Path to the playoffs

ariotofmyown

we've got 20 games left and we're still only 3 points above the drop zone. A lot of the games under Rooney have been very tight and we're going to have to find a way to score more as i doubt our record of conceding 4 in 12 is sustainable for the next 20 games. We're still firmly in a relegation battle at this point and dreaming of anything above avoiding relegation is a bit silly. 

Who would have thought the mighty Bournemouth would lose again.

Basically Blackburn are our only threat now to stop us finishing 6th. There is always* a team who puts an amazing run together to finish top 6 out of nowhere.

*Palace did it once I think. Maybe Villa the year before they beat us in playoff final?

10 minutes ago, ariotofmyown said:

Basically Blackburn are our only threat now to stop us finishing 6th. There is always* a team who puts an amazing run together to finish top 6 out of nowhere.

*Palace did it once I think. Maybe Villa the year before they beat us in playoff final?

It would be the biggest turnaround in second division history if we finished in the playoffs this season

If we had an extra 6 points from some of  the stupid games we have thrown away this season it would be doable but I can't see it tbh. 

If we finish top half which would be doable if we keep showing improvement and start scoring a few more that would be very good considering where we were after the Middlesborough defeat and also after Cocu was finally sacked. 

To get top 6 we would need to start playing like the Mac 1 Derby side or the Billy Davies promotion side which would be abit more realistic, can't see it unless Roberts and Gregory turn out to be unbelievable signings and get us some goals. 

On 01/02/2021 at 23:58, Rampage said:

If these were indeed the five players that Wayne wanted, what does it say about his thinking. Easy to understand why he chose players to fit those positions but why these players in particular 

‘Character’ was the word he used   

as we’ve seen on the pitch since he took over (Rotherham the single exception) 

2 hours ago, Leeds Ram said:

we've got 20 games left and we're still only 3 points above the drop zone. A lot of the games under Rooney have been very tight and we're going to have to find a way to score more as i doubt our record of conceding 4 in 12 is sustainable for the next 20 games. We're still firmly in a relegation battle at this point and dreaming of anything above avoiding relegation is a bit silly. 

It's a classic feature of this forum, win 3 games and we're the best team in the league.  I think we'll avoid relegation, but we certainly won't be troubling the top 6.

9 hours ago, Leeds Ram said:

Your boring ?

What about if we win our next two and Bournemouth lose Saturday. Would you say 8 points isn’t a lot to catch up with 18 games to play? 

No need for playoff talk. Good to have hope and its a topsy turvy league but the form would need to be ridiculous. 20 matches left, 70 points is usually benchmark for playoffs (sometimes higher, sometimes but rarely lower). We would need 42 points (2.1 per match). The McClaren playoff year we achieved fewer points per game than that.  It would involve the greatest run from a Derby team in my lifetime for us to achieve playoffs or a bizarre scenario of results with other teams. Then again, there is still a chance and it's good to dream! There are too many teams above us though. I think we need to survive this season and the new signings add much needed squad depth. 

10 hours ago, Marriott Ram99 said:

If we had an extