Jozwiak

vonwright

I didn't see how he performed against Blackburn but I think the main issue is....

We know there's some talent there, you can just tell

He looks like he's about to be brilliant

He does it for Poland

He seems like a genuinely likeable guy that wants to do well

But when it comes down to goals and assists, and as a winger/forward, that's what we expect and judge a player on, he just doesn't seem to quite do it in a Derby shirt.

Whatever the reason, himself, playtime, team fit, it just doesn't seem to work.

And it pains me, as I thought he would be a quality signing, I've bigged him up to those around me from the get go.

Maybe for himself more than  anything, he needs a new challenge, and I wouldn't be surprised to see him playing at a level above us at some point.

9 hours ago, Chris_Martin said:

Why is everyone slating Jozwiak for todays game?

Yes he was poor 1st half, but so was the entire team!

We only had one decent chance 1st half, which he created, running to the by-line and crossing in for Sibley to mess up.

Don't get why he seems to be the scapegoat every time. 

Yep, we could have substituted almost anyone at HT. At least the other 9 were given 45 minutes to redeem themselves. 

9 hours ago, Chris_Martin said:

We only had one decent chance 1st half, which he created, running to the by-line and crossing in for Sibley to mess up.

If you look at the ratings you’ll see that most people are critical of the whole team yesterday (apart from Bird and CKR).

I think the reasons Joswiak has his own thread and perhaps comes in for more criticism is because:

1) Being a regular in the Poland team, where he seems to do well most games, expectations are higher. I get the argument that Poland play a different type of game to Derby and that suits him but, he should still be showing his obvious ability a bit more in a Derby shirt. Taking on and beating defenders, making the right decision more often.

2) Most, if not all, other players are not so consistently disappointing.

One thing I would say, apart from yesterday, he has improved his closing down and tackling but we need him as an attacking threat and outlet who can hold onto the ball. I really want him to be successful but he’s just not doing it for me. I wouldn’t be surprised if he’s on his way back to Poland in January.

1 minute ago, Gerry Daly said:

At the end of the day if you pay 4million for a current international to play in the second division he should be outstanding. He isn’t in fact he is no better than our academy products who are considerably younger

Not much worse than Lawrence?

6 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Not much worse than Lawrence?

That’s a terrible comparison, Lawrence is head and shoulders above him in performances last season and this season. 

3 hours ago, Tamworthram said:

One thing I would say, apart from yesterday, he has improved his closing down and tackling but we need him as an attacking threat and outlet who can hold onto the ball. I really want him to be successful but he’s just not doing it for me. I wouldn’t be surprised if he’s on his way back to Poland in January.

that's not his game though, he is more of a run in behind, counter attacking type player. It just seems like a waste why we keep making him play this way. 

4 minutes ago, Chris_Martin said:

that's not his game though, he is more of a run in behind, counter attacking type player. It just seems like a waste why we keep making him play this way. 

I’ve not seen much of Poland so, a genuine question, doesn’t he take on and beat defenders or lay the ball off for them?

If he can only play effectively in a counter attacking team then surely we either need to drop him or change our style of play. Personally, whilst it’s all too often ineffective at the moment, I’d rather play a possession based style and counter attacking.

8 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

I’ve not seen much of Poland so, a genuine question, doesn’t he take on and beat defenders or lay the ball off for them?

If he can only play effectively in a counter attacking team then surely we either need to drop him or change our style of play. Personally, whilst it’s all too often ineffective at the moment, I’d rather play a possession based style and counter attacking.

Poland tend to play a couple of quick passes and get the ball down the sides for them to run behind and cross in. 

Yes ideally change our style of play to suit him, but i actually think several of our players are more suited to counter attacking style. 

??? how do you play possession based style and counter attacking?

I've always said give him a chance let him find his feet. But he's in his second season now and still doesn't look like getting it together.

'He would be a better player in a better team' is a poor excuse. I mean, wouldn't everyone? 

It's a shame as I liked the signing. But he's making all these appearances and never looks like scoring. It's really poor for a player whose supposed to be a winger. 

But in fairness, we have been a very low scoring team the last couple of seasons in general. 

Hopefully he will improve when Bielik comes back into the side. As he looked very good in that spell last season.

