Champions League Reforms and The Super League

Van der MoodHoover

Such a beautiful statement: "Liverpool Football Club can confirm that our involvement in proposed plans to form a European Super League has been discontinued. In recent days, the club has received representations from various key stakeholders, both internally and externally, and we would like to thank them for their valuable contributions."

7 minutes ago, Andicis said:

Unfortunately I'm not so sure.

The reasons for leaving the super league seem just as murky as the ones for joining.

We'll have to see whether that's true or not. 

Either way, I'm heartened by the reaction of the football world over the last few days. I've never seen us so united.

8 minutes ago, ariotofmyown said:

Such a beautiful statement: "Liverpool Football Club can confirm that our involvement in proposed plans to form a European Super League has been discontinued. In recent days, the club has received representations from various key stakeholders, both internally and externally, and we would like to thank them for their valuable contributions."

Assume this is the politest way they could phrase "we had so many turds arrive in the post....................................."

10 minutes ago, ariotofmyown said:

Does this mean that if the sheikh offers Henry 2bn again for Liverpool, this time he will take it ?

I'm amazed. Amazed at the sheer incompetence of the directors of the would be breakaway clubs. I'd assumed that they would at least have calculated this level of backlash and were prepared to ride the storm. To fold so quickly after the idea went public means that they had no idea how negative the reception would be. These are people who are paid hundreds of thousands, some millions, per year based on their knowledge of football markets. How were they so surprised by the reaction? "Oh no! We never could've envisaged that UEFA would use their institutional power to protect their incredibly profitable cup competition."

8 minutes ago, Anon said:

I'm amazed. Amazed at the sheer incompetence of the directors of the would be breakaway clubs. I'd assumed that they would at least have calculated this level of backlash and were prepared to ride the storm. To fold so quickly after the idea went public means that they had no idea how negative the reception would be. These are people who are paid hundreds of thousands, some millions, per year based on their knowledge of football markets. How were they so surprised by the reaction? "Oh no! We never could've envisaged that UEFA would use their institutional power to protect their incredibly profitable cup competition."

I'm surprised that Chelsea and City got involved with it and unsurprised they were the first to bail. Their owners aren't in in football for the money, they just want to pretend they are good guys so people forget about their crimes.

Arsenal, Lpool and United have a more honest excuse that they just want to make more money in what ever way possible. An attitude that is usually worshipped at the altar of wealth.

The owner of these 3 clubs won't care if they now look stupid, whereas City and Chelsea might have awkward questions to answer.

Not sure of the story behind Spurs wealth.

Perhaps the 6 took a look at UEFA’s CL and Europa Cup proposals and worked out that it’s not far away from what they were trying to set up, just within the tent rather than outside it. More matches, more TV money, a league, more clubs, midweek, qualification available via the Champions Path and no legacy fans, politicians or other clubs arguing against it.

The rich will get richer and more dominant. Football will not reset.