WHY

Derby blood

Using 'The Derby Way' as an excuse for sacking a manager was as embarrassing as him being on Talksport almost goading everyone else.

He's tried to be clever and its backfired. But hey we have a really good academy that produces loads of talent (we inevitably sell for £10+ a bag of sweets).

15 hours ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

Point of order - he didn't have anything to do with the QPR thing.

He wouldn't be paying for a player out of his own pocket. That's what ffp is designed to eradicate.

To me, pleasing the fans who want new and more expensive players is the surest way to dusty death.

Point taken on QPR.

He is paying for players, it can be wrapped up in any way, shape or form but at the end of the day he is paying out of his own pocket. I’m sure it came out he was losing £3m a month not long back and that is down to players wages and player transfer fees.

He could have come to Derby and only spent any income that we generated, however I’m pretty sure that fans would be treating him like Mike Ashley is treated by Newcastle fans.

The truth is fans want investment and the EFL don’t allow that. It’s not even fair competition against those with parachute payments. 

56 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

I don’t remember how it ended with Longson, but as he effectively got rid of one of the countries greatest managers I can understand fans being peeved. Pickering at the end refused to sell to local interest and we ended up with the 3 Amigos. Now it seems like Morris is doing similar - so it is hardly surprising if fans turn against him.

He never got rid of Cloughie and BC admitted he screwed up by resigning several times.

Longson had literally nowhere to go and even offered BC a 5 year contract if he'd just back off the extra-curricular stuff.

And it was Sam who brought Cloughie in, stuck with him through a poor first season, backed him financially and then brought in and backed Dave Mackay and took the club to incredible heights.

Why on earth would a devoted long-time Rams fan who was loving the success get rid of the man providing it unless he was put in an untenable situation? 

All this stuff is documented, it's just that it came out (to most people) years after the event when minds had already been made up and there was no going back.

Fans turn on everybody pretty much at some stage because success isn't permanent and they need somebody to blame when it disappears. 

13 minutes ago, BBG83 said:

Using 'The Derby Way' as an excuse for sacking a manager was as embarrassing as him being on Talksport almost goading everyone else.

He's tried to be clever and its backfired. But hey we have a really good academy that produces loads of talent (we inevitably sell for £10+ a bag of sweets).

A player is only worth what someone is willing to pay. Don’t get me wrong I was annoyed when Will Hughes only went for £4m or whatever it was, but if Watford were the only club in for him and the manager didn’t want him, what can Mel do?

6 hours ago, Taribo said:

Oh, yeah, that was my point, he is a fan first and foremost, naïve when it comes to running a football club but he's done everything with the best intentions. In balance, @Angry Ram, there's plenty of football dictators who strip everything from the club without listening to the fans. I'm absolutely not saying Mel is blameless, far from it, but he's poured £200m of his hard earnt money into this club but always for the good of the club (at least seemingly so at the time). 

I’ve never disputed he didn’t have good intentions, he’s certainly not an assets stripper or doing anything for personal gain. I feel hugely sorry for the guy but he has been a fool. Most fans would be, that’s why I never wanted a fan running the club.

58 minutes ago, Spanish said:

careful

The coop put us in receivership I think, which is similar to admin and the receiver found a buyer.

Liquidation would have meant we would have no longer existed

Receivership nothing like Administration,

Administration vs. Receivership. From the company directors’ standpoint,receivership offers virtually no advantages because it will inevitably result in the loss of control of the assets of the company and often ultimately as well as the complete liquidation and dissolution of the company in most cases.

Sooner or later there will be a proportion of fans who turn against the owner.....usually when the money starts to run out. When Mel Morris took over the club with his fan background and £500m in the bank I defy anyone to say they weren't happy and optimistic. As recently as Lampards tenure and then the appointment of Coccu the majority still felt positive about the Club......Now the inevitable happens, the pitch forks are out and 50% of the fans apparently saw it coming, would have done almost everything differently and had us in rude financial health.

19 hours ago, Derby blood said:

Why has Derby fan Mel, made such a mess of running OUR great club, he has made more mistakes than any chairmen in a very long time, he took us over as a top championship team, good players, great stadium, and ran well from top to bottom, Mel in his time as owner has ruined us, Mods please do not delete, we have freedom of speech in this our great country, not up to you to delete this post, as its a fair opinion and not personnel in any way. 

I don’t agree with that please find someone else to have put in £200 million of their own money trying to improve things - some mistakes some very bad luck it’s just the way it is

1 hour ago, Reggie Greenwood said:

Very considered post 

But wrong ?

