Summer 2021 Transfer Window - Suggestion Thread

Kernow

I love a good thread like this

Ok. I'm going to go on the assumption that I want to play some kind of 4-3-3, and aim for 2 players in most positions.

Current Squad (contracted beyond June):

GK (3)- Marshall, Roos, Ravas.

LB (2)- Buchanan, Forsyth

RB (2)- Byrne

CB (4)- 

CM (6) (lumping together DM, CM and AM) - Bielik, Bird, Shinnie, Knight, Sibley

LW (2) - Lawrence

RW (2) - Jozwiak, Ibe

CF (3 - so we have options)- Kazim-Richards. 

From that lot, I would have no problem with Marshall, Byrne, Buchanan (yes, not his best season, but he's the future), 2-3 of those midfielders, Lawrence and Jozwiak being in our "normal" starting 11 next season.

I think Forsyth's time has come to an end, and I think it's time to be shot of Roos. With Ibe I'd be offering him termination if he's not going to get fit, but let's be optimistic and say we'll keep him around. Other than that, I figure we keep everyone because otherwise we'll have no players left.

Of our "out of contract" players, I'd offer Wisdom and Waghorn an extension. Wisdom because I think he can do a job and cover across the back, and Waghorn as, although he's had a bad season, he's a proven Championship level striker, clearly cares about the club, and it would also help with P&L if we keep him for another season. He's also, on his day, still a good player.

From the youth, and admittedly I don't see a lot of them, so maybe I'm wide of the mark here, but I'd promote Ebosele (cover for Byrne), Jordan Brown or Ethan Wassall (cover at CB - depending on who is more ready), Louie Watson, Bobby Duncan (or if we can't get him fit, Stretton) as cheap options for squad players. Also promote whichever keeper is most ready - let's say Yates. With those additions and subtractions... (bolding players that I'd be happy to have in my first XI (when everyone's fit)

GK (3)- Marshall, Ravas, Yates.

LB (2)- Buchanan

RB (2)- Byrne, Ebosele

CB (4)- Wisdom, Brown

CM (6) (lumping together DM, CM and AM) - Bielik, Bird, Shinnie, Knight, Sibley, Watson (sorry Shinnie, but when Bielik's fit, I reckon Bird is the better partner)

LW (2) - Lawrence

RW (2) - Jozwiak, Ibe

CF (3 - so we have options)- Kazim-Richards, Waghorn, Duncan. 

So to make a squad that I want, I need:

LB, CBx2, maybe another CM as an option, 2 wingers, and probably another CF.

It already seems that we'll get Mengi back on loan next season, though I would have to admit I'm not sure how highly I rate him from what I've seen so far... so I'm not going to take that into consideration. Would be happy to have one of the wingers and the "extra" CM as loans, but don't want to focus too much on loans.

CB 

Kyle Bartley (WBA) - free - wages might be a little high, but I think we could get him - new captain, also, by the way.

Reece Burke (Hull) - free - has played regularly for a promoted L1 Hull side- only 24 - stick him next to Bartley for a couple of seasons and we could have a lynchpin for the next 10 years)

LB

Joe Benett (Cardiff) - free - solid enough LB at Championship level, his experience would help Buchanan - questionable whether he'd come to us for non-guaranteed football, admittedly, but at 31 still has 2-3 years left in him and if Cardiff release him he'd probably come here. 

Wingers

Sullay Kaikai (Blackpool) - free - had a decent season in L1, with 15 goal contributions in 33 games. At 25, probably the right age to make the step up and, as with many of these potential options... out of contract in June.

CF

I might try and go for Jerry Yates at Blackpool- everyone talks about Clarke-Harris, and rightfully so, but he's scored a third of Blackpool's goals this season and, at 24, if they don't come up, Championship clubs may come knocking - might get him for around a million, which might not be doable, but still, have to have some optimism.

Add some loans to the mix for a bit of depth in CM and up front....

I'd try and get Roberts back - think he'd be a good option to have.

I'd also like to bring Delap back from City

And finally, bit of a gamble, but Ben Woodburn from Liverpool- only got 1 year left on his contract there so could be one of those "with a view to a permanent"... we did alright with our last Liverpool loanee...

LB (2)- Buchanan, Bennett

RB (2)- Byrne, Ebosele

CB (4)- Bartley, Burke, Wisdom, Brown

CM (6) (lumping together DM, CM and AM) - Bielik, Bird, Sibley, Shinnie, Knight, Watson, Woodburn (sorry Shinnie, but when Bielik's fit, I reckon Bird is the better partner)

LW (2) - Lawrence, Kaikai

RW (2) - Jozwiak, Roberts, Ibe

CF (3 - so we have options)- Yates, Delap, Kazim-Richards, Waghorn, Duncan. 

