Melvyn Morris fan club

35 minutes ago, FlyBritishMidland said:

Good posts @duncanjwitham.  The problems we have now stem from the signings made when Clement was appointed and Mel took sole control.  We gambled on going up and it didn’t pay off.  It was a here and now approach rather than a strategic plan.  And moving between managers and style of play at a rate of knots.

Can the stattos on here confirm or deny when Clement was sacked...were we top or near the top of the Championship.

We certainly gambled, It didn't pay off as the Manager was removed from duties.

The excuse of not playing the "Derby way" was the biggest con since Sepp Blatter said the Qatar world cup bid was free and fare.

7 minutes ago, CBRammette said:

Exactly. Have worked with many high net worth individuals. Those just wanting to reduce tax bill choose to do so by many means other than donating to charity, especially such large sums.  Only those that actually want to donate do so. Having seen/prepared the tax returns of many HNWIs you would (or perhaps wouldnt!) be surprised at how few do give significant amounts to charity. For many its the sort of amounts we may give. So Mel's charitable giving is just that and he should be applauded for it

I wonder if Rooney asked Morris to sign his sponsor form for SoccerAid last week?

13 minutes ago, Unlucky Alf said:

Can the stattos on here confirm or deny when Clement was sacked...were we top or near the top of the Championship.

The excuse of not playing the "Derby way" was the biggest con since Sepp Blatter said the Qatar world cup bid was free and fare.

There was a story circulating around PP about the reason for his departure, which I will not repeat and it certainly was nothing to do with "Derby way"

46 minutes ago, Unlucky Alf said:

We were 4th in the table.

46 minutes ago, Unlucky Alf said:

We were 5th in the table when Morris bulleted him, at Christmas I believe we were actually top but then went on a run of no wins in about 7 or 8 games when we slipped to 5th then Clement was sacked. 

Interestingly at the start of the campaign Morris said that promotion that season wasn't a priority.....but playing style and strength of squad was. 

He also used those reasons when he sacked him..

Morris said the club had worked with Clement to "develop a plan" that made it clear promotion was not a priority this season.

That plan was then "briefed" to the club's supporters, players and sponsors in the summer.

"The priorities were building on the Derby way and style of football enjoyed in the past two seasons, adding depth and strength to our playing squad," said Morris.

He also said the club needed to develop and improve player and team performance.

"Sadly, on these measurements, we have not made enough progress and that is why we have decided to part company with Paul.

"I firmly believe that we have one of the very best first-team squads in this league. Our players are highly talented professionals who are more than capable of winning games at this level and beyond."

In November, Morris, who is also the club's owner, said Clement could become Derby's Sir Alex Ferguson by building a lasting dynasty.

Edited by Yani P

21 hours ago, Stive Pesley said:

I didn't know about his charity work

https://register-of-charities.charitycommission.gov.uk/charity-search/-/charity-details/5054014/financial-history

He donated £12.5m when setting up this charity in 2016, who have since spent around £3m of that sponsoring research. The other £9m is still in their bank account. Or it was in the last set of accounts published. The accounts for last year are nearly a year overdue...

I saw something the other day that suggested the Conservative Party are one of his favourite charities!

Edited by DarkFruitsRam7

1 hour ago, CBRammette said:

Having seen/prepared the tax returns of many HNWIs you would (or perhaps wouldnt!) be surprised at how few do give significant amounts to charity. For many its the sort of amounts we may give. So Mel's charitable giving is just that and he should be applauded for it

With respect - unless you were privy to the tax returns and accounting practices of MM then you're just guessing, and I remain unconvinced

And as for the government "giving" the charity Gift Aid - let's not forget that Gift Aid fundamentally comes from the government purse ie other tax payers money (ie you and me)

So in donating £10m , £2m of our tax take gets "given" to this charity in the form of gift aid. He hasn't spent all of it, so he's effectively taken money out of the economy, and it's sat in a bank account that he controls. Doing nothing

Anyone know what this charity actually does in detail (they have no website) and how one might apply for a grant?

20 minutes ago, Stive Pesley said:

With respect - unless you were privy to the tax returns and accounting practices of MM then you're just guessing, and I remain unconvinced

And as for the government "giving" the charity Gift Aid - let's not forget that Gift Aid fundamentally comes from the government purse ie other tax payers money (ie you and me)

So in donating £10m , £2m of our tax take gets "given" to this charity in the form of gift aid. He hasn't spent all of it, so he's effectively taken money out of the economy, and it's sat in a bank account that he controls. Doing nothing

Anyone know what this charity actually does in detail (they have no website) and how one might apply for a grant?

With respect yourself I did not mention the details of mel's accounting or tax return. I mentioned the comparison to other HNWIs of which I have seen the detail of many. please see other posts above mine about actually having to give the money to the charity which were quite clear

1 hour ago, Charlotte Ram said:

And your point is he should not be free to choose who he votes for?

No point whatsoever. Just found it interesting.

Certainly don't think he should have hosted Theresa May at Pride Park during her election campaign though. Mind you, that's way down my list of grievances with the bloke.

6 minutes ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

No point whatsoever. Just found it interesting.

Certainly don't think he should have hosted Theresa May at Pride Park during her election campaign though. Mind you, that's way down my list of grievances with the bloke.

It is his club and stadium he can host who he damn well wants, I would not dictate who you could entertain in your house,

this thread is getting ridiculous  

1 hour ago, Stive Pesley said:

Gift Aid comes from the money the individual is liable to pay in tax - if you don't pay tax, you can't claim Gift Aid or the higher rate rebate. The government is only refunding your own money, not other taxpayers' money.

You can argue that if he didn't give the money to charity, the tax on it would all go to the public purse, but you don't get to choose what it's spent on, so it seems churlish to complain about the money going to a charity, even if the charity isn't particularly active. He can't get the donation back.