He didn’t offer a great deal yesterday and with the way the game was going it was probably right to sub him but he never received the ball to his feet. A few long passes vaguely in his direction, chasing a shadow ball. Never got a chance … except once. Right ball right place, great effort, burned down to the byline with serious determination and played a perfect cross, shin height at pace to the 6 yard line. .. give him the ball and he’ll do that more often. .. We were so so slow in the first half yesterday .. players constantly coming back for the ball instead of moving forward to receive it and the man with the ball waiting for players to come back and get it. We didn’t pass through lines .. we retreated and let the other side establish a line in front of us. … There was a guy behind me saying ..” retain the ball .. you didn’t need to that fancy flick” … NO ! … those one touch plays are the ones that break lines, the catalysts. Joz needs that sort of movement. 

14 minutes ago, jono said:

He didn’t offer a great deal yesterday and with the way the game was going it was probably right to sub him but he never received the ball to his feet. A few long passes vaguely in his direction, chasing a shadow ball. Never got a chance … except once. Right ball right place, great effort, burned down to the byline with serious determination and played a perfect cross, shin height at pace to the 6 yard line. .. give him the ball and he’ll do that more often. .. We were so so slow in the first half yesterday .. players constantly coming back for the ball instead of moving forward to receive it and the man with the ball waiting for players to come back and get it. We didn’t pass through lines .. we retreated and let the other side establish a line in front of us. … There was a guy behind me saying ..” retain the ball .. you didn’t need to that fancy flick” … NO ! … those one touch plays are the ones that break lines, the catalysts. Joz needs that sort of movement. 

I think you’ve nailed it Jono. The odd occasion I’ve seen him play for Poland he looks a different animal, however they play a completely different style.

He reminds me a bit of Kevin Harper (remember him), a winger who really didn’t suit the way we played at the time and suffered because of it.

Someone else last week mentioned that his role is really constrained to the channel, he usually has the LB overlapping him so he hangs back to cover, we also don’t break forward with pace that often and when we do it’s usually Morrison with the ball ignoring all options and then turning back or losing it, must be frustrating.

I just don’t think we play in a way that works for him and his confidence has taken a whack. Look at how he improved when Beilik came in, breaking the lines and passing to him in space!

Saying all that he clearly needs to do more, but I’m not sure we’re going to get it. Probably best for all parties to try and move him on in Jan if poss

15 hours ago, Chris_Martin said:

Could it be that expectations are proportionally higher for Jozwiak given the transfer fee involved and that he is a European international player?

Not condoning this judgement by the way just speculating on the potential reasons behind this. Would explain why he has a dedicated thread too. 

We don't play in a way or system that suits him. I'd like to see him in a 442 playing wide a few games in a row but not sure the rest of the squad suits that. I think he would be really good there. I find it strange we bought him, he clearly is not enough of a hold up player or a goal threat to play in a front three.

54 minutes ago, Ramarena said:

I think you’ve nailed it Jono. The odd occasion I’ve seen him play for Poland he looks a different animal, however they play a completely different style.

He reminds me a bit of Kevin Harper (remember him), a winger who really didn’t suit the way we played at the time and suffered because of it.

Someone else last week mentioned that his role is really constrained to the channel, he usually has the LB overlapping him so he hangs back to cover, we also don’t break forward with pace that often and when we do it’s usually Morrison with the ball ignoring all options and then turning back or losing it, must be frustrating.

I just don’t think we play in a way that works for him and his confidence has taken a whack. Look at how he improved when Beilik came in, breaking the lines and passing to him in space!

Saying all that he clearly needs to do more, but I’m not sure we’re going to get it. Probably best for all parties to try and move him on in Jan if poss

I suspect you are right re moving him on (unless we get Bielik back, a purple patch and points deductions final story,that doesn’t cripple us. - a tall order to get the full house of those ! ) 

I am and always have been a lover of wingers and full backs who make their own two man mini team over lap and create dynamic one sided duos .. always dangerous 

The problem yesterday with jozwiak was that he was up top for some reason. Stupid. He’s always been a winger. But instead ravel was on the wing. The reason we lost yesterday was nothing to do with joz he’s clearly not a striker and I dint know why we persist with him there