Realistic Manager Alternatives

DCFC Kicks

18 minutes ago, Arsene Titman said:

Just watched the entire video- Ian Evatt is very impressive. I’d like to see him at Derby and he’d snap our hand off.

Probably Arsene. But how long is his deal at Bolton and would they want compensated for him ? It’s well documented we’re stoney broke. ?

1 hour ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

No but It should give a base point of expectation though. You have an expectation we should be challenging to go up. Obviously you have a base point of expectation  then .   

I do but that’s because of very recent history which affects present day. I don’t expect to be challenging because we won the league before I was born for example

11 minutes ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

I think we should be thinking aging and unfasionable in our manager search.

Alan Curbishly.

If we are going down that route, we need someone who has managed in the last 3-5 years. Curbishley been out of the game far too long. Someone who commands respect and plays the right way, Mark Hughes maybe? Achieved more than Curbishley as a manager and every bit as entertaining.

45 minutes ago, MuespachRam said:

Why should we be anywhere near that..? We have been in the top division once since god was a boy and we all know what happened then. 
Mae are the very definition on of a championship side. 

I must have dreamed those cox and smith sides then. That one season in 07 was one of 60-70 we’ve had there

38 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

If we are going down that route, we need someone who has managed in the last 3-5 years. Curbishley been out of the game far too long. Someone who commands respect and plays the right way, Mark Hughes maybe? Achieved more than Curbishley as a manager and every bit as entertaining.

Hughes, not for me...

The highest paid Championship manager among those who responded is paid £3.46million a year — £66,538 a week, with an average across the division of £878,000 a year. One assistant manager, meanwhile, receives a whopping £812,496 (£15,625).

Those numbers also plummet beneath the second tier, with the average League One manager paid £182,438 — although one at a southern third-tier club landed £550,000.

As reported in 2020 ...

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-8262315/amp/Physios-191-000-kit-men-56-000-Crazy-wages-dont-add-EFL-clubs-brink.html

Wayne rooney is reportedly on 90k per week.

Obviously, then even if Derby were to be relegated there's slim chance that there would be no decent applications for the role.

I doubt any new owner that paid 50 million to buy the club, will want a lower league manager at the helm.

1 hour ago, Pearl Ram said:

Probably Arsene. But how long is his deal at Bolton and would they want compensated for him ? It’s well documented we’re stoney broke. ?

He signed a 3 year deal upon taking over at Bolton last summer. So 2 years worth of compensation for both Bolton & Rooney if we went down that road.

Evatt's unlikely to be on large wages though & given he's an ambitious type, the hope would be there's a release clause for a bigger job

6 hours ago, LeedsCityRam said:

I think you'd enjoy watching his teams too Roy. Caught up with Bolton's game over Easter & they play good one touch stuff but with purpose. Very solid at the back too, they've won 3 games 0-1 in the past month away at fellow top 6 sides.

After yesterday, Bolton need one win from their last 2 games to return to League One. Can imagine there's a few clubs top end of League One/bottom half of Championship keeping tabs on Evatt.

The more I hear of Evatt, from Evatt and see how his teams play I can't help but feel he's really worth taking a shot on and ticks a lot of boxes. All of the following seems true about:

• Wants to play attractive attacking football and is doing it at a level notoriously which is not that
  • Young, upcoming manager but has experience
  • Has taken or looks like taking up both teams he's been in charge of 
  • (Going off the rams interview) seems to recognise the value of a good academy
  • Comes across as somebody who carries themselves with integrity 
  • Seems to genuinely want to come here

It's hard to not look at him as somebody who would be a cracking fit.

4 minutes ago, brady1993 said:

The more I hear of Evatt, from Evatt and see how his teams play I can't help but feel he's really worth taking a shot on and ticks a lot of boxes. All of the following seems true about:

• Wants to play attractive attacking football and is doing it at a level notoriously which is not that
  • Young, upcoming manager but has experience
  • Has taken or looks like taking up both teams he's been in charge of 
  • (Going off the rams interview) seems to recognise the value of a good academy
  • Comes across as somebody who carries themselves with integrity 
  • Seems to genuinely want to come here

It's hard to not look at him as somebody who would be a cracking fit.

Looking at his track record to date, his playing ethos, his honest style & his connections to our club, Evatt strikes me very much as a Derby version of Chris Wilder. Before Sheffield Utd hired him (in League One at the time), Wilder had been developing a very good reputation at Halifax, Oxford & then Northampton - experience which he used to great effect at his boyhood club.

I'm also a big believer in catching talent on the way up - whether they be players or managers. Find it really lazy just looking at big names/someone who has had success in the top 2 divisions & automatically assuming that success will translate well here at Derby. Hiring Evatt would mark a substantial change in mindset from 'lets see who has been successful & try and copy that' to 'who is the next big managerial talent' - it would be the smart call.

2 minutes ago, IslandExile said:

Everyone stop now. You're all getting over-excited with the idea of Evatt.

You're only setting yourselves up for disappointment.

We're stuck with Rooney. He won't walk and we can't afford to fire him.

Can’t be great for Wazza knowing he is only still in the job for that reason ?

9 minutes ago, LeedsCityRam said:

Looking at his track record to date, his playing ethos, his honest style & his connections to our club, Evatt strikes me very much as a Derby version of Chris Wilder. Before Sheffield Utd hired him (in League One at the time), Wilder had been developing a very good reputation at Halifax, Oxford & then Northampton - experience which he used to great effect at his boyhood club.

I'm also a big believer in catching talent on the way up - whether they be players or managers. Find it really lazy just looking at big names/someone who has had success in the top 2 divisions & automatically assuming that success will translate well here at Derby. Hiring Evatt would mark a substantial change in mindset from 'lets see who has been successful & try and copy that' to 'who is the next big managerial talent' - it would be the smart call.

Completely agree with everything you've said, just wanted to tack something on to the highlighted. I'd say that not only have we had the mindset you've said we've done it with zero thought as to why they've been successful or how that can be adapted to the club. They are the obvious example but if you look at how Brentford operate it's completely within this purview; they catch players and managers on the rise who fit how the club plays and then sell them on, using the funds to progress. It's why they've been steadily rising it up the league, year after year despite every year selling off a top player or two or losing their manager.