Why do people think promotion would have sorted all our problems? Anyone see a coherent strategy for progressing.. We have have had a few extra quid in the short term but we’ve had a few extra quid in the past and done nothing but waste it. He has no long term vision, bar a couple of sound bites, that I can see.. Who knows we might have beaten our 11 pts..
We needed a tweak after QPR but we went for surgery instead and a vanity project. He would probably have done the same after Villa.. Well I suppose he would have had to as the loans got us that far.. Trust our recruiting team again? Anyone seen any bloody green shoots in the last few years that I can grasp onto? Help me out here, someone, anyone.

I worry for next season now.. So much hanging over us, Attacks and problems coming from everywhere,, Tear the ducker down, With the current or proposed set up, We’re doomed.

12 minutes ago, Angry Ram said:

But wrong ?

Why do people think promotion would have sorted all our problems? Anyone see a coherent strategy for progressing.. We have have had a few extra quid in the short term but we’ve had a few extra quid in the past and done nothing but waste it. He has no long term vision, bar a couple of sound bites, that I can see.. Who knows we might have beaten our 11 pts..
We needed a tweak after QPR but we went for surgery instead and a vanity project. He would probably have done the same after Villa.. Well I suppose he would have had to as the loans got us that far.. Trust our recruiting team again? Anyone seen any bloody green shoots in the last few years that I can grasp onto? Help me out here, someone, anyone.

I worry for next season now.. So much hanging over us, Attacks and problems coming from everywhere,, Tear the ducker down, With the current or proposed set up, We’re doomed.

? back at you 

1 hour ago, Bob The Badger said:

He never got rid of Cloughie and BC admitted he screwed up by resigning several times.

Longson had literally nowhere to go and even offered BC a 5 year contract if he'd just back off the extra-curricular stuff.

And it was Sam who brought Cloughie in, stuck with him through a poor first season, backed him financially and then brought in and backed Dave Mackay and took the club to incredible heights.

Why on earth would a devoted long-time Rams fan who was loving the success get rid of the man providing it unless he was put in an untenable situation? 

Why was it untenable, who deemed it so?

1 hour ago, Asheville Ram said:

Administration vs. Receivership. From the company directors’ standpoint,receivership offers virtually no advantages because it will inevitably result in the loss of control of the assets of the company and often ultimately as well as the complete liquidation and dissolution of the company in most cases.

it is very similar as opposed to liquidation which is totally different.  A receiver is looking to protect a specific creditor usually in respect of a charged asset.  Both represent a stage before liquidation

1 hour ago, Asheville Ram said:

also in the example the receivership did not end in liquidation

I know maclaren should have closed the Newcastle rumours but one of the biggest mistakes Mel did was sack him the first time around.he then gave Clement a word of cash and that’s where the trouble started and we have never recovered from that summer which is mainly the mess we are in now. Although we faded away with mainly injuries the football was still exciting drawing 3 all with Huddersfield etc. Also look back and maclaren was looking at dunk at Brighton cairney who was then at Blackburn who we could have got at both teams were down the bottom end at the time plus other players. 

9 hours ago, Angry Ram said:

And he’s a fan and worse still a dictator with no checks and balances .. I rest my case.

Agree 100 percent, wth this, let the Mel lovers carry on defending a man, who has ruined our club,. my opinion, but i think the facts prove what a poor job Mel has done. 

2 hours ago, Mckram said:

A player is only worth what someone is willing to pay. Don’t get me wrong I was annoyed when Will Hughes only went for £4m or whatever it was, but if Watford were the only club in for him and the manager didn’t want him, what can Mel do?

The owner can block the sale of a player in the same way they can block an incoming transfer?

1 hour ago, Barney1991 said:

I know maclaren should have closed the Newcastle rumours but one of the biggest mistakes Mel did was sack him the first time around.he then gave Clement a word of cash and that’s where the trouble started and we have never recovered from that summer which is mainly the mess we are in now. Although we faded away with mainly injuries the football was still exciting drawing 3 all with Huddersfield etc. Also look back and maclaren was looking at dunk at Brighton cairney who was then at Blackburn who we could have got at both teams were down the bottom end at the time plus other players. 

He did shut them down, every week Radio Derby asked him and every week he said he was committed to Derby. What he didn't do was come out and say 'cross my heart and hope to die,  I will never go to Newcastle '

He committed yet again at the end of the season,  mel even took him to his fan forums where they both put forward a United front.  Mel was the one who then decided to sack him because he thought Clement would be a massive improvement. 

Biggest mistake Mel made.

23 minutes ago, MrPlinkett said:

He did shut them down, every week Radio Derby asked him and every week he said he was committed to Derby. What he didn't do was come out and say 'cross my heart and hope to die,  I will never go to Newcastle '

He committed yet again at the end of the season,  mel even took him to his fan forums where they both put forward a United front.  Mel was the one who then decided to sack him because he thought Clement would be a massive improvement. 

Biggest mistake Mel made.

???

Definitely he biggest mistake, sacking Mac2 the next.