Realistic Manager Alternatives

DCFC Kicks

12 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Sounds useful. My memory ain't so good, why did he leave Derby?

He was one of a large number of players that got released after the first season post-relegation from the Premier League. I think it was just a case of a young player not quite making it here, but then making a career for himself elsewhere. He did a "RamsTV Meets" earlier in the year, so he still seems on good terms with the club.

16 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

He came across as a great bloke on the rams tv meets a few months ago, said he'd love to return to Derby one day, from memory he was promised a new contract by John Gregory but then got injured and was released at the end of the season much to his disappointment. Went on to have a decent career and ultimately won a promotion to the top flight with Blackpool, so We should have kept him around as it turned out.

Edited by Carnero

36 minutes ago, TheresOnlyWanChope said:

There are loads of teams with good history, this won’t equate league position

No but It should give a base point of expectation though. You have an expectation we should be challenging to go up. Obviously you have a base point of expectation  then .   

6 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Believe he was told by Burley his first team chances were limited. Maybe wasnt technically at the level George demanded because he was always good in the air. He'd played a lot the first season we came down from the Prem (2002/03) under Gregory but then dropped down the divisions to play regularly.

Obviously improved later in his career to start as CB in Blackpool's promotion team & Prem campaign in 09/10

Still very fond of Derby though as the Ramstv interview with him in February shows. Quite surprising to see a manager of another club speaking so candidly about his affection for the club & desire to return one day.

5 minutes ago, JfR said:

He was one of a large number of players that got released after the first season post-relegation from the Premier League. I think it was just a case of a young player not quite making it here, but then making a career for himself elsewhere.

Ta.

4 minutes ago, Carnero said:

Went on to have a decent career and ultimately won a promotion to the top flight with Blackpool, so We should have kept him around as it turned out.

Yeah, I remember seeing bits of 'the decent career somewhere else' but couldn't remember why he'd left. 

1 minute ago, LeedsCityRam said:

Believe he was told by Burley his first team chances were limited. Maybe wasn't technically at the level George demanded because he was always good in the air. He'd played a lot the first season we came down from the Prem (2002/03) under Gregory but then dropped down the divisions to play regularly.

Ta. Always thought he was okay with his feet, but yeah better in the air.

2 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Ta. Always thought he was okay with his feet, but yeah better in the air.

If I remember correctly, he played a lot in midfield here as well, and it was only after he left that he started playing frequently as a centre-back, which proved to be his best position.

Just now, JfR said:

If I remember correctly, he played a lot in midfield here as well, and it was only after he left that he started playing frequently as a centre-back, which proved to be his best position.

I think you're correct (not doubting you), I do remember some midfield play, but was it through necessity rather than choice. 

3 minutes ago, JfR said:

I seem to remember him being a CB/CDM on champ manager so you must be right ?

I think Ian Evatt would be a fantastic shout. Proven record in lower leagues, he knows this club inside out, this would be his dream job. I could definitely get behind this. 

As to those questioning we’re not a big club, when we are doing well we have 30000 plus attendances - about 13th or 14th in the country. If we were relegated to league 1 we’d have average attendance of around 20-22k. Who has that apart from Sunderland. We’ve spent all but 5 seasons in the top 2 divisions, never been in the bottom division.

We are a big club, we are the same size of club to Leicester they just have a rich owner and they timed things right with when they broke FFP rules and when the money really started to roll into the premier league. If QPR game had been different, we would have gone into the premier league with a talented squad and with Mel ready to splash the cash as well as premier league riches. What could we have achieved? We were so close.

Things are not great at the moment but a club of our stature will always find its rightful place in the pyramid. Unfortunately that might not be the premier league as with the money influx we’ve seen in the past 10 years, we could not have picked a worse time to have our bad period. Maybe we could be a premier league yo-yo club? 

If the worst happens and we do go down, it might be a couple of years but we will come back. But it’s a chance for a complete reset for the club, a reset of expectations and a chance for the club to build a connection with the fans again, and when we come back the highs will feel even better because of what we’ve gone through and we’ll feel proud of our club again. It might take time but we’ll get there.

The past 10 years have been poo, the next 10 years I think will be enjoyable however bad it feels now.

COYR! 

11 minutes ago, BramcoteRam84 said:

and with Mel ready to splash the cash as well as premier league riches. What could we have achieved? We were so close.

Lol. We've seen how well Mel splashed the cash, I can't bare to think what would have happened to us if he'd splashed Prem size fees and wages!

45 minutes ago, Carnero said:

He came across as a great bloke on the rams tv meets a few months ago, said he'd love to return to Derby one day, from memory he was promised a new contract by John Gregory but then got injured and was released at the end of the season much to his disappointment. Went on to have a decent career and ultimately won a promotion to the top flight with Blackpool, so We should have kept him around as it turned out.

Thanks for posting the interview. On the evidence of that I'd have him here in a heartbeat. Approaches the game in the right way, wants his teams to play attractive attacking football and relishes a challenge. Sounds like he'd be open to the idea of coming back here as well, such is his attachment to the club. Fantastic bloke. ?

50 minutes ago, Carnero said:

Just watched the entire video- Ian Evatt is very impressive. I’d like to see him at Derby and he’d snap our hand off.

2 hours ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

How would you define the space between big club and mid table championship club. Quite large for me. My opinion is we are a club that should be having regular finishes at mid table prem level with occasional dalliance with a europa league challenge. That doesn’t necessarily mean we’re a massive club but Were  in the top 20 clubs in the country with fair chunks in the top 6 or 7 historically.  

Why should we be anywhere near that..? We have been in the top division once since god was a boy and we all know what happened then. 
Mae are the very definition on of a championship side.