I reckon with a better manager, and only about £1m in fees, that's a good team in this league.

@erathirea really well thought out list. The fact the majority are free is where we are at currently. But then, I imagine a lot of EFL clubs will be in a similar boat.

The loan signings are where we could add real quality. Anyone fancy Garner from Utd? Forest liked him a lot and want him back. Could be a coup if Rooney nicks him from under their noses.

Not sure we will have any transfer fees to spend, and may need a sale or 2 to afford wages. Buchanan most likely. 

On 11/05/2021 at 10:07, erathirea said:

I love a good thread like this

Ok. I'm going to go on the assumption that I want to play some kind of 4-3-3, and aim for 2 players in most positions.

Current Squad (contracted beyond June):

GK (3)- Marshall, Roos, Ravas.

LB (2)- Buchanan, Forsyth

RB (2)- Byrne

CB (4)- 

CM (6) (lumping together DM, CM and AM) - Bielik, Bird, Shinnie, Knight, Sibley

LW (2) - Lawrence

RW (2) - Jozwiak, Ibe

CF (3 - so we have options)- Kazim-Richards. 

From that lot, I would have no problem with Marshall, Byrne, Buchanan (yes, not his best season, but he's the future), 2-3 of those midfielders, Lawrence and Jozwiak being in our "normal" starting 11 next season.

I think Forsyth's time has come to an end, and I think it's time to be shot of Roos. With Ibe I'd be offering him termination if he's not going to get fit, but let's be optimistic and say we'll keep him around. Other than that, I figure we keep everyone because otherwise we'll have no players left.

Of our "out of contract" players, I'd offer Wisdom and Waghorn an extension. Wisdom because I think he can do a job and cover across the back, and Waghorn as, although he's had a bad season, he's a proven Championship level striker, clearly cares about the club, and it would also help with P&L if we keep him for another season. He's also, on his day, still a good player.

From the youth, and admittedly I don't see a lot of them, so maybe I'm wide of the mark here, but I'd promote Ebosele (cover for Byrne), Jordan Brown or Ethan Wassall (cover at CB - depending on who is more ready), Louie Watson, Bobby Duncan (or if we can't get him fit, Stretton) as cheap options for squad players. Also promote whichever keeper is most ready - let's say Yates. With those additions and subtractions... (bolding players that I'd be happy to have in my first XI (when everyone's fit)

LB (2)- Buchanan

RB (2)- Byrne, Ebosele

CB (4)- Wisdom, Brown

CM (6) (lumping together DM, CM and AM) - Bielik, Bird, Shinnie, Knight, Sibley, Watson (sorry Shinnie, but when Bielik's fit, I reckon Bird is the better partner)

LW (2) - Lawrence

RW (2) - Jozwiak, Ibe

CF (3 - so we have options)- Kazim-Richards, Waghorn, Duncan. 

So to make a squad that I want, I need:

LB, CBx2, maybe another CM as an option, 2 wingers, and probably another CF.

It already seems that we'll get Mengi back on loan next season, though I would have to admit I'm not sure how highly I rate him from what I've seen so far... so I'm not going to take that into consideration. Would be happy to have one of the wingers and the "extra" CM as loans, but don't want to focus too much on loans.

CB 

Kyle Bartley (WBA) - free - wages might be a little high, but I think we could get him - new captain, also, by the way.

Reece Burke (Hull) - free - has played regularly for a promoted L1 Hull side- only 24 - stick him next to Bartley for a couple of seasons and we could have a lynchpin for the next 10 years)

LB

Joe Benett (Cardiff) - free - solid enough LB at Championship level, his experience would help Buchanan - questionable whether he'd come to us for non-guaranteed football, admittedly, but at 31 still has 2-3 years left in him and if Cardiff release him he'd probably come here. 

Wingers

Sullay Kaikai (Blackpool) - free - had a decent season in L1, with 15 goal contributions in 33 games. At 25, probably the right age to make the step up and, as with many of these potential options... out of contract in June.

CF

I might try and go for Jerry Yates at Blackpool- everyone talks about Clarke-Harris, and rightfully so, but he's scored a third of Blackpool's goals this season and, at 24, if they don't come up, Championship clubs may come knocking - might get him for around a million, which might not be doable, but still, have to have some optimism.

Add some loans to the mix for a bit of depth in CM and up front....

I'd try and get Roberts back - think he'd be a good option to have.

I'd also like to bring Delap back from City

And finally, bit of a gamble, but Ben Woodburn from Liverpool- only got 1 year left on his contract there so could be one of those "with a view to a permanent"... we did alright with our last Liverpool loanee...

LB (2)- Buchanan, Bennett

RB (2)- Byrne, Ebosele

CB (4)- Bartley, Burke, Wisdom, Brown

CM (6) (lumping together DM, CM and AM) - Bielik, Bird, Sibley, Shinnie, Knight, Watson, Woodburn (sorry Shinnie, but when Bielik's fit, I reckon Bird is the better partner)

LW (2) - Lawrence, Kaikai

RW (2) - Jozwiak, Roberts, Ibe

CF (3 - so we have options)- Yates, Delap, Kazim-Richards, Waghorn, Duncan. 

I reckon with a better manager, and only about £1m in fees, that's a good team in this league.

duncan as shown nothing to see him near the first time picture 

Cheap out of contract players might all we can get so... had a look at out of contract or now free agents 

(Some may of re signed with there clubs)

Alex Pritchard - free agent 

Steve Cook - CB

Junior Stanislas 

tommy Elpick -CB 

Ashley Fletcher 

1 minute ago, Topram said:

Cheap out of contract players might all we can get so... had a look at out of contract or now free agents 

(Some may of re signed with there clubs)

Alex Pritchard - a bit of a dick

Steve Cook - wages will be unaffordable. Probably signs an extension if the go up

Junior Stanislas - similar to above

tommy Elpick - injury prone

Ashley Fletcher - injury prone

1 minute ago, Topram said:

I get your edit but those might be the type we look at despite injury pasts etc we are pocketless 

Except at least 2 of those listed will be above what we can afford on wages.

If we're looking for cheap frees, then it'll be those from the SPL, lower Championship, L1, or youngsters being let go from PL clubs

SPL - Allan Campbell (Motherwell) seems like a standout option for competition at DM - wages, age, experience 
L1 - Reece Burke (Hull) a good option at CB as he's still quite young
Championship - Nyambe (Blackburn) could be a replacement for Byrne if we choose to cash in on him. Pearson (Luton) and McIntyre (Reading) options at CB. Mowatt (Barnsley) and Emiliano (Brentford) options at CM. James Collins (Luton) at CF.
PL - Bernabe and Felix Nmecha (Man City) are both attacking mids/wingers

Then you've also got cheap loans such as Mengi

Just now, DCFC1388 said:

Would probably taker Baker, Mariappa (if Davies leaves), Diedhiou (looks likely to go Boro), Lansbury, Paterson & Walsh

Yeah I think Rowe is a good utility option too if memory serves? Has played anywhere down the left and as a defensive minded midfielder as well I think, which could be useful if we need to operate with a smaller squad or if Buchanan leaves.

The caveat is of course that Bristol City were arguably the worst team in the division last season, if you ignore the first month or so. Even we beat them.

22 minutes ago, nottingram said:

Bristol City releasing some very decent players

38ED754D-2D12-46D9-BFBB-AD6F728AF52E.thumb.png.6b7d627c57a36cb2b84975b65e9ba059.png

Surprised they've released Diedhiou tbh.

51 goals in 169 appearances (11,678 mins equivalent to 129 matches)

2017/18 14 goals, 2018/19 13 goals, 2019/20 14 goals, 2020/21 10 goals

Shame he's probably joining Gibson's Gits

Perhaps they see him like some see Waghorn for us? (30 goals in 7,846 minutes - equiv. 87 matches)

Edited by Coconut

10 minutes ago, Coconut said:

Surprised they've released Diedhiou tbh.

51 goals in 169 appearances (11,678 mins equivalent to 129 matches)

2017/18 14 goals, 2018/19 13 goals, 2019/20 14 goals, 2020/21 10 goals

Shame he's probably joining Gibson's Gits

Perhaps they see him like some see Waghorn for us? (30 goals in 7,846 minutes - equiv. 87 matches)

Possibly just shows how clubs will need to cut their cloths. When you consider Bristol have fetched £20m odd just for one player in the last few years it shows how difficult it will be for clubs like us who sell their best players for a bag of nuts. 

Notably lots of experience on that list which typically would mean they’re the big earners.

Diedhou would be an ideal one for us if we could afford it but yes, shame he looks to be going to Boro. Walsh always struck me as a good player and is the right age but DM/CM probably the only area we don’t need incomings. 

17 minutes ago, nottingram said:

Bristol City releasing some very decent players

38ED754D-2D12-46D9-BFBB-AD6F728AF52E.thumb.png.6b7d627c57a36cb2b84975b65e9ba059.png

Whatever happened to Lansbury!

Always wanted us to sign Mariappa in the past, but he’s too old now, unless we’re desperate for a short term fix.

Diedhiou is a decent striker and could be worth looking at.

Bakers decent but very injury prone.

The rest I don’t think would improve us.