can make some big money quick.

I also read about when Sugar asked how they would make revenue without adverts. I guess a lot of companies will see if it does become toxic before risking adverts on there.

1 hour ago, ariotofmyown said:

Watched a bit on youtube of that Wooton guy talking about Covid. Felt very conspiracy nut rubbish, just ranting.

I thought Andrew Neil was usually pretty good on the BBC and is better than this. Maybe he just thinks he can make some big money quick.

I also read about when Sugar asked how they would make revenue without adverts. I guess a lot of companies will see if it does become toxic before risking adverts on there.

Interesting, I watched that and never saw anybody deny COVID with tin hat conspiracy theories, I did though find it refreshing to see the response to this virus questioned ?‍♂️, it’s pretty plain you and I don’t agree on a lot off stuff but surely at this point you are able to move beyond labelling any mental stray form the official line a conspiracy, I’m assuming ( rightly or wrongly ) that you have had a decent standard of education so find it strange you appear to want independent thinking suppressed ?‍♂️

1 hour ago, ariotofmyown said:

Eh?   There were ad breaks every 20 mins or so.

The really sad thing is some people have nothing else better to do than watch something they don't want to watch simply to write down a list of who is advertising on GB News so they can rant about them on Twatter ?

Furthermore, why is it that only one side of the argument wants to shut down or prevent any conversation from happening?  Andrew Neil et al are obviously not far right nut jobs and at the very least deserve to be debated and shown to be wrong *if* that is the case.

Personally speaking, from the bits I've seen of GB News it is obvious that they are lacking a few people with real top level TV experience - the good ones stand out and the lesser lights are a bit cringey.  Hopefully this, along with sub-par production values will improve as the station finds its feet.

It is good to be able to hear people talk about subjects that have been neglected by the BBC or Sky etc for far to long and if that allows conversations to be had and eventually maybe a consensus reached then surely thats a good thing?  The alternative is a section of society, that largely consists of traditional labour voters being afraid to speak up and neglected.  

Rather than the the 'hard right' as is being thrown around on Twitter, GB News could attract a large working class audience.  Although I guess to the new Labour voter, they are right wing now-a-days ? 

17 minutes ago, maxjam said:

Andrew Neil et al are obviously not far right nut jobs

Erm... They also hired Tom Harwood as their Political Correspondent. TOM HARWOOD. I don't even need to go into that.

Has Andrew Neil ever explained why he's in Epstein's Black Book? 

"Controlled opposition"

A controlled opposition is a protest movement that is actually being led by government agents. Nearly all governments in history have employed this technique to trick and subdue their adversaries. Notably Vladimir Lenin who said ''"The best way to control the opposition is to lead it ourselves."

Count Mirabeau was part of the controlled opposition, because although everyone thought he was supporting the revolution, in reality he supported the monarchy and was a personal friend of the king. He was a government agent.

I doubt this thread will last long, but if we stick to just the malign influence of the media - and ignore the right or wrongs of the politics...

This is just yet another horribly biased news outlet that has the sole aim of generating cash from a divided society. Outrage news

The fact that within one page of talking about it - the arguments have started says it all

Life won't get better until we learn to concentrate on the things that unite us rather than letting the media divide us

2 minutes ago, Stive Pesley said:

I doubt this thread will last long, but if we stick to just the malign influence of the media - and ignore the right or wrongs of the politics...

This is just yet another horribly biased news outlet that has the sole aim of generating cash from a divided society. Outrage news

The fact that within one page of talking about it - the arguments have started says it all

Life won't get better until we learn to concentrate on the things that unite us rather than letting the media divide us

Not sure whether you mean undivided society is achieved by only allowing and or viewing one official source? BBC? 

11 minutes ago, Stive Pesley said:

The BBC are heavily biased.  Sky less so, but still biased.  Facebook, Twitter,  Youtube etc all ban you for 'wrong think'.  At least GB News is apparently going to let you discuss the other side of the argument.

I agree with your premise however that all the media do is divide everyone and turn the little differences between us into massive chasms - but what is the alternative?  Regulated media by the Government?  This Government?!?  Or continue to allow big tech and the media to collude and censor the side of the argument they don't want you to discuss.  We're screwed whatever way you look at it.

Real free speech is the only alternative imo, yes it has its drawbacks and has the potential to get messy at times but ultimately imo good arguments will rise to the top and the rest will fall by the wayside.  If everyone feels as though they have contributed to the conversation however you are more likely to end up with at least partial agreement rather than festering resentment and people afraid to speak up.