Champions League Reforms and The Super League

Van der MoodHoover

13 minutes ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

These clubs need to be saved from their owners

Bang on. I'm not a fan of the 'kick them out of domestic football' argument because these are proud clubs with strong traditions, regardless of who owns them. And English football is worse off without them.

Manchester United Football Club aren't the problem. Joel Glazer is the problem.

9 minutes ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

Bang on. I'm not a fan of the 'kick them out of domestic football' argument because these are proud clubs with strong traditions, regardless of who owns them. And English football is worse off without them.

FCUM or whatever they called themselves are the answer there. This has been in the post since the Prem was set up. Time to stamp on it.

14 minutes ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

I agree, but what alternative will we have? If these club owners are intent on putting the entire English football league pyramid at risk then their history and traditions might have to end up as collateral damage to preserve the history and traditions of the other 86 clubs. 

Edited by JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta

15 hours ago, Gaspode said:

Hard to say congratulations to Leeds, but they’ve been great tonight - they put T-shirts in the Liverpool dressing room with “Champions League EARN IT” on the front and “FOOTBALL IS FOR THE FANS” on the back. Liverpool and Klipperty annoyed and Leeds players all running out wearing the shirts.....?

Yes, I thought providing T-shirts for Liverpool was a nice touch as well.

On a more serious note, I wonder how many of the owners and chairmen of clubs not invited would have objected if they’d been included themselves.

I don’t know the full story but I’m assuming the big German and French clubs invited must have declined. They are the one’s that should be applauded.

2 minutes ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

I agree, but what alternative will we have? If these club owners are intent on putting the entire English football league pyramid at risk then their history and traditions might have to end up as collateral damage to preserve the history and traditions of the other 86 clubs. 

Fair point. I don't have the answer to that.

On a hunch though, I think the only ones capable of putting a stop to it will either be the national governments or the players. The former because they could create legal implications, and the latter because they're the product. Nobody across the world will care about Man United they consist of b-side players or retirees. 

If the players have integrity and a backbone, they could put a stop to this. Time for some good old-fashioned collective action, in my opinion.

19 hours ago, ramsbottom said:

NFL/NBA owners don't give a rat's arse about finishing last cus they make billions a year from merch & TV rights.  Sporting success will be way down their list of priorities...

They also have the comfort of knowing, however badly they do, they’ll still be back competing next year.

I like the NFL but wasn’t there a season when Cleveland didn’t win a game all season? In a normal pyramid league system they would have been relegated and then, possibly, relegated again depending on the quality of the division below.

Not too keen on being all nicey nicey to the clubs considering backing out of the SL either. Yes, I don't want them out of the domestic game, but we have to make it very clear that this sort of thing won't be tolerated again. A strong message needs to be sent, and action needs to be taken to ensure it doesn't happen again.

Edited by DarkFruitsRam7

1 hour ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

The problem is clubs like Leicester, Everton, West Ham, Newcastle, Villa etc don't want to cut their cloth accordingly in a more equal landscape, so any thought that we can cut the big six off and make some sort of competitive utopia without them is a non-starter, at least that's how I see it.

The current Premier League clubs are interested in one thing at this point, and that is preserving their slice of the pie and making sure that the pie doesn't get smaller. That's it. They do not care a single iota for the impact this will have on the pyramid below them, they care about the impact this will have on them specifically.

I'd be quite happy to see the six clubs booted out of domestic competition and left to fend for themselves, push six clubs up from the second tier and even out the numbers across the tiers below. The problem is that the 14 Premier League clubs left in the lurch here wont go for it, at least I don't think they will.

The PL TV deal may decrease but they'd get more for playing in the Champions League?

13 minutes ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

Not too keen on being all nicey nicey to the clubs considering backing out of the SL either. Yes, I don't want them out of the domestic game, but we have to make it very clear that this sort of thing won't be tolerated again. A strong message needs to be sent, and action needs to be taken to ensure it doesn't happen again.

Although I agree with you entirely, they will probably be rewarded as saviours of the Premier League.

If they really want to do something like this, can’t they just organise summer tournaments between themselves? They’ve been doing these friendly tours for a while now, so they could simply organise a 2 week knock out competition in summers when there’s not an international tournament. You’d get all the same advantages of marketable matches between big European clubs. But it wouldn’t interfere with anything and would essentially be part of the pre season warm up. Have a nice trophy at the end, call it the Europe invitational or something. 

24 minutes ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

Absolutely.

It could be that some of them were anticipating the widespread outrage, suspected it wouldn’t go ahead but knew they could use the threat as a bargaining tool to get a better deal for themselves which, IMO, would be as bad.

I can’t see if happening but I’d rather their bluff was called they were told to just bugger off. 

The words of Neville and Carragher et. al are complete crap as well.

Happily taking a massive wedge off Sky Sports who before this all blew up, were one of the biggest culprits in the destruction of the English game. The same Gary Neville who actively participated in financial doping in the lower leagues.

Men of the people like Gordon Taylor, Gianni Infantino, Aleksandr Ceferin being rolled out with the "this game is for the fans and this goes against everything we believe in" message, when they are as guilty as any of the shysters in charge of the 12 clubs involved in selling the game down the river.

All on moralistic high horses now their interests and those of their paymasters are threatened. 

Either you have morals and don't take the Yankee Dollar or you are part of the problem and become rich. Make a choice and stand by it, but don't pretend to be on the side you're not. Almost got more respect for the likes of Perez and Agnelli - at least they know they're the bad guys and don't care who else knows it.

4 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

It could be that some of them were anticipating the widespread outrage, suspected it wouldn’t go ahead but knew they could use the threat as a bargaining tool to get a better deal for themselves which, IMO, would be as bad.

Exactly this. People have called UEFA hypocrites for the new Champions League proposals, but that's because they've been strong-armed by the big clubs into appeasing them. If I were UEFA, I'd tear the new proposals up and tell them they've ducked their chances of appeasement by proposing the Super League. Obviously the Super League would have to fail for this to work though.

19 minutes ago, JoetheRam said:

The words of Neville and Carragher et. al are complete crap as well.

Happily taking a massive wedge off Sky Sports who before this all blew up, were one of the biggest culprits in the destruction of the English game. The same Gary Neville who actively participated in financial doping in the lower leagues.

Men of the people like Gordon Taylor, Gianni Infantino, Aleksandr Ceferin being rolled out with the "this game is for the fans and this goes against everything we believe in" message, when they are as guilty as any of the shysters in charge of the 12 clubs involved in selling the game down the river.

All on moralistic high horses now their interests and those of their paymasters are threatened. 

Either you have morals and don't take the Yankee Dollar or you are part of the problem and become rich. Make a choice and stand by it, but don't pretend to be on the side you're not. Almost got more respect for the likes of Perez and Agnelli - at least they know they're the bad guys and don't care who else knows it.

The words aren't crap. They are bang on. Not liking the messenger does not affect the message