Wayne Rooney

EdinRam

Freedom of Derby  

64 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

We're an old and illustrious club with more glory to look back on than most clubs...and yet Rooney will be able write his own chapter in it if he manages to keep us up, this might not be the most glamorous job in English football at the moment (to say the least) but I think Rooney knows how big it is to keep the Rams in the Championship, despite all odds. The world will be watching if he does. Achievement wise it is better level of performance IMO than Pep winning the Premiership or guiding Everton to midtable obscurity. If he manages the Great Escape he can seal himself into a Derby folklore immaterial of what comes after. The guy then could take any job and leave this club with legend status (hopefully later rather than sooner).

The man is just class. I can't think of anyone who would have turned down an interview at their boyhood club, a Premiership club, to stay at this total car crash of a football club. It is an unbelievable decision, it defies logic but it proves that he was telling the truth when he said he wanted to restore pride to this club. 

Whilst Rooney deserves every single platitude coming his way, I think we should all remember loyalty cuts both ways. This club will get back on its feet one day & at that point, expectations will rise. Don't want to see any kneejerk 'we've lost 3 games in a row, he has to go' nonsense - he deserves more leeway than any manager we've ever had. Because at our lowest ebb, he stuck with us & he didn't have to ?

p.s. @RoyMac5 you called it - Chapeau

1 hour ago, Jimbo Ram said:

I think Hull are out of our reach, just Reading and Cardiff to catch….

And a lot of Rams fans thought we were out of reach to survive the Championship when we had 21 points deducted. Still more twists and turns to go yet. With most teams with 19 or 20 matches to play for (thats 60pts) you would'nt bet on Birmingham and Bristol being safe yet. But I have to agree Reading and Cardiff look in danger out of the bottom teams just clear of the drop positions.

1 hour ago, Steve How Hard? said:

My flabber has been gasted. I just presumed he hadn't been considered for the role this time. Astonishing that he's turned it down. The man is immense. Hand on heart, I'm not sure I could have made that call had I been him. 

He may have made poor choices off the field in his personal life but he will quite rightly receive bucket loads of respect for this decision and not just by us fellow Rams. I just hope nothing else hamstrings him from completing the fairytale. 

Well my gabber has been flasted too!!! I also assumed he had just been overlooked and consider ‘not yet ready’ …. but obviously not. In a time when football’s morals & ethics are at an absolute zero he deserves all the praise going. Perhaps Frank needs to take a page from his book. Just as Margaret B alluded too people have long memories, the Derby footballing public will never forget this and hopefully the wider footballing world will take heed too. Wayne deserves great credit for this decision and I hope it serves him well for his future in the game  …. whatever that has in store for him. One thing is for certain he’ll be welcome back into the county of Derby for the rest of his life. 

Edited by Gisby
Typo

Not just him but this whole squad.

This Derby team will likely win us no trophies, no silverware or medals, provide no glorious drubbings or incredible winning runs. Yet they are among my favourite Derby sides to watch and they make me as proud as any Derby team I've ever seen.

And Wayne leads them. He has created a truly iconic, historic, heroic squad that I will never forget.

If this is the last ever Derby County squad we see in its current incarnation, then they're the best you could realistically hope for. If the club died, we'd be going out in a blaze of glory

49 minutes ago, Gritstone Ram said:

I think that Wayne has, after playing most of his career at Man Utd, suddenly realised what a proper football club is and what proper football fans are. His lad sits in the crowd at away games. I think he can feel the love. 

He stands up he does not sit down I think he is now Derby lad.

8 minutes ago, Tombo said:

Not just him but this whole squad.

This Derby team will likely win us no trophies, no silverware or medals, provide no glorious drubbings or incredible winning runs. Yet they are among my favourite Derby sides to watch and they make me as proud as any Derby team I've ever seen.

And Wayne leads them. He has created a truly iconic, historic, heroic squad that I will never forget.

If this is the last ever Derby County squad we see in its current incarnation, then they're the best you could realistically hope for. If the club died, we'd be going out in a blaze of glory

This is not last one trust me I think when roony final allowed to spend on players I think you will see title winning side.

I don't know if it's just me, but having followed THE MIGHTY RAMS since Arthur's first year, I can honestly say that I've ever ever been more proud to be RAM. Whilst Rooney gets the deserved praise and rightfully so, the players this year have stood out. Playing as if it was your last game is all I ever wanted from the players playing for MY club. Hand on heart! Never felt more connected to the players than right now! 

2 hours ago, LeedsCityRam said:

The man is just class. I can't think of anyone who would have turned down an interview at their boyhood club, a Premiership club, to stay at this total car crash of a football club. It is an unbelievable decision, it defies logic but it proves that he was telling the truth when he said he wanted to restore pride to this club. 

Whilst Rooney deserves every single platitude coming his way, I think we should all remember loyalty cuts both ways. This club will get back on its feet one day & at that point, expectations will rise. Don't want to see any kneejerk 'we've lost 3 games in a row, he has to go' nonsense - he deserves more leeway than any manager we've ever had. Because at our lowest ebb, he stuck with us & he didn't have to ?

p.s. @RoyMac5 you called it - Chapeau

Exactly this.  I can’t think of any other manager who would have stuck by us like he has.  Even when his boyhood club come calling.

I was very critical last year but the way he’s turned us round and got everyone on side is fantastic.  And I think he gets it.  What DCFC means, what it’s like to play and manage in a one club city, which he’s never had in England.

And, @David you were also banging the Rooney drum from day one.  Wish I’d have had the faith a year ago too.

Edited by FlyBritishMidland

3 minutes ago, FlyBritishMidland said:

Exactly this.  I can’t think of any other manager who would have stuck by us like he has.  Even when his boyhood club come calling.

I was very critical last year but the way he’s turned us round and got everyone on side is fantastic.  And I think he gets it.  What DCFC means, what it’s like to play and manage in a one club city, which he’s never had in England.

And, @David you were also banging the Rooney drum from day one.  Wish I’d have had the faith a year ago too.

I remember when Lampard was being linked, the argument at the time was how many ex players go on to be decent managers, but he, Gerrard and Rooney have all gone on to do well since moving into management, despite being labelled as celebrities. 

When Rooney inevitably leaves for a bigger job, I will be banging the giving another player a chance to find his feet drum, some will flop you can guarantee it, you will never get a 100% hit rate.

I would take the risk on something new than grabbing the same old managers off the experienced dinosaur Hughton, Big Sam, Pardew merry go round.

Someone like Michael Carrick, although I will remain hopeful that the new owners will manage to tie Rooney down to another couple of years before looking ahead too far.