The UEFA European Championship 2020 Thread

Day

3 hours ago, CWC1983 said:

Clarke has got the team playing a system that all the players have bought into and enjoy playing

He’s always done well wherever he’s been, he’s a good manager. I think he’d do a decent job for the Rams actually. 

59 minutes ago, MuespachRam said:

Yep, I would have taken a draw against Croatia and a win against the Sweaties too….but some can’t see past the end of their thick noses. 

It's the performances that are worrying. We don't create anything, we just recycle the ball sideways and backwards for 90 minutes. No idea how to attack as a unit.

10 hours ago, Bob The Badger said:

And El Tel in 1990 was on the verge of not even taking Gascoigne. 

Come on people, Bobby was still manager in 90, it was El Tel for 96.

Pfft.

Anyway, it's interesting to see how high the win % of Southgate is compared to more revered managers.

Hint: It's higher than them all.

Not that I have a strong opinion of his managerial abilities tbf.

35 minutes ago, Wolfie20 said:

That's a terrifying thought. It's Portugal v Germany and VAR decisions are being adjudicated on by.........Stuart Atwell!!!

How does he keep getting these gigs, we all know Tw@wells limitations. It’s astounding really, his poor performances over the years are rewarded with promotion after promotion.  

3 hours ago, Rammy03 said:

It's the performances that are worrying. We don't create anything, we just recycle the ball sideways and backwards for 90 minutes. No idea how to attack as a unit.

But we still have the same points as the best French side ever, more points than Germany, Poland, Croatia, Portugal, Spain…. And we have qualified for the next round, without playing well, without conceding a goal. 
it’s coming home. 

No one remembers the fact that the entire group stage of Italia 90 was absolute dog excrement, all they remember is that we should have won It. 
We were shocking against the Swiss in 96 and the sweaties, got out played by Spain but It is still seen as the best tournament ever…

no one will care that we got a 0-0 draw against the skirt wearers when we go on to win the tournament. 

I still think this tournament will be too much, too soon for us.

Perhaps if Kane had started the tournament well, I’d feel more confident. But the way he is playing seems terminal for our chances.

We don’t really have anyone else who can be a consistent goal threat. I certainly wouldn’t bank on Calvert Lewin or Rashford changing a game for us.

It makes it difficult to imagine us troubling anyone in the latter stages.

4 hours ago, Bob The Badger said:

Come on people, Bobby was still manager in 90, it was El Tel for 96.

Pfft.

Anyway, it's interesting to see how high the win % of Southgate is compared to more revered managers.

Hint: It's higher than them all.

Not that I have a strong opinion of his managerial abilities tbf.

Different international scene now which makes comparisons difficult.

We are, and have been for a long while  accomplished qualifiers.

We have more qualifying games than ever, against weaker opposition than ever.

Competitons have more teams in them than ever, so your groups are, on average, weaker.

It's very difficult to compare.