Previous managers

RamLad1884

If we could choose any of our previous managers that are still in the game to come back who would people go with? 

Mac 3 would be the obvious option but maybe only papering over cracks. Personally I'd have (Nigel) Clough back with a Director of Football.

Clough was a very decent coach and did well with what he had, perhaps needed a little more assistance when it came to recruitment with money to spend. 

1 minute ago, RamLad1884 said:

If we could choose any of our previous managers that are still in the game to come back who would people go with? 

Mac 3 would be the obvious option but maybe only papering over cracks. Personally I'd have (Nigel) Clough back with a Director of Football.

Clough was a very decent coach and did well with what he had, perhaps needed a little more assistance when it came to recruitment with money to spend. 

I'd do it the other way round, have Nigel as DOF, with a good coach.

All this hankering after Clough if he's that good where is he now, he's not taken his chances has he? Mac has given coaching/management up for technical direction stuff, but a no there too.

Well what the hell, is George Burley still managing! ?

Need new ideas.

People wouldn't have patience with Clough involved I don't think, he is a slow burner. Personally I think he did a great job and would be happy to see him back.

Mac of course is the obvious option, Burley seems to have retired but is young enough to be involved,  would like to see him back.

Igor never managed us but as an ex player I'm including him on the list I'd like to see.

6 minutes ago, MrPlinkett said:

People wouldn't have patience with Clough involved I don't think, he is a slow burner. Personally I think he did a great job and would be happy to see him back.

Mac of course is the obvious option, Burley seems to have retired but is young enough to be involved,  would like to see him back.

Igor never managed us but as an ex player I'm including him on the list I'd like to see.

Sorry, but in my book, being an ex player counts for very little to nothing when it comes to management/coaching staff especially when it comes to one who played for us over 20 years ago. No room for sentiment I’m afraid.

7 minutes ago, MrPlinkett said:

Why, his managerial record is pretty atrocious.......maybe the snake for a couple of seasons just to get us solid and back on track, like he is doing at Millwall, or if not obviously Steve Mac. A Steve Mac/Wassall partnership might be an option....

2 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

I'd have had Clough in as interim for the last half of the season. 

It wouldn't have been particularly exciting but he'd been getting this group of players performing to a solid workmanlike standard rather than the trash Rooney is serving up 

You'd have soon been on his back for telling some of the players to go back where they came from! ?

7 hours ago, RamLad1884 said:

Are you really saying Clough's recruitment was poor?

Grant, Brayford, Keogh, Barker, Shackell (1st time), Buxton, Forsyth, Eustace, Coutts, Bryson, Ward, Russell, Martin, etc...

Is it because he wasted £400k on Maguite and £1.2m on Sammon? Keogh, Barker and Shackell all.cost over £1m and I'd say all three were top signings for the Championship.

I sent think we've had many managers with a transfer record as good as Clough.

1 hour ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Are you really saying Clough's recruitment was poor?

Grant, Brayford, Keogh, Barker, Shackell (1st time), Buxton, Forsyth, Eustace, Coutts, Bryson, Ward, Russell, Martin, etc...

Is it because he wasted £400k on Maguite and £1.2m on Sammon? Keogh, Barker and Shackell all.cost over £1m and I'd say all three were top signings for the Championship.

I sent think we've had many managers with a transfer record as good as Clough.

Sorry it may not have been clear from my statement, Clough's recruitment for frees/nominal fees was excellent. 

Where he failed was with the bigger money... Sammon, Maguire, Fielding and Bailey come to mind. 

I fear he wouldn't know what to do if we gave him £5mill to spend on a player for instance. 

If a thread ever shows the fickle nature of football fans then this is it....

I’m not saying any of you guys held this opinion but Nigel received so much stick when he was a manager and since! It’s only in recent times I think people now realise what a great job he did at Derby in difficult circumstances. I agree re his recruitment record- it was brilliant. Some absolute bargains and built a real team spirit. 

Maybe what we’ve had since with all the money that has been wasted has made many realise....

I used to like the idea of Clough scouting for players and Mac coaching them. Look what Steve did with the last squad Nigel built.