Jozwiak

vonwright

2 hours ago, angieram said:

I thought he played really well on Tuesday night, really poorly on Saturday.

He hasn't had much football lately, but he does blow hot and cold. Still trying to figure out why.

It's always been the way with wingers. They're inconsistent.

In winning, successful teams, the fans are more patient, perhaps because they can afford to be.

In less successful sides, ahem, cough, the fans seem to prefer those who put a foot in than those who try to create.

As a Jozwiak fan, but one who didn't see Saturday's game, I'd also argue in his defence that, even when he's not playing well, he does chase back and "put a shift in".

48 minutes ago, IslandExile said:

It's always been the way with wingers. They're inconsistent.

In winning, successful teams, the fans are more patient, perhaps because they can afford to be.

In less successful sides, ahem, cough, the fans seem to prefer those who put a foot in than those who try to create.

As a Jozwiak fan, but one who didn't see Saturday's game, I'd also argue in his defence that, even when he's not playing well, he does chase back and "put a shift in".

Joz has not taken his chances to shine. He may pick up a lot when Bielik is back.

Played in Steve McClaren's 2013-2015 teams he'd be very good in the (massively undervalued) Dawkins role, where you could get away with not being the most direct of players and always had good passing options on. Playing him in a team where he's got absolutely no support whatsoever and basically telling him to hold the ball up with defenders up his arse it's hardly a surprise he isn't performing.

We play a system which is all about the full backs getting up the pitch, the 'winger' is just a support player. On the right he often linked up well with an overlapping Byrne (not that anyone appreciated it), on the left he's got Buchanan.

For all Buchanan's qualities he isn't much of a link-up player. He's far more likely to ignore the option of a one-two designed to create space and instead just try to run all the way with it himself, leaving his supporting player with no real role to play other than trying to win the ball back should the full back lose it.

That's seen as Jozwiak 'doing nothing' because he hasn't pushed forward. He's stayed back to cover, but then he then gets criticised for not defending well enough (which may itself be fair) so really, he can't win - he ends up in no-man's land going forward and going backwards.

As I said a few months back, there's absolutely no point in Jozwiak staying because we do absolutely nothing to help him play his natural game; on top of that as soon as he steps on the pitch you've got a whole bunch of anti-support types waiting with bated breath for him to make an error so that they can (once again) single him out for criticism, often with disproportionate criticism to that which they'll dish out to other players

Edited by Coconut's Beard

23 minutes ago, Coconut's Beard said:

Played in Steve McClaren's 2013-2015 teams he'd be very good in the (massively undervalued) Dawkins role, where you could get away with not being the most direct of players and always had good passing options on. Playing him in a team where he's got absolutely no support whatsoever and basically telling him to hold the ball up with defenders up his arse it's hardly a surprise he isn't performing.

We play a system which is all about the full backs getting up the pitch, the 'winger' is just a support player. On the right he often linked up well with an overlapping Byrne (not that anyone appreciated it), on the left he's got Buchanan.

For all Buchanan's qualities he isn't much of a link-up player. He's far more likely to ignore the option of a one-two designed to create space and instead just try to run all the way with it himself, leaving his supporting player with no real role to play other than trying to win the ball back should the full back lose it.

That's seen as Jozwiak 'doing nothing' because he hasn't pushed forward. He's stayed back to cover, but then he then gets criticised for not defending well enough (which may itself be fair) so really, he can't win - he ends up in no-man's land going forward and going backwards.

As I said a few months back, there's absolutely no point in Jozwiak staying because we do absolutely nothing to help him play his natural game; on top of that as soon as he steps on the pitch you've got a whole bunch of anti-support types waiting with bated breath for him to make an error so that they can (once again) single him out for criticism, often with disproportionate criticism to that which they'll dish out to other players

Brilliant! You've summed it up perfectly! This is a player highly rated by an international team who performed Ok in a major competition.A player who recently played competently against England and didn't look out of place against 100 million pound opponents such as Grealish Kane Sterling...yet lots of his so called fans reckon he's not good enough for bottom of the 2nd Division Derby County! Truly astounding lack of football knowledge.I do hope we do sell him in January to a club and fans who will appreciate his ability.

5 minutes ago, Patrick Rams said:

Brilliant! You've summed it up perfectly! This is a player highly rated by an international team who performed Ok in a major competition.A player who recently played competently against England and didn't look out of place against 100 million pound opponents such as Grealish Kane Sterling...yet lots of his so called fans reckon he's not good enough for bottom of the 2nd Division Derby County! Truly astounding lack of football knowledge.I do hope we do sell him in January to a club and fans who will appreciate his ability.

It doesn't matter if he played well against England once. It doesn't matter if he does well for Poland regularly. It doesn't matter if he's the greatest player on the planet.

If he doesn't fit with our way of playing football and cannot adapt to what he's being asked to do, then he's not much value to us. He might go on and do well elsewhere, it doesn't matter to us. It's about what he has shown here, in this setup with this set of managers and players. And unless you're suggesting we start again and build a team and style of play around him, then getting some money in and putting it to best use into areas of the team that need it sounds like a good plan to me. 

I think he's ok, I don't think he's anything particularly special and he doesn't bring anything to the team that others don't. I don't buy into this argument that he's somehow hard done to and neither do I see any spark that makes me think if we tweaked this or that he'd somehow be much better. He's had plenty of opportunities and he's shown himself to be a reasonable player in a reasonable team, same as most of the squad really.

10 minutes ago, belperram9 said:

Was good again today. 

He had little of the ball and Byrne wasn't at his best. But the best chance of the first half was created by Joz and Byrne, great pullback from Joz for Sibley to mis-control in the box.

Edited by RoyMac5

Thought Byrne had a very poor game today which certainly wouldnt have helped Joz..but for a player so highly rated by some, he rarely shines and doesnt really create his own space. The cross today was a great bit of skill and tenacity which should have resulted in a goal but one small moment in a game isnt enough is it.

Ive said it many times. I was told to give him time...blah blah blah...whatever i said before i stand by it x10. The lad is poor. Technically rubbish. He runs around alot and that is it. Did you see him receive the ball out on the right mid way thru first half and his mis control looked like he actually passed it to their player??? Anybody trying to defend this player now is in denial. He will be sold in January. Leave him out the side. 

2 hours ago, Abu Derby said:

We could have got someone more effective from League 2 for a tenth of the cost. 
The first thing the new owner needs to do is completely overhaul our scouting set up which has contributed massively to the mess that we find ourselves in. 

Surely we haven't got a scouting setup? If we couldn't sign anyone why would we need scouts? They should have been the first ones made redundant.