Martyn Waghorn - gone to Coventry City

Heisenberg

39 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

He scored 5 from 32 appearances last season. He only got his arse in gear after Rooney tore a strip off him - he then got injured!

In the present circumstances (I posted after the EFL decision) he can happily take two years at Coventry. I'm sure I'd rather Duncan or Stretton take his place.

He was never my favourite player but last season he wasn't the only player to underperform under Wayne to be fair.

Never a patch on Martin,despite some thinking so and we can do better but I'm not sure how until we get some decent funds in.

I'd love Duncan or stretton to prove to be good,goal scoring strikers but they are both not fully developed and are may be too inexperienced to be good enough,just yet,i would suspect.

A lot of pressure on two kids  in their first proper seasons in a tough division as well...we don't want to break them in too quickly,we have seen the downsides of that recently.

Our main hope is that our embargo is lifted soon and we can get a proven number 9 in asap or i fear we will be repeating last year's early and late form.

Edited by kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong

1 hour ago, RamLad1884 said:

Never a story I'd posted before... But one none the less. When we got tanked against Rotherham back in Feb saw him at a bank in Derby. Heard someone ask him what happened against Rotherham, he told them that Rooney had them playing a formation that they had no idea how to play and no players knew their role. Hearing a player say that, no ownership for being s*#t that day and all the blame on the manager. 

Not the kind of footballer we need at the club. 

Sounds more like it's not the sort of manager we want at the club.

11 minutes ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

He was never my favourite player but last season he wasn't the only player to underperform under Wayne to be fair.

Never a patch on Martin,despite some thinking so and we can do better but I'm not sure how until we get some decent funds in.

I'd love Duncan or stretton to prove to be good,goal scoring strikers but they are both not fully developed and are may be too inexperienced to be good enough,just yet,i would suspect.

A lot of pressure on two kids  in their first proper seasons in a tough division as well...we don't want to break them in too quickly,we have seen the downsides of that recently.

Our main hope is that our embargo is lifted soon and we can get a proven number 9 in asap or i fear we will be repeating last year's early and late form.

There is no proof he would be any better this season though, and I'm sure there will be some better and cheaper - Gregory for one I hope. I'd rather save the money and gamble on Duncan and Stretton, afterall would you want Waghorn as your main striker? I'm hoping we can get someone else in and Gregory! #COYR

Edited by RoyMac5

15 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

What was Waghorn's excuse for being crap the rest of the season bar about 60 minutes?!

No, it was because he had signed for another club already and Rooney couldn’t do anything with him........wasn’t it??????

1 minute ago, RoyMac5 said:

There is no proof he would be any better this season though, and I'm sure there will be some better and cheaper - Gregory for one I hope. I'd rather save the money and gamble on Duncan and Stretton, afterall would you want Waghorn as your main striker? I'm hoping we can get someone else in and Gregory! #COYR

He probably thought the same and thought it best to move on,he didn't seem to be a fan our set up last year.

I don't think we saw enough of Gregory to say he'd be good enough either but I'd like to see him with another more proven striker here for sure as we did see some good signs from him 

1 hour ago, RamLad1884 said:

Never a story I'd posted before... But one none the less. When we got tanked against Rotherham back in Feb saw him at a bank in Derby. Heard someone ask him what happened against Rotherham, he told them that Rooney had them playing a formation that they had no idea how to play and no players knew their role. Hearing a player say that, no ownership for being s*#t that day and all the blame on the manager. 

Not the kind of footballer we need at the club. 

The manager sets the players up in a way that none of the players understood and it's the player that needs binning off?

6 minutes ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

The manager sets the players up in a way that none of the players understood and it's the player that needs binning off?

How can professional footballers not understand how to play football?. They would have trained all week with the style and tactics in mind.

Do people really think they do duck all, all week then Rooney comes in on match day and tells em how to play?.

This sounds like players who aren't good enough, blaming the manager. Easy way out.

2 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

There is no proof he would be any better this season though, and I'm sure there will be some better and cheaper - Gregory for one I hope.

Waghorn has been on a lower wage than Gregory was at Stoke by the way.

I’d just like to say for all he could’ve done better, he was whole hearted, gave his all in a Rams shirt, none more than the last day when it mattered.

He was likeable, specially how he opened up about his demons, wish he’d achieved more for that reason alone. Both him and the club need a change, hopefully he has a good season bar playing us.

All the best to Waghorn, who came up big in the last game of the season. However, my view for the majority of last season was that he was one of the key figures in our demise. Arguably, he was our worst performer IMO - in terms of game time offered and production. 

Nevertheless, the last game means he can leave on a high. It will be interesting if he can have a bounce back season with Coventry or not. 

Will have come down to wage demands I would imagine. We just don’t have the capacity to offer his old terms at the minute  and he’s probably got 2 contracts left in him if he’s lucky so he will obviously want as much as he can possibly Get. Then there was the delay in any new contract we can offer due to the embargo etc. Plus don’t forget we actually didn’t pay our players on time last season and it isn’t the first time.

Coventry are a much more stable club than us at the minute and will more than likely finish higher than us like they did last season. 

I don’t blame him for putting his family and job security first 

Fair play to him, cannot blame him for not sitting around forever waiting for the EFL to allow us to offer contracts to our own players.

Obviously as part of these rules designed to protect football clubs finances we will now have to spend a transfer fee or pay agents and signing fees to replace him.

12 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

Talking about Wazza here Macca ?

30 minutes ago, Derbados said:

Will have come down to wage demands I would imagine. We just don’t have the capacity to offer his old terms at the minute  and he’s probably got 2 contracts left in him if he’s lucky so he will obviously want as much as he can possibly Get. Then there was the delay in any new contract we can offer due to the embargo etc. Plus don’t forget we actually didn’t pay our players on time last season and it isn’t the first time.

Coventry are a much more stable club than us at the minute and will more than likely finish higher than us like they did last season. 

I don’t blame him for putting his family and job security first 

Coventry, stable. They haven’t even been playing at their own ground. Don’t think so…