GB news

Archied

57 minutes ago, Spanish said:

am i right in thinking that the farmers and fisherman were very supportive of the argument in leaving the E U?

Yes they were. Having second thoughts now I would think.

23 minutes ago, Anon said:

In response to a comment that the cancel culture "is done almost entirely by loony lefties".

You've got right wingers murdering politicians, you've got the Gillette backlash, you've got booing taking the knee, you've got "Ban the BBC" and you've got the backlash about "Black Lives Matter". You've got people complaining that the likes of Gary Lineker shouldn't be given a platform on Twitter because they're paid for by the license fee. All part of cancel culture, but the side that the "unwoke right" prefer not to see when they talk about cancel culture.

I'm just reminding you all, that the Cancel Culture isn't just the left. And then I get told to take my post down as it's disrespectful and "not playing nicely". I'm not saying anything personal, just that the issue is across both sides of the argument. 

1 hour ago, maxjam said:

Yep - blackshirts or brownshirts

redshirts also available ...

Cowards all.

I always feel ashamed of myself watching clips like that. There is a part of me wishing I was his mate come out for a corned beef and pickle batch/cob/coll.

Would have made them wish they had stayed behind the keyboard.

13 minutes ago, GboroRam said:

In response to a comment that the cancel culture "is done almost entirely by loony lefties".

You've got right wingers murdering politicians, you've got the Gillette backlash, you've got booing taking the knee, you've got "Ban the BBC" and you've got the backlash about "Black Lives Matter". You've got people complaining that the likes of Gary Lineker shouldn't be given a platform on Twitter because they're paid for by the license fee. All part of cancel culture, but the side that the "unwoke right" prefer not to see when they talk about cancel culture.

I'm just reminding you all, that the Cancel Culture isn't just the left. And then I get told to take my post down as it's disrespectful and "not playing nicely". I'm not saying anything personal, just that the issue is across both sides of the argument. 

Have to agree. This whole Cancel Culture knows no left or right. It's a negative by-product of social media and it sickens me. 

22 minutes ago, GboroRam said:

You've got A person with a history of mental illness murdering A politican.

You've got the Gillette backlash (as a result of a woke campaign criticising their customer base)

You've got 'booing the taking the knee' (because if you hold a vaild alternative opinion you are outright being called a racist)

You've got backlash about 'Black Lives Matter' see above and you hate the sight of police idling whilst cities burn/statues are torn down.

You've got people complaining about Gary Lineker on twitter despite the BBCs impartiality guidelines.

Fixed all that for you ?

No one, certainly not me, is saying that cancel culture is purely a tool of the left.  It is however predominantly instigated by the left who use it to cancel free speech - and lets not forget we are talking about it here in relation to GB News he says in a vague attempt at keeping this post relevant.  Whereas the right increasingly use it in retaliation.  It is a zero sum game that simply creates further division. 

1 minute ago, Angry Ram said:

Have to agree. This whole Cancel Culture knows no left or right. It's a negative by-product of social media and it sickens me. 

Rare I agree with you @Angry Ram, but fair do's you've hit the nail on the head. Yes, there's an element of the loony left that does this, and wants to organise against businesses or organisations that don't fit with their world view. The problem is, once you start down that road you end up so fragmented it's like in the Life of Brian. The People's front don't agree with the popular front because of their views on Trans rights, or sustainability, or positive discrimination, or a million and one other things.

I like a broad church. We don't have to agree. I don't agree particularly with JK Rowling's views, others probably will. But she's allowed to think it and speak it, even if people disagree. 

Having an opinion is perfectly acceptable. Even when it's wrong.

2 minutes ago, maxjam said:

You've got A person with a history of mental illness murdering A politican.

Mair had mental health problems though he was declared sane in the moment of the crime.

We aren't dismissing every action he did because of his past are we?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murder_of_Jo_Cox

2 minutes ago, maxjam said:

No one, certainly not me, is saying that cancel culture is purely a tool of the left. 

You said it's almost entirely the loony lefties!

Edited by GboroRam
Hit ctrl+enter by mistake

37 minutes ago, GboroRam said:

Can we call them the "fast asleep right"?

Edited by Eddie

30 minutes ago, GboroRam said:

Mair had mental health problems though he was declared sane in the moment of the crime.

And the London Bridge terrorist was a rehabilitated terrorist.  In both cases they were nutters that acted alone ? 

I did indeed say it was almost entirely loony lefties.  Without going back through the thread I'm almost certain I was referring to the sort of person that wants to cancel a (regulated) TV show, GB News in this case - probably without watching any of it, certainly without watching enough of it to form a valid opinion!  That more than qualifies them for being a bit loony imho. 

Since then the conversation has morphed and I have qualified 'loony leftie' and 'cancel culture' in a wider context.

Edited by maxjam

54 minutes ago, GboroRam said:

It’s a point that has interested me for years ,  crime sanity etc , I’ve reached the bottom line of no one who does something like that is sane , it’s just splitting hairs on sentencing issue, for me it’s matters not your just too dangerous to ever be released?‍♂️

Not watched a minute of GB News yet. 

I don't have any social media, and I work in a place where you can't  have your phone or get into social media, so I am very lucky to be so sheltered for most of the day. 

