Champions League Reforms and The Super League

Van der MoodHoover

The funniest thing about this is the fact the the actual president of Real Madrid doesn't know the difference between binding and non-binding agreements. 

This was Perez 24 hours ago, "The contract of the Super League is binding. Nobody can leave. We will work all together. All the clubs signed the contracts last Saturday, there's no problem.”.

Edited by JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta

Good news but to be honest...apart from one or two different teams, the Europa and "Champions" league are not much different to the Super league. As a neutral I cannot recall the last game I watched outside of the semi final or final.

1 minute ago, TimRam said:

Good news but to be honest...apart from one or two different teams, the Europa and "Champions" league are not much different to the Super league. As a neutral I cannot recall the last game I watched outside of the semi final or final.

This drama has let that slip under the radar a bit. I would actually like to know how the new champions league format is any different, in terms of the guaranteed places for elite clubs. Who have they defined as elite clubs?

Just woke up to this news, it’s great, but I find the whole thing a little bit bizarre to be honest.

Why not consult the fans before it ever got this far? Or was it the fan reaction, part of me believes it was the threat of new government laws that saw the clubs withdraw and this Super League idea isn’t over. 

I suspect we’ll see plans of a new open to qualifying European Cup to replace the Champions League which is controlled by the big clubs and distribute the prize money taking it out of UEFA’s hands.

This is far from being over.

Brilliant, football has been saved!!!!!

Status quo has been achieved where 93% (I think that's what Simon Jordan said yesterday) of English football's wealth goes to the Premier league. 

And Uefa have played hard ball and shown true leadership. 

That's the same Uefa that lays down the red carpet for 4th place in the EPL to waltz into the champions league when the champions of Turkey/ Austria / Holland / Belgium / Scotland / Russia / Ukraine etc have to take part in a qualifying tournament.

To quote Gary Neville: "Joke"

44 minutes ago, David said:

Just woke up to this news, it’s great, but I find the whole thing a little bit bizarre to be honest.

Why not consult the fans before it ever got this far? Or was it the fan reaction, part of me believes it was the threat of new government laws that saw the clubs withdraw and this Super League idea isn’t over. 

I suspect we’ll see plans of a new open to qualifying European Cup to replace the Champions League which is controlled by the big clubs and distribute the prize money taking it out of UEFA’s hands.

This is far from being over.

I think the point about legislation might be significant. They must've known fans would hate it and probably thought they'd just go through that because they'd sit down and shut up once it was happening.

Yesterday afternoon during a press conference Pep Guardiola revealed he was only told about the breakaway a few hours before City were announced as a “Founding Member” of the ESL.

“Sport is not a sport when the relation between effort and reward doesn’t exist,” said Guardiola. “It is not a sport. It is not a sport when success is already guaranteed. It is not a sport when it doesn’t matter if you lose.”

“And it is not fair when one team fights and fights to arrive at the top and cannot qualify because success is already guaranteed for just a few clubs.” 

Guardiola looked like he was ready to walk away from City, and at that point the  “Superleague” in England was dead.

Guardiola has gone up in my estimation..........well done Pep!

The one positive to come from this is that Chelsea fans have (in the main) gone up in my estimation.

They are not all members of the "Ice Cream Crew" whom nobody loves.

Man U supporters are not prepared to walk on hot coals to watch 'their' team.

The Kop would mourn the death of their team and some might even cross Stanley Park.

Who knows? Some of these clubs may just start to appreciate their fans!

This fiasco also heightens the status of clubs at all levels.

Maybe even League One Derby County?

20 minutes ago, Old Spalding Ram said:

Yesterday afternoon during a press conference Pep Guardiola revealed he was only told about the breakaway a few hours before City were announced as a “Founding Member” of the ESL.....

If you believe Klopp (which I'm not always inclined to do), he only found out when the official announcement was made......though looking at the pathetic statement from Liverpool, I wouldn't be surprised.....

I do wonder if the greedy owners appreciate how much damage they've done to their carefully cultivated brands - the majority of their fans will quickly forgive them and flock back, but I suspect the rest of football will despise them for quite some time. There have already been calls for them to be punished even though they've dropped the plans and the ESL are talking of a re-think, but not scrapping the concept....

If the other 14 Premier League clubs have any sense they'll vote through a rule change that means the instant expulsion of any club(s) that join a future Super League, or any other closed competition set up for the enrichment of a self-selecting cartel.

3 hours ago, TigerTedd said:

This drama has let that slip under the radar a bit. I would actually like to know how the new champions league format is any different, in terms of the guaranteed places for elite clubs. Who have they defined as elite clubs?

I get what you're saying, but the 'guaranteed places' are for those with the highest coefficients - over time those clubs change. The Super League ensure the same 15 teams would be there every year.