Realistic Manager Alternatives

DCFC Kicks

4 minutes ago, Eaststander7 said:

Well it’s all about opinion - that’s the beauty of football... 

but with that squad - I remember Martin was out which was a huge loss - but we should have been able to cope 

Would be interesting to see how he’d do with no cash. Don’t forget the 13/14 team was Nigel clough’s plus bamford, Thorne, wisdom etc 

A squad that cost virtually nothing to build and was going nowhere until Mac took over...that's the benefit of having a great coach in charge.

Edited by kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong

7 minutes ago, Eaststander7 said:

So we slipped down the table as he wouldn’t rule it out. We sacked and him Jesus wept guess where he ended up?!! 

There was an endless round of "Have you turned Newcastle down?" "I have a job at Derby" exchanges is how I remember it. His answers were always open enough to interpretation and never quite "that door is closed" - some choose to believe he totally squashed them, others (myself included) felt he was making sure his chance at Newcastle was still gonna be there.

Ultimatly though, it's one factor and injuries were probably the bigger one.

2 minutes ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

A squad that cost virtually nothing to build and was going nowhere until Mac took over...that's the benefit of having a great coach in charge.

The cost was the 4 and a half years of lower to mid table mediocrity it took to assemble.

Good a coach as he has been, I wouldn't trust McClaren to be able to build a team from scratch on a low budget, or any budget tbh.

5 minutes ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

I’m not disagreeing - Mac put the spark in that team. But clough put it together - not Mac - as you say for next to nothing 

15 minutes ago, Eaststander7 said:

Well it’s all about opinion - that’s the beauty of football... 

but with that squad - I remember Martin was out which was a huge loss - but we should have been able to cope 

Would be interesting to see how he’d do with no cash. Don’t forget the 13/14 team was Nigel clough’s plus bamford, Thorne, wisdom etc 

It was way more than just Martin, the equivalent of 6 Martins throughout the team were all out. As you say, we will just have to agree to disagree. Talking of rumours though, I wonder if the Spuds and Celtic links with Wazza have contributed to our awful slump in form ????

For L1, Paul Simpson with Mcclaren *properly* involved.

A good guy. Bide some time in what’s expected to be a dark period.

Good manager/coach too.