Champions League Reforms and The Super League

Van der MoodHoover

18 hours ago, MuespachRam said:

Did they worry about punishing people who had no say in it when they banned Derby County Football Club from European competitions because of the Liverpool fans murdering 39 Juve fans..?

They should at least dock them 50 points or better still kick them all out of the league.

kicking them out is a bit strong but 50 point penalty every season seems fair to me?

18 hours ago, MuespachRam said:

Did they worry about punishing people who had no say in it when they banned Derby County Football Club from European competitions because of the Liverpool fans murdering 39 Juve fans..?

They should at least dock them 50 points or better still kick them all out of the league.

Muespach,

I agree it's a difficult one, and when a minority is at fault it always seems unfair that the majority get punished.   How are they going to punish the so-called Big 6? Heaven knows, and what I posted was just my opinion.  The fans always suffer when the suits mess up, the fans suffer when hooliganism causes problems.  What is needed is punishment that hits the ones who made the decision to try and destroy the football pyramid, rather than the fans of whom (from what I've read), the vast majority didnt want it. 

51 minutes ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

Only if it's supported by both SPFL and EFL fans. I don't care if it would improve the English leagues tenfold; if it isn't wanted by the fans over there then I wouldn't support it. And the same goes if lower league clubs in England are mostly against it.

If there's anything we've learned over the last few days, you don't piss about with the footballing pyramid at the expense of the fans.

Good point, well made. 

I wonder how much impact sponsors of these clubs had. They all stayed pretty quiet during the storm but I'm guessing behind the scenes they really got active when they saw which way the wind was blowing.

In terms of punishment I'd put a ban in place of 2 years of no European competition, each occasion to apply when you actually would qualify through league position. UEFA could do that.

Rangers/Celtic is a non starter, for reasons many have stated. I'm not sure how well they would do anyway, they are not exactly  leading lights in European competiton when they meet reasonably good sides. Mid table here at best.

12 minutes ago, FindernRam said:

I wonder how much impact sponsors of these clubs had. They all stayed pretty quiet during the storm but I'm guessing behind the scenes they really got active when they saw which way the wind was blowing.

In terms of punishment I'd put a ban in place of 2 years of no European competition, each occasion to apply when you actually would qualify through league position. UEFA could do that.

Rangers/Celtic is a non starter, for reasons many have stated. I'm not sure how well they would do anyway, they are not exactly  leading lights in European competiton when they meet reasonably good sides. Mid table here at best.

The argument with Celtic/Rangers is always based on "what could clubs with that level of support/brand recognition do with the access to the riches in English football" and not based on the team they can each currently put out - so it's all hypothetical.

The merging of Scottish and English leagues is a non- starter for all sorts of reasons

- It increases travelling/hotel costs for clubs when most of them are already struggling financially, with little extra revenue coming in the further down the pyramid you go

- Most fans aren't going to be that enthused about it. Are Southend supporters crying out for the opportunity to play Queen of the South on a regular basis?

- It risks a backlash from FIFA, who have made noises in the past about the UK having four separate international teams

- If it's just the Old Firm, why should they waltz into the Premier League? To me that's no different to the ESL only having 'big clubs' as permanent members; membership of a league shouldn't be based on a club's size or status. And what does it say to Championship clubs who might spend millions on trying to gain promotion, only for Rangers and Celtic to leap frog them? If the Old Firm want to join the Premier League they can start at the bottom, playing Torquay Utd and Solihull Moors, and work their way up through the leagues like everyone else.

Haven't gone through 50 pages so sorry if it has been mentioned before but think all 6 teams should be banned from European football for 3 years. This will test whether they really are sorry about what has happened and possibly show their hands as to what they really want to do. I expect they will go their own way. Money always talks.

I think the vast majority of fans in this country want to see some sort of punishment meted out to further underline the anger their actions have brought about in all sections of the footballing community. Unfortunately, other than accepting a slap on the wrist, the owners of these clubs are so arrogant that they would employ the most vigorous opposition through the law courts and fight tooth and nail against any sanctions which could affect their earning potential.

It's the fans of these clubs I feel really sorry for.

3 hours ago, Gaspode said:

ESL chief Florentino Perez reckoned that the English clubs all signed binding contracts to join his league and that they can’t simply walk away - don’t think this issue is going away any time soon.....

I hope not. Kick them out of the premier league and other European competitions. 

With Watford and Norwich going up (and potentially Bournemouth) this has saved the Premier League almost 100 million...guess what they are doing with It..?. Sharing It out amongst loads of the smaller non league teams who are struggling to make ends meet, helping out clubs who have had to furlough behind the scenes staff, pumping It into grass roots football, using It to increase the profile of the women’s game....?... 

OR

sharing It out amongst themselves.? The greedy pieces of dog excrements 

10 hours ago, MuespachRam said:

With Watford and Norwich going up (and potentially Bournemouth) this has saved the Premier League almost 100 million...guess what they are doing with It..?. Sharing It out amongst loads of the smaller non league teams who are struggling to make ends meet, helping out clubs who have had to furlough behind the scenes staff, pumping It into grass roots football, using It to increase the profile of the women’s game....?... 

OR

sharing It out amongst themselves.? The greedy pieces of dog excrements 

Stop making me agree with you.

Hey they're already kindly sharing the sky and BT money with nobodies like Villa and West Ham.

I feel bad for them it doesn't seem fair that we all tune in to watch Spurs twice a week but then a small club like Villa get some of that pie. No wonder they signed up to the super league. 

This weekend I'll be watching whoever Arsenal are playing. Hopefully is not some average midtable side.