The UEFA European Championship 2020 Thread

Day

6 hours ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

Foden.. Was fouled 2 times, fouled 2 times. 

The story of the game is more eloquently told by his other stats... 

1 shot

2 crosses, 0 accurate

24 passes, 20 in the Scotland half, 1 key 80% accuracy 

4 long passes, 2 accurate. 

Expected goals 0.05

Creates a picture of safety first play. Not creative, not looking to open up Scotland with any incisive one touch play. 

Your narrative does not resonate with mine which basically repeats what I've seen from England down decades. When faced with a team who themselves are pedestrian as Croatia were, they try a few things and we all start salivating. When faced with a team prepared to run around, we retreat into shells and play safety first football and then start looking for set piece accuracy. 

We created nothing of note. One set piece header gifted by poor marking and a pot shot. 

Ha ha ha brilliant. Foden was fouled every time he got near the ball and as soon as he went off they just turned their attention to Gealish. 

decent result really, ensures we qualify and pretty much knocks the skirt wearers out. Don’t know what all the fuss is about….it’s almost like the English press and “fans” want them to fail…..

1 hour ago, Rammy03 said:

Rice has been great for West ham this season. All the England players are better for their clubs. That's the difference. When they join up with the national team, they don't do what they do for their clubs. We play safe, backwards and sideways football.

There's a discussion somewhere on Youtube where Ferdinand, Lampard and Gerard discuss how they didn't want to do certain things for England in case it gave away club secrets. So they were half arsed because each of the other players might work out how to play against them. And these bankers were lauded as world class.

1 hour ago, Bob The Badger said:

That has literally nothing to do with my point.

In fact, it went so far over your head that I thought your name was David Marshall for a moment. 

I’m still drunk I think ? that’s my excuse anyway 

3 hours ago, Gaspode said:

We have the most talented crop of young players in a generation and they’re being managed by a man who’s main source of excitement is deciding whether to have Corn Flakes or Rice Krispies for breakfast….

More like Bran Flakes or All-Bran. 

45 minutes ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

There's a discussion somewhere on Youtube where Ferdinand, Lampard and Gerard discuss how they didn't want to do certain things for England in case it gave away club secrets. So they were half arsed because each of the other players might work out how to play against them. And these bankers were lauded as world class.

Disgraceful isn't it. But that so called 'golden generation' never gelled on or off the pitch. They never used to speak to players from other clubs, there would be a man United table, a Chelsea table etc. This England team are all good friends off the pitch, the spirit is there, it's just we don't play effectively as a unit. 

4 minutes ago, Rammy03 said:

Disgraceful isn't it. But that so called 'golden generation' never gelled on or off the pitch. They never used to speak to players from other clubs, there would be a man United table, a Chelsea table etc. This England team are all good friends off the pitch, the spirit is there, it's just we don't play effectively as a unit. 

Ultimately, I think I'm just fed up of supporting teams that are scared of the opposition.

Croatia vs Scotland should be a good game. A draw won’t be good enough for either of them, finishing 3rd with 2 points won’t get you through. So come the last 10 mins if it’s still 0-0 they’re both going to go for it. 

I don’t mind yesterday’s result. I wish nothing but the best for the Scots, so it would be nice to see them make history and get through to the knock out rounds. We might even see them again in a later round, like Belgium. 

it pretty much guarantees us qualification. So although it would have been nice to 100% wrap it up, it’s 99% wrapped up anyway with 4pts. So I think we can still afford to mix it up a bit and play some squad players next match. Might even get to see Jude Bellingham become the youngest Euro’s player (I like seeing a bit of history being made). And we might even find out that some of the squad players put in a better performance than the first teamers. 

Portugal didn’t win a single game til the semi finals. I can’t think of any teams that have just steam rollered all the way through. So one drab draw, and even if the next game plays out a pretty crap draw as well, it’s not the end of the world. 

keeping clean sheets is good. If you don’t let any goals in, you can’t possibly lose a tournament. So it’s not a terrible start. 

Having said that, I don’t disagree that Southgate is a bit of a ‘meh’ manager for this group of talented players. If he gets through to the semi final again, he’s a show in to stay in charge for the 2022 World Cup. So even if we go out in the next round, the upside is that it gives us an opportunity to find a dynamic new manager. There are a few around. 

Clarke has got the team playing a system that all the players have bought into and enjoy playing. 

It helps that we have players that are comfortable on the ball. I thought Mcgregor and Gilmour bossed the midfield. 

Tierney named in the team give them a boost pre match whereas him missing out on Monday was a kick in the guts. 

O Donnell came in for a load of stick after Monday, but he was brilliant last night. 

A win on Tuesday should see us through and Croatia have never beaten us. It will be tough but at least we've given ourselves a chance. 

The biggest complement I can give them is that they went away to a much more fancied team and there wasn't a great difference between the 2 sides. 

31 minutes ago, Eddie said:

So have Marston's. Perhaps we ought to give their head brewer the job - can't be any worse than Southgate.

Loads of money, all the right ingredients but using them only to create, insipid, bland version of what could be a great product but all too often is a shadow of its former self.

Yes, I can see Southgate fitting in very well at Marston's

2 hours ago, Eddie said:

So have Marston's. Perhaps we ought to give their head brewer the job - can't be any worse than Southgate.

Haha anyone would be more exciting than Gareth. All I want is one of the teams I support to play attacking football go for it and score goals. I don’t know what I’ve done in a former life to deserve the bore fest I’ve seen over the past few years watching club and country ?