Previous managers

RamLad1884

1 hour ago, RamLad1884 said:

Sorry it may not have been clear from my statement, Clough's recruitment for frees/nominal fees was excellent. 

Where he failed was with the bigger money... Sammon, Maguire, Fielding and Bailey come to mind. 

I fear he wouldn't know what to do if we gave him £5mill to spend on a player for instance. 

£1.2m, £400k, £300k and £500k. The latter three isn't exactly big money. Fielding and Bailey actually started their careers very well.

The fact those are the worst players Clough paid a fee for shows exactly how well he did in the market.

19 minutes ago, IslandExile said:

Suggested this before:

Clough or Cocu DoF: responsible for transfers but nothing else.

McClaren First Team Coach: responsible for team selection and tactics.

Also have a feeling Cocu would be a great Director of Football - he seems more a club builder than a first team manager & his record on both transfers & youth development were very good during his time here. 

My first choice for manager/coach would be George Burley (not seen that he's officially retired) - the only manager I was absolutely gutted to see leave. Loved the way his teams played football, loved the way he took a ragbag of kids & unknown European talent and turned them into a really good side. To follow him with Phil Brown seemed a deliberately insulting act.

Edited by LeedsCityRam

1 hour ago, seths-cap said:

I used to like the idea of Clough scouting for players and Mac coaching them. Look what Steve did with the last squad Nigel built.

You'd want his brother, Simon looking for the players. He's always been chief scout wherever Nigel has been.

Nige gave him a remit of what he wanted. Simon (more often than not) found the players. It worked well... very well in comparison to recruitment since (where I've wondered if there's been any discussion at all between management and scouting with some of them!).

11 hours ago, RamLad1884 said:

Sorry it may not have been clear from my statement, Clough's recruitment for frees/nominal fees was excellent. 

Where he failed was with the bigger money... Sammon, Maguire, Fielding and Bailey come to mind. 

I fear he wouldn't know what to do if we gave him £5mill to spend on a player for instance. 

Bailey, Fielding and Maguire cost £1,000,000 between them. Bailey was only moved on because Hendrick and then Hughes broke into the first team.

Got a lot of time for Nigel but I don't think I've ever seen him as a long term answer to our problems. In all the years he was here we never put together a proper run of form which showed progress. The odd purple patch of flash in the pan but a few games later it was back to the cautious, Jake Buxton in CDM for the last 10 mins Clough. Did the job he was brought in to do, steadied the ship in both finances and league we were in.

Frank and Jodie I'm not having either tbh. Apart from that late surge to secure our Play Off place and the away semi-final at Leeds it was very up and down. Probably had the three best loanees in the league, would have been interesting to see what he did without them the year after (Or not). 10+ million on Malone, Waggy and Marriott... Its a no from me. 

In recent years, it'll probably have to be ol' snake hips Rowett. Wasn't a massive fan but got the job done and pretty convincingly. Probably the most organised side we've had in a fair few years, could do with some of that now. 

10 minutes ago, Mr Tibbs said:

Got a lot of time for Nigel but I don't think I've ever seen him as a long term answer to our problems. In all the years he was here we never put together a proper run of form which showed progress. The odd purple patch of flash in the pan but a few games later it was back to the cautious, Jake Buxton in CDM for the last 10 mins Clough. Did the job he was brought in to do, steadied the ship in both finances and league we were in.

Frank and Jodie I'm not having either tbh. Apart from that late surge to secure our Play Off place and the away semi-final at Leeds it was very up and down. Probably had the three best loanees in the league, would have been interesting to see what he did without them the year after (Or not). 10+ million on Malone, Waggy and Marriott... Its a no from me. 

In recent years, it'll probably have to be ol' snake hips Rowett. Wasn't a massive fan but got the job done and pretty convincingly. Probably the most organised side we've had in a fair few years, could do with some of that now. 

I hated rowettball with a passion,I still do although now we have even worse football with nothing to show for it.

Edited by kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong

When comparing Nigel Clough's signings you've got to remember just how long he was here and how many there were! From what I can find if you combine loans & full transfers there were 63 players signed under him:

Adam Legzdins, Adam Smith, Alberto Bueno, Barry Bannan, Ben Davies, Ben Pringle, Brad Jones, Bryan Hughes, Chris Maguire, Chris Martin, Chris Porter, Conor Doyle, Conor Sammon, Craig Bryson, Craig Forsyth, Daniel Ayala, Dave Martin, David Martin, Dean Moxey, DJ Campbell, Frank Fielding, Fredrik Stoor, Gareth Roberts, Gilles Sunu, Jake Buxton, Jake Livermore, James Bailey, James O'Connor, James Vaughan, Jamie Ward, Jason Shackell, Javan Vidal, John Brayford, John Eustace, Johnny Russell, Kevin Kilbane, Kieron Freeman, Lee Croft, Lee Hendrie, Lee Johnson, Luke Moore, Michael Hoganson, Michael Jacobs, Michael Tonge, Nathan Tyson, Nicky Hunt, Paul Coutts, Paul Dickov, Richard Keogh, Russell Anderson, Ryan Noble, Saul Deeney, Shaun Barker, Shefki Kuqi, Tamás Priskin, Theo Robinson, Tom Carroll, Tom Naylor, Tomasz Cywka, Valentin Gjokaj... also Matt Duke, Seb Hines & Michael Boulding but none of those ever made an appearance for us.

The players he inherited from previous managers and our academy take it to 97 players used in his time as manager.

Andy Todd, Arnaud Mendy, Callum Ball, Dean Leacock, Emanuel Villa, Gary Teale, Giles Barnes, Greg Mills, James Severn, Jay McEveley, Jeff Hendrick, Jordan Stewart, Kris Commons, Lee Grant, Lewin Nyatanga, Luke Varney, Mark Dudley, Mark O'Brien, Martin Albrechtsen, Mason Bennett, Mile Sterjovski, Miles Addison, Mohammed Camara, Nacer Barazite, Nathan Ellington, Paul Connolly, Paul Green, Przemyslaw Kazmierczak, Rob Hulse, Robbie Savage, Ross Atkins, Roy Carroll, Ryan Connolly, Stephen Bywater, Stephen Pearson, Steve Davies, Will Hughes.

I'm not really making any massive point except maybe the old adage of "if you throw enough poo at the wall..." but that would ignore the situation we were in and how we usually had to take whatever we could get.

Edited by Coconut

6 minutes ago, Coconut said:

Adam Legzdins ok

Adam Smith poor

Alberto Bueno good

Barry Bannan meh

Ben Davies ok

Ben Pringle meh

Brad Jones poor (understandable though) 

Bryan Hughes poor

Chris Maguire poor

Chris Martin very good

Chris Porter meh

Conor Doyle poor

Conor Sammon poor

Craig Bryson very good

Craig Forsyth good

Daniel Ayala meh

Dave Martin (GK) poor

David Martin (LM) poor

Dean Moxey ok

DJ Campbell ok

Frank Fielding ok

Fredrik Stoor ok

Gareth Roberts ok

Gilles Sunu poor

Jake Buxton good

Jake Livermore terrible

James Bailey ok

James O'Connor poor

James Vaughan terrible

Jamie Ward good

Jason Shackell ok

Javan Vidal poor

John Brayford good

John Eustace good

Johnny Russell good

Kevin Kilbane poor

Kieron Freeman meh

Lee Croft poor

Lee Hendrie poor

Lee Johnson meh

Luke Moore poor

Michael Hoganson poor

Michael Jacobs meh

Michael Tonge ok

Nathan Tyson poor

Nicky Hunt poor

Paul Coutts ok

Paul Dickov ok

Richard Keogh very good

Russell Anderson ok

Ryan Noble terrible

Saul Deeney terrible

Shaun Barker good

Shefki Kuqi good

Tamás Priskin terrible

Theo Robinson ok

Tom Carroll meh

Tom Naylor meh

Tomasz Cywka ok

Valentin Gjokaj meh

How I rate his signings. 

15 hours ago, Abu Derby said:

Nigel should be given another chance and this time, financially backed. 
He knows his stuff, is very good at it, can spot a payer with potential a mile off, won’t stand for shirkers and is a thoroughly decent man. 
He could 100% do a very good job. 

I'm grateful for everything he did, but if Clough was really that good why has he still not managed outside league 1 since?