Path to the playoffs

ariotofmyown

5 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

You ascertained that nobody on this thread actually believed we would reach top 6 but at least 2 posters argued the toss that it was still mathematically possible to do so which says otherwise.

Whenever I see your avatar as the most recent poster on a thread I think "let's see what poor sod Tyler Durdan is telling off now with his beautifully worded misery".

You never disappoint ?

6 hours ago, Tyler Durden said:

You ascertained that nobody on this thread actually believed we would reach top 6 but at least 2 posters argued the toss that it was still mathematically possible to do so which says otherwise.

It does not say otherwise.  It doesn't even hint otherwise.  The two statements are exclusive to each other.  Here's the proof...

Right now, it is still mathematically possible for Derby County to reach the play offs.

Despite being mathematically possible, I do not believe that Derby County will actually reach the play offs.

Both lines being factually correct.  

1 hour ago, Mucker1884 said:

Despite being mathematically possible, I do not believe that Derby County will actually reach the play offs.

Both lines being factually correct.  

True apart from the fact as I still maintain two posters at least did not make the comment that "even though it is still mathematically possible to reach the playoffs I don't think we will do"

So I would agree with you if this connection was stated which unfortunately it wasn't.

I guess add to that why would you even start a thread about reaching the playoffs if you considered the idea to be unachievable and sheer fantasy unless you wanted it to be tongue in cheek or a wind up.

19 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

True apart from the fact as I still maintain two posters at least did not make the comment that "even though it is still mathematically possible to reach the playoffs I don't think we will do"

So I would agree with you if this connection was stated which unfortunately it wasn't.

I guess add to that why would you even start a thread about reaching the playoffs if you considered the idea to be unachievable and sheer fantasy unless you wanted it to be tongue in cheek or a wind up.

No lose position; if we go on to be challenging then they will be saying they were right all along, if it doesn't happen they will say they were fishing for bites and caught quite a few big ones

8 minutes ago, Spanish said:

No lose position; if we go on to be challenging then they will be saying they were right all along, if it doesn't happen they will say they were fishing for bites and caught quite a few big ones

Yes my point exactly summed up far more succinctly and eloquently than I was able to. Thankyou. 

Edited by Tyler Durden
Can't spell

What is it with us?

Take our last 12 games.

We have played 4 teams - who currently occupy places in the top 9 (Brentford, Swansea, Bournemouth & Bristol City) - and gained an incredible 10 points from those four games.

We have also played 4 teams - who currently occupy mid table obscurity 10th to 17th (Stoke, Preston, Millwall and QPR) - and gained a respectable 7 points from those four games.

Then we have also played 3 teams (i.e. Rotherham twice) - who currently occupy places in the bottom 4 (Rotherham, Birmingham and Sheffield Wednesday) - and gained just 3 points from those 4 games!

It just doesn't make sense, does it?

If we had only taken the same 20 points over the last 12 games, but taken 3 points off the top teams, and 10 off the bottom teams, the table would look a lot healthier.

Changing the depressing trend of failing to compete with teams fighting for their survival needs to be a priority!

4 hours ago, Tyler Durden said:

In my mind, stating "It is mathematically possible" gives absolutely no inference that the writer believes it will happen, so I guess we'll have to agree to differ on that one!

As for your last para, if it was me that started it... which I'm sad to say it wasn't... then I'd definitely go with the wind up option!
Whether the actual OP was wumming or not, I've absolutely no idea, but I have to say, if that's the case, then they get a pat on the back from me, because it appears to have been rather successful, in part at least!

?

3 hours ago, Mucker1884 said:

In my mind, stating "It is mathematically possible" gives absolutely no inference that the writer believes it will happen, so I guess we'll have to agree to differ on that one!

As for your last para, if it was me that started it... which I'm sad to say it wasn't... then I'd definitely go with the wind up option!
Whether the actual OP was wumming or not, I've absolutely no idea, but I have to say, if that's the case, then they get a pat on the back from me, because it appears to have been rather successful, in part at least!

?

I told you it was worth doing just to wind @Tyler Durden up!

My original post was to suggest that if we continued on a very good run, then there was a path to the playoffs, as the most the teams above us are poor and/or in poor form.

I'm sorry if this caused us to lose the other night. Perhaps that noisy fool at the ground read it and doubled down on his ref abuse?

Maybe some of the team read it and believed all they had to do was show up to get to Wembley?

Apologies if I got anyone's hopes up, only for them to be crushed cruelly at the New York Stadium.

Although, it's worth pointing out we are as close to the playoffs now as we were before this midweek!

7 hours ago, Addingham Ram said:

What is it with us?

Take our last 12 games.

We have played 4 teams - who currently occupy places in the top 9 (Brentford, Swansea, Bournemouth & Bristol City) - and gained an incredible 10 points from those four games.

We have also played 4 teams - who currently occupy mid table obscurity 10th to 17th (Stoke, Preston, Millwall and QPR) - and gained a respectable 7 points from those four games.

Then we have also played 3 teams (i.e. Rotherham twice) - who currently occupy places in the bottom 4 (Rotherham, Birmingham and Sheffield Wednesday) - and gained just 3 points from those 4 games!

It just doesn't make sense, does it?

If we had only taken the same 20 points over the last 12 games, but taken 3 points off the top teams, and 10 off the bottom teams, the table would look a lot healthier.

Changing the depressing trend of failing to compete with teams fighting for their survival needs to be a priority!

This sounds familiar. ?

safe for work puppy GIF by SB Nation

10 hours ago, Tyler Durden said:

This debate needs the objectionbot

Objection!.gif