Summer 2021 Transfer Window - Suggestion Thread

Kernow

24 minutes ago, Oldben said:

Rumoured to be linked to Gary cahill, at 35, not sure what he would offer the club.

An opportunity to waste thousands of pounds each week on wages.

Had a good career at Prem level, now winding down to retirement & probably looking for one last payday. Absolutely not the profile of player we need, even if we do need CBs.

Same goes for Jack Wilshere or any other Prem names who were top class 5 years ago.

4 minutes ago, Chris_Martin said:

Shinnie???

I see this suggested here quite often but it's a no for me. Even though he likes to tackle, he is not a DM per se. Certainly, not alone. 

He is too eager to tackle to be a good one alone or at least it wouldn't be his natural game. Bit higher than DM, driving runs & box to box, that's his natural game.

1 minute ago, Dimmu said:

I see this suggested here quite often but it's a no for me. Even though he likes to tackle, he is not a DM per se. Certainly, not alone. 

He is too eager to tackle to be a good one alone or at least it wouldn't be his natural game. Bit higher than DM, driving runs & box to box, that's his natural game.

Defo not a dm but even at box to box he hasn’t got the finish in him

3 minutes ago, Chris_Martin said:

Keogh - no

Tomori - no

Clarke - no

Wisdom - no

Edmundson - no

Mengi - no

Davies - probably

Have you seen Cahill’s sprint stats from this season? Actually don’t answer that, you clearly haven’t! Do you also know that two of the fastest in the PL are Wan-Bissaka and Kyle Walker? 

Where are the current links with Gary Cahill? I think we may have signed him if we beat Villa and Lampard stayed, he was linked at the time at least.

He'd still improve us, he'd still be our best defender and he's still probably capable of playing most of our games in a season. However he's not going to be on a low wage at Palace and I expect he would attract more interest than what we would be able to pay him. I'm not sure making a 35-year-old CB our highest paid player would fit in with the kind of rebuild project we should be looking at either.

He'd be a very good signing if we were looking at a one-season deal as a "finishing" piece, but in our current situation, it really is very hard to see.

1 minute ago, Anag Ram said:

I see Serdar Dursun has scored a hat trick today.

I assume our chance of signing him has gone?

Somebody who I read is out of contract and we've been linked with before (I think) is Conor Wickham at Palace. He's not going to attract a PL club so he's one we may be interested in. I'd rather have Gregory tbh.

Of the loanees I would retain Roberts as a first priority. 

I wasn't impressed with Mengi. He's quick but isn't good enough in the air for the championship and gets out of position too often. 

Edmundson has shown glimpses but would need a good and experienced CB alongside him. 

I would prefer Clarke plus a new signing. 

Beni just hasn't shown us anything and would be a risk. 

Gregory is a good pro but we need pace and youth. 

New keeper, experienced CB/ captain, attacking mid, two new young strikers. 

Let's build on a strong defence with pace on the break. 

3 minutes ago, Anag Ram said:

Of the loanees I would retain Roberts as a first priority. 

I wasn't impressed with Mengi. He's quick but isn't good enough in the air for the championship and gets out of position too often. 

Edmundson has shown glimpses but would need a good and experienced CB alongside him. 

I would prefer Clarke plus a new signing. 

Beni just hasn't shown us anything and would be a risk. 

Gregory is a good pro but we need pace and youth. 

New keeper, experienced CB/ captain, attacking mid, two new young strikers. 

Let's build on a strong defence with pace on the break. 

It's worth noting that Mengi is playing well above his age range - you don't get many (if any) 18 year old centre backs in the Champiohship. He's just turned 19 and could just develop siginificantly overnight. 

Tomori was catastrophic at times early on in his loan spell, before developing into something special. We saw Michael Keane come here as a young lad and absolute stink it up. I wouldn't mind taking a chance on Mengi considering the low outlay and potential high upside. 

I'd take both Mengi & Edmundson back. We currently have no centre backs and they wouldn't really come in as 'new' signings needing time to settle. I do however feel like they both are better suited to RCB and would need a vocal leader alongside them, something which Clarke isn't. Mengi would also cover RB too, almost like a taller/faster/younger version of Wisdom.

We will probably at times go 3 at the back so we need 4, maybe 5, centre backs if we haven't got any youngsters ready to step up as 5th choice.

I would like Roberts back on loan but can't see it, I would expect City probably want to cash in on him with him being out of contract next summer.

I can see Rooney wanting to keep Gregory, if we're to go 2 upfront next season I think Gregory is decent in the 2. IF we are to go 2 up we probably need 3 more strikers as well as CKR.

Verdict is out with Baningime, didnt really get to see much of him but I did think he looked decent when he played. I do however feel like we need someone a bit taller to cover Bielik.

Just now, Ambitious said:

It's worth noting that Mengi is playing well above his age range - you don't get many (if any) 18 year old centre backs in the Champiohship. He's just turned 19 and could just develop siginificantly overnight. 

Tomori was catastrophic at times early on in his loan spell, before developing into something special. We saw Michael Keane come here as a young lad and absolute stink it up. I wouldn't mind taking a chance on Mengi considering the low outlay and potential high upside. 

All fair. 

My main concern though is how, outside of Clarke, we are so easy to beat in the air. 

We need a good old-fashioned CB like a Morrison or a Hanley who barks at his defence and heads /kicks it out of danger (I'm not suggesting either BTW). 

This, and a keeper who's not afraid to dominate his six yard box, will make the job of the defence that bit easier. 

I think we saw how the changing CB partnerships had a detrimental effect on Buchanan. 

We also missed Bielik's aerial presence enormously. 

Mengi would work in a three but not, IMHO, in a two. 

45 minutes ago, DCFC1388 said:

I'd take both Mengi & Edmundson back. We currently have no centre backs and they wouldn't really come in as 'new' signings needing time to settle. I do however feel like they both are better suited to RCB and would need a vocal leader alongside them, something which Clarke isn't. Mengi would also cover RB too, almost like a taller/faster/younger version of Wisdom.

We will probably at times go 3 at the back so we need 4, maybe 5, centre backs if we haven't got any youngsters ready to step up as 5th choice.

I would like Roberts back on loan but can't see it, I would expect City probably want to cash in on him with him being out of contract next summer.

I can see Rooney wanting to keep Gregory, if we're to go 2 upfront next season I think Gregory is decent in the 2. IF we are to go 2 up we probably need 3 more strikers as well as CKR.

Verdict is out with Baningime, didnt really get to see much of him but I did think he looked decent when he played. I do however feel like we need someone a bit taller to cover Bielik.

Yes, when push comes to shove, it can be said the players Rooney got in were what we needed and of reasonable quality.

Would be happy with Edmundson and Mengi as a CB pair, think there's small chance of Clarkey coming back. ?

5 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Yes, when push comes to shove, it can be said the players Rooney got in were what we needed and of reasonable quality.

Would be happy with Edmundson and Mengi as a CB pair, think there's small chance of Clarkey coming back. ?

Yes they played their part in our one win in 15 games Macca ?