Path to the playoffs

ariotofmyown

22 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

Why not when we are 3 points from the relegation places? 

I'll leave that with you. 

Glass half full me. I’ll leave that with you to decide which one you are. 

I know which one Id prefer. It’s pointless supporting a team if you give up half way through the season. 

5 minutes ago, Bald Eagle's Barmy Army said:

Glass half full me. I’ll leave that with you to decide which one you are. 

I know which one Id prefer. It’s pointless supporting a team if you give up half way through the season. 

I've always said I'm glass half full can point you to the posts where I've stated that. You brandish the word though as some kind of personal insult which is strange.

I just think we've got far more pressing concerns to worry about which is being 3 points off the relegation places which is a pragmatic and realistic observation.

5 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

You need to play well to not be relegated, you need to play well to get into the top 6. What's the problem?

I just think talking about getting into the Top 6 when we're 3 points above the relegation places is mental, absurd, but that's just the way my brain is wired rightly or wrongly. 

I don't want to be a drag just posting my opinion and if we do manage it I'll be the first to admit I was totally wrong and would be happy to do so. 

My expectations this season are so low after the rictus Cocu oversaw are anything above 14th place would be a phenomenal achievement. 

14 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

IF we won tonight we'd be 11 points off 6th place. 

I can't argue with that Roy, my mindset is with one of the other threads think it's titled One Step At a Time.

Every time we win a game or don't get beaten we are edging ourselves away from the relegation zone.

I just don't want to appear to wee on peoples chips, when I see some of the comments about Top 6 it says to me people still haven't yet grasped the seriousness of our situation. 

Watching football for over 60 years, there’s always the dream of success to help when that’s about all we have, dreams. For me part of the fascination and enthusiasm is having those dreams as possibilities. Without that, I don’t really understand why teams in lower leagues have diehard supporters. I can’t influence anything but I can always dream, even though I have a sensible bit shouting ‘rubbish’.!

Win tonight and Saturday and the odd result goes our way then it becomes a possibility, as of now I'm with Tyler we have to win tonight first just to get out of the poo then win on Saturday then if we manage that which is by no means a given as we could easily lose both then talking about a slight chance of top 6 is fair enough after 5 straight wins. Even then it would be unlikely, if we are within 6 or 7 points at the start of March that's when it becomes possible. 

Edited by Marriot Ram99

When I looked just before Christmas, from our position (maybe 23rd with 20 games gone?), no team had ever finished in the top half. 

For Rooney to do what he has so far is quite remarkable. To even make it to 12th place would be a historic achievement. Top 6 is just silly talk.

We need to be realistic - if we can remain in the Championship and avoid going into administration, the second half of this season will have been a success.

15 hours ago, Yani P said:

We were 500/1 to get promoted a few weeks back so will make it very interesting if we made the play offs

So, using the above merely as a guide (I've no idea what the current odds are?), we appear to be 10 times more likely to get promoted this season than Fester were likely to win the EPL, back in August 2015?

Hmmm...