WHY

Derby blood

All Mel is guilty of is giving the fans what they wanted. George Thorne? Sure, Tom Ince? Sure, immediate replacements for Hughes and Bryson when they got injured? Sure, proven goal scorer in Vydra? Sure. 

All things demanded by the fans. He has always had the best intentions for Derby, just been misguided at every given opportunity. 

8 hours ago, Mckram said:

Love it when people’s argument for doing things differently is not signing poor players.

Imagine being Mel, like actually being Mel and when someone comes to you and says we think this player will be amazing for Derby but it’s £6m you’re going to have to pay out your own pocket for them. Ignore his net worth as a lot of that is tied up money he doesn’t have access to. It’s real cash and will impact him greatly.

He must have had some ridiculously hard calls to make and it was all to take Derby to the next level and please us fans. I will never slate him because I’m fairly certain if I had the money he did I’d have made a lot more mistakes along the way.

If he won at Wembley against QPR or Villa then he is a hero to everyone, simple as that. 

That’s pretty much how we signed Bradley Johnson. You say no. We haven’t scouted him. We don’t know how he fits into this team. I’m not breaking transfer records without assurances he would add to this team. 

Mel had no involvement in the QPR Play-off Final.

12 minutes ago, Taribo said:

All Mel is guilty of is giving the fans what they wanted. George Thorne? Sure, Tom Ince? Sure, immediate replacements for Hughes and Bryson when they got injured? Sure, proven goal scorer in Vydra? Sure. 

All things demanded by the fans. He has always had the best intentions for Derby, just been misguided at every given opportunity. 

What sort of owner listens to the fans? The fans are idiots!

56 minutes ago, cannable said:

What sort of owner listens to the fans? The fans are idiots!

53 minutes ago, Angry Ram said:

And he’s a fan and worse still a dictator with no checks and balances .. I rest my case.

Oh, yeah, that was my point, he is a fan first and foremost, naïve when it comes to running a football club but he's done everything with the best intentions. In balance, @Angry Ram, there's plenty of football dictators who strip everything from the club without listening to the fans. I'm absolutely not saying Mel is blameless, far from it, but he's poured £200m of his hard earnt money into this club but always for the good of the club (at least seemingly so at the time). 

1 hour ago, Taribo said:

No, he’s guilty of not running a business properly. It’s alright saying “he gave us what we wanted” but he shouldn’t he should do what’s right for the stability of the club. If my kids ask for sweets all the time and I give them loads as a result, they then end up with health issues and no teeth. I don’t think “all I’m guilty of is giving them what they wanted” would wash in terms of responsible parenting. 

11 hours ago, CornwallRam said:

Let's not be too hard on Mel. He tried, he failed and now walks away 10s or maybe 100s of millions poorer. I believe that the same would have happened with any other owner had they failed to get promoted...and promotion requires lots of luck or parachute payments.

Don't disagree with that. But it's the overspending, the lack of recruitment strategy that disappoints me. Ultimately that's why we're in this mess. Was that all him though? Maybe not, he probably put his trust in the wrong people. Running a football club is harder than people think. It's not like a normal business. You need footballing people making footballing decisions. 

12 hours ago, Derby blood said:

so called Derby Fan Owner. 

So-called?

Why is it necessary to question his love for the club that he's supported all his life and poured millions into?

I was talking with @Eatonram the other day about how the fans turned on Sam Longson (a Derby fan who had massive success as Chairman) and Lionel Pickering (a Derby fan who had good success as chairman too).

Now inevitably when things aren't going well,  it's Mel's turn.

I like the guy and I have no doubt whatsoever he wants the best for the club.

He's messed up (although as @thelovebelowsaid, most fans would have taken Cocu - me included, so I'm not critical of that), but I think his mistakes are more likely because of his love to see the club succeed  rather than because he's a fake fan.

IOW, he's running the club on emotions rather than using his obvious business nous.

Just an opinion of course and maybe he's a fake fan who likes to throw his hard-earned money away for some reason unbeknown to anybody.

4 hours ago, Bob The Badger said:

So-called? Why is it necessary to question his love for the club that he's supported all his life and poured millions into?

I was talking with @Eatonram the other day about how the fans turned on Sam Longson (a Derby fan who had massive success as Chairman) and Lionel Pickering (a Derby fan who had good success as chairman too).

Now inevitably when things aren't going well,  it's Mel's turn.

IOW, he's running the club on emotions rather than using his obvious business nous.

Just an opinion of course and maybe he's a fake fan who likes to throw his hard-earned money away for some reason unbeknown to anybody.

I don’t remember how it ended with Longson, but as he effectively got rid of one of the countries greatest managers I can understand fans being peeved. Pickering at the end refused to sell to local interest and we ended up with the 3 Amigos. Now it seems like Morris is doing similar - so it is hardly surprising if fans turn against him.

10 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

I don’t remember how it ended with Longson, but as he effectively got rid of one of the countries greatest managers I can understand fans being peeved. Pickering at the end refused to sell to local interest and we ended up with the 3 Amigos. Now it seems like Morris is doing similar - so it is hardly surprising if fans turn against him.

Pickering did not sell to the 3 amigos, the CO- OP bank wound the club up and sold to them from liquidation.

Just now, Asheville Ram said:

Pickering did not sell to the 3 amigos, the CO- OP bank wound the club up and sold to them from liquidation.

I didn’t say he did. Pickering wouldn’t sell to local interest and so that meant the rest followed.

I think people tend to go for extreme views regarding Mel Morris and his tenure. There have obviously been mistakes made, there seemed to be a lot of meddling, frequent sackings etc which I wasn’t a fan of. Now we have this EFL fiasco, although whoever is in charge of finances, CEO? Or financial director should be scrutinised also.  On the other hand, fine margins, had we gone up against Villa or not crumbled in seasons before we could be a Premier League club now. If we had beaten QPR, Morris could have enjoyed the financial clout of Prem football. He backed his managers in transfers too. How many chairman don’t? If recruitment hasn’t been up to scratch, it can’t be all on Morris, has to be recruitment team or managers who need to shoulder the blame also. He’s also invested heavily in the academy, we are producing good young players now, surely more than a decade ago for example. 
I can’t agree he’s been a disaster for Derby, neither has his tenure been a resounding success. 

Aside from all this, hope his health improves 

Edited by TheresOnlyWanChope

1 minute ago, TheresOnlyWanChope said:

I think people tend to go for extreme views regarding Mel Morris and his tenure. There have obviously been mistakes made, there seemed to be a lot of meddling, frequent sackings etc which I wasn’t a fan of. Now we have this EFL fiasco, although whoever is in charge of finances, CEO? Or financial director should be scrutinised also.  On the other hand, fine margins, had we gone up against Villa or not crumbled in seasons before we could be a Premier League club now. If we had beaten QPR, Morris could have enjoyed the financial clout of Prem football. He backed his managers in transfers too. How many chairman don’t? If recruitment hasn’t been up to scratch, it can’t be all on Morris, has to be recruitment team or managers who need to shoulder the blame also. He’s also invested heavily in the academy, we are producing good young players now, surely more than a decade ago for example. 
I can’t agree he’s been a disaster for Derby, neither has his tenure been a resounding success. 

Very considered post 

6 minutes ago, Asheville Ram said:

careful

The coop put us in receivership I think, which is similar to admin and the receiver found a buyer.

Liquidation would have meant we would have no longer existed

1 minute ago, RoyMac5 said:

No he wasn’t, that’s true, but he could have sold the club when in the end he got nothing?

My memory has it that the local buyers anticipating a deeper discount lost out to greed.  Maybe I'm just a bit jaundiced as to the shenanigans that went on 

15 hours ago, Inverurie Ram said:

@therams69chin up mate. It's never easy being a Derby County fan. Your frustrations and passion captured a couple of times on East Midlands News this week paint a picture of that and so much more. @Angry Ramhad his doubts right from the off regarding the current board.

I tend to fall into the trap of sticking by folk to the bitter end, a loyalty thing, Nigel Clough etc hoping they can make amends or have had bad luck or been dealt a rotten hand etc. You mention Cocu and I believed in his 5 year plan, and then Rooney arrived, and Cocu was undermined, but Cocu like the true Gent just got on with it, but he began and carried on to look unhealthy in his position. Then you hear things like Hughton would not have come to work for us, when he was available, then alarm bells start to ring.

I even asked a member of the club a simple question recently about the fans being shown on the advertising boards, when we scored a goal, something the club had advertised on it's official website, to carry out, why it wasn't happening or was I not seeing it? or was it because we simply were not scoring any goals at Pride Park or had it being pulled and if so why, nothing on the official website explaining such, so simple things like that were falling over, which were seen as important things to get right at the club, not so long ago, that openness between the club and fans.

I hate to see our club struggling and I agree with the German model, with fans being on the board etc, but at the same time, you also have to consider the work, time, effort, costs etc the likes of yourself, 1884 Group etc have already put into trying to improve the atmosphere at Pride Park. It would be a hell of a lot more work and effort to be heavily involved in DCFC. It's hard enough just trying to follow the football club you love, and trying to get your message across with all the genuine best interests of the club for instance on this forum, without a few people wanting to drag you down, so never mind being heavily involved within the club.

At the end of the day, we all want what's best for Derby County Football Club, and unfortunately people make mistakes, we are human, we all make them in life, not intentionally and sometimes it's not easy to correct them, moving forwards.

We failed to beat Q.P.R. without MM, we failed to beat Aston Villa with MM at Wembley, there have been ups and downs along the way, we will move forward with many more ups and downs to follow. We carry on loving and supporting the club.

Try not to let it ruin your health and wellbeing.

D.C.F.C. Love, Life & Unity.

great post mate , lets all hang in there on this current bumpy road , we all want the same thing a young vibrant good footballing Derby County , ride this out and fingers crossed things will change for the better COYR