Previous managers

RamLad1884

5 hours ago, Chris_Martin said:

I'm grateful for everything he did, but if Clough was really that good why has he still not managed outside league 1 since?

Because he hasn’t been given the opportunity. When he gets Mansfield promotion, then a few offers may come in. It will be interesting to see how we match up with Mansfield when we eventually play them. 

Lampard for me, as much as I know a certain poster won’t agree. Plays good, attacking, exciting football - and is imo a good attacking coach. Gets the best out of forwards he works with, and God knows we need goals right now! Can attract good players to work with him as well. Was inexperienced and defensively naive previously at times, but he’s been in the game longer now, and I suspect will have learnt a lot. He strikes me as the sort of character that would want to improve himself. I’d be willing to give him another chance to redeem his reputation, might give us the boost we need as a club.

Just now, Millenniumram said:

Lampard for me, as much as I know a certain poster won’t agree. Plays good, attacking, exciting football - and is imo a good attacking coach. Gets the best out of forwards he works with, and God knows we need goals right now! Can attract good players to work with him as well. Was inexperienced and defensively naive previously at times, but he’s been in the game longer now, and I suspect will have learnt a lot. He strikes me as the sort of character that would want to improve himself. I’d be willing to give him another chance to redeem his reputation, might give us the boost we need as a club.

I was just starting to like you and then you come out with something like this...

i give up GIF

21 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

Time hasn't helped me to look favourably on Lampard's time here. He had 3 players a class above this level, in Mount's case an England and Champions League regular, and he scraped us into 6th on the final day. Personally I enjoyed his spell, but I don't think it'd have been pretty at all without the 3 loans.

4 minutes ago, Andicis said:

Time hasn't helped me to look favourably on Lampard's time here. He had 3 players a class above this level, in Mount's case an England and Champions League regular, and he scraped us into 6th on the final day. Personally I enjoyed his spell, but I don't think it'd have been pretty at all without the 3 loans.

I get that argument, but you can also make the point of how he improved those players. Tomori wasn’t a big name before he came here. And Lampard took Mount right to the top at Chelsea too. It shows he’s a good coach imo, even if he was gifted with talented players.

1 minute ago, Millenniumram said:

I get that argument, but you can also make the point of how he improved those players. Tomori wasn’t a big name before he came here. And Lampard took Mount right to the top at Chelsea too. It shows he’s a good coach imo, even if he was gifted with talented players.

Tomori wasn't a big name, but Jody Morris watched him train every day. Did Lampard take Mount to the top? Or was that Mount's talent? I genuinely just believe that he scraped by with players far too good, and really with players like Mount at the club he should have achieved more. 

12 hours ago, Andicis said:

Tomori wasn't a big name, but Jody Morris watched him train every day. Did Lampard take Mount to the top? Or was that Mount's talent? I genuinely just believe that he scraped by with players far too good, and really with players like Mount at the club he should have achieved more. 

But you say all that with the benefit of hindsight. Nobody was complaining at the time, everyone was lauding him for what a job he did and how he overachieved. People's opinions changed when he decided to leave and the following two seasons played out. 

13 hours ago, Andicis said:

He also left us a gaping chasm right through our team that we were unable to fill. You might blame Cocu, and even Rooney, for not filling the gaps but passing on a team to Cocu that was without three of it's four or five best players from the season before was a bit of a hospital pass.

40 minutes ago, BaaLocks said:

He also left us a gaping chasm right through our team that we were unable to fill. You might blame Cocu, and even Rooney, for not filling the gaps but passing on a team to Cocu that was without three of it's four or five best players from the season before was a bit of a hospital pass.

We actually lost six of our starting XI (including our entire midfield and both centre-halves) from 18/19 by October ‘19.

1 hour ago, Rammy03 said:

But you say all that with the benefit of hindsight. Nobody was complaining at the time, everyone was lauding him for what a job he did and how he overachieved. People's opinions changed when he decided to leave and the following two seasons played out. 

Him leaving didn't change my opinion on the matter. Me seeing what good players he actually had at his disposal and what he got out of them did. 

I know it's easy to say Lampard underachieved, as "look at the squad he had, 3 amazing loanees and still didn't go up" but have the past 2 seasons shown us that maybe the squad isn't as good as we thought and the 3 loanees papered over the cracks of how bad the squad was?