Jozwiak

vonwright

1 hour ago, duncanjwitham said:

I'm not surprised we tried to offload him - he's probably the most expendable of the bigger earners, and maybe most likely to command a high-ish fee.  But I don't see why he'd want to go to the MLS. I always assumed he'd end up at a midtable German team or something.

And will there still be further fees due?

• 2 weeks later...
On 31/10/2021 at 18:25, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

As a winger you should be getting 15-20 clear assists and scoring 8-10 goals per season.  You should make the full back hesitant to go forward very often.  If your not doing that, your not contributing what's required.  

If we had more options, he wouldn't be getting games.

Don't know if he's not settled or just not great but time to move along when we can start trading again.

Joz was never everyone’s cup of tea , but I just wonder if Waghorn had stayed onside for his “goal” v Florists , would his career at Rams have taken off.

6 minutes ago, jimtastic56 said:

Joz was never everyone’s cup of tea , but I just wonder if Waghorn had stayed onside for his “goal” v Florists , would his career at Rams have taken off.

It wouldn't have made any difference. He has not scored enough or really looked like scoring. It's a shame but he has flattered to deceive. 

7 minutes ago, jimtastic56 said:

Joz was never everyone’s cup of tea

I just don't think he was the type of player that a lot of fans wanted him to be.  Fans wanted a 'proper winger' who'd drop his shoulder, beat a man and whip a cross in. Jozwiak is more of a Simon Dawkins-type player, all close control and layoffs and moving the ball around quickly.  He was quite effective when we got players around him and running off him. When he was stuck out wide and got isolated, he struggled.

The interesting question is whether the club/manager knew what type of player he was before we signed him. Given that Cocu apparently played with strong, quick, physical wingers at PSV to stretch the field, signing a player like Jozwiak doesn't make a whole lot of sense if he wanted the same here.

16 minutes ago, jimtastic56 said:

He didn't have much luck, that's for sure, nor protection from referees. Teams targeted him for a clattering every game virtually. You'd have to conclude that the EFL doesn't suit him.

12 minutes ago, duncanjwitham said:

I just don't think he was the type of player that a lot of fans wanted him to be.  Fans wanted a 'proper winger' who'd drop his shoulder, beat a man and whip a cross in. Jozwiak is more of a Simon Dawkins-type player, all close control and layoffs and moving the ball around quickly.  He was quite effective when we got players around him and running off him. When he was stuck out wide and got isolated, he struggled.

The interesting question is whether the club/manager knew what type of player he was before we signed him. Given that Cocu apparently played with strong, quick, physical wingers at PSV to stretch the field, signing a player like Jozwiak doesn't make a whole lot of sense if he wanted the same here.

The evidence from his time in / for Poland and his early appearances for us suggested that he was a direct pacy winger though. Mainly when played on the left... which we hardlly ever did.

He can be a Simon Dawkins like player, which is what we sort of turned him into but never actually supported, or he can be a direct winger, which we never used him as once Cocu left.

The idea under Cocu was that we passed the ball around to create some space, even if it was too slow and then used a little bit of pace at the right time to get in behind. In his first season when we finished 10th there was the basis of a good team there, it just didn't have anyone with even a modicum of pace to change things up.

He just ended stuck in the middle, never really put to any real use.

If Chris Martin had stuck around or we'd been able to sign Dursun things could have turned out very differently.

Edited by Coconut's Beard

56 minutes ago, Gaspode said:

So wanted him to work out for us, but afraid my abiding memory of him will be his final appearance - running towards the opposition goal, realising he didn't know what to do next, falling over and injuring himself.....such a disappointing signing...

To be fair, he had lumps kicked out of him that game by Bowyer's thugs.

1 hour ago, Crewton said:

To be fair, he had lumps kicked out of him that game by Bowyer's thugs.

Surprised he was played if he was going.  Assumed Rooney was clueless and the player said nowt to him either.  Might have paid 5 weeks wages for nothing.  Good stuff in the current situation.

13 hours ago, Yani P said:

Our Admins are cracking at doing a job they have no qualifications to do..selling footballers for next to nothing..

Or, selling a player that's injured for another month, saving (1 of the higher) wages and getting sufficient funds to keep the club afloat for the rest of the season.....

The general consensus was that we won't miss him as he wasn't up to much, so getting circa £1,000,000+ for him is arguably a good deal ?