From an outside perspective, it appears companies are again bending over backwards to appease the noisy lot on Twitter, and again alienating the general population. Most of us couldn't care how you advertised, what time you advertised, what channel you advertised on etc. Could not give a duck. 

All it will do, is get GB News more views, clicks and exposure, giving it a fighting chance of succeeding.

It's a strange tactic, with the aim to take away revenue from the channel, but probably actually increasing it. 

Time will tell what sort of coverage it will provide. To make sweeping accusations and judgements of the content at the moment, seems a bit premature. 

It does come across as it may well become the UK version of Fox News, but that's the opinions I've read and heard, not from actually watching and forming my own. 

10 minutes ago, Archied said:

It’s a point that has interested me for years ,  crime sanity etc , I’ve reached the bottom line of no one who does something like that is sane , it’s just splitting hairs on sentencing issue, for me it’s matters not your just too dangerous to ever be released?‍♂️

We need to be careful, otherwise you can end up dismissing atrocities. Despite people's mental health, there's a level of personal responsibility that we have to hold people to. If people's mental health has reached a point where it's responsible for these kinds of acts, they shouldn't be anywhere near the public. 

Unfortunately it does seem that there's some people who choose to do these kind of things and it's not their mental state that's caused it.

23 minutes ago, GboroRam said:

We need to be careful, otherwise you can end up dismissing atrocities. Despite people's mental health, there's a level of personal responsibility that we have to hold people to. If people's mental health has reached a point where it's responsible for these kinds of acts, they shouldn't be anywhere near the public. 

Unfortunately it does seem that there's some people who choose to do these kind of things and it's not their mental state that's caused it.

So say for instance can a serial killer like the Yorkshire ripper be sane?

24 minutes ago, GboroRam said:

If you don't include MPs that have been killed by the IRA, there has been one MP murdered (Jo Cox) in living memory.  One. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_serving_British_MPs_who_were_assassinated

She was killed by a person with a history of mental illness - declared sane at the time, but non-the-less a disturbed individual. 

Yet apparently you have got right winger(s) murdering politician(s)...

2 hours ago, GboroRam said:

You've got right wingers murdering politicians

But lets not dismiss the atrocities eh to try and justify it as right wing cancel culture ? 

Now, lets turn that around for a minute...  There is a certain ideology that intermittently kills significant numbers of people all whilst telling us exactly why the are doing it. 

24 minutes ago, GboroRam said:

Everytime such an incident happens society bends over backwards to stress they are isolated events and we shouldn't hold everyone accountable - and rightly so. 

I can't help but feel there is an element of hypocrisy with regards to what side of the political isle people reside and the way certain acts are perceived.  

3 hours ago, Spanish said:

am i right in thinking that the farmers and fisherman were very supportive of the argument in leaving the E U?

They certainly were. The farmers are now unhappy as the government are allowing tariff free access for Australian lamb to the UK as part of a trade agreement that they hope will increase UK exports of trucks and machinery to Australia. 

This is the sectoral balancing act of free trade agreements which is the new reality. Anyone whose sector looks to lose out will inevitably say that wasn't what brexit promised. 

16 minutes ago, maxjam said:

If you don't include MPs that have been killed by the IRA, there has been one MP murdered (Jo Cox) in living memory.  One. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_serving_British_MPs_who_were_assassinated

She was killed by a person with a history of mental illness - declared sane at the time, but non-the-less a disturbed individual. 

Yet apparently you have got right winger(s) murdering politician(s)...

But lets not dismiss the atrocities eh to try and justify it as right wing cancel culture ? 

Now, lets turn that around for a minute...  There is a certain ideology that intermittently kills significant numbers of people all whilst telling us exactly why the are doing it. 

Everytime such an incident happens society bends over backwards to stress they are isolated events and we shouldn't hold everyone accountable - and rightly so. 

I can't help but feel there is an element of hypocrisy with regards to what side of the political isle people reside and the way certain acts are perceived.  

I don't think you're helping your argument by dismissing a murdered MP as "just the one".

If you want to look a little further afield, we had the murder of a policeman plus violence against others in the US by an angry mob of right wing demonstrators.

Cancel culture happens everywhere. It certainly is an issue for the left, but don't believe it is "done almost entirely by loony lefties". There's plenty of anti-"woke" movement pushing for the same things.

8 minutes ago, GboroRam said:

I don't think you're helping your argument by dismissing a murdered MP as "just the one".

If you want to look a little further afield, we had the murder of a policeman plus violence against others in the US by an angry mob of right wing demonstrators.

Cancel culture happens everywhere. It certainly is an issue for the left, but don't believe it is "done almost entirely by loony lefties". There's plenty of anti-"woke" movement pushing for the same things.

Please elucidate.

6 minutes ago, GboroRam said:

Just emphasising it was just one, committed by someone with a chequered history - not multiple as you alluded to.

If you want to look further afield, Antifa caused literally $billions of damage in the US resulting in dozens of deaths.  But of course Antifa is just an idea and we all know what Antifa stands for so we can look the other way. 

This conversation has gone waaaay off topic though.  You're the Mod, but if I were you I'd delete the last couple of my posts - if you're happy to leave them up then its probably better left here.

10 minutes ago, GboroRam said:

You're entitled to your opinion of course and I have tried to explain my thinking.  Lets agree to disagree and leave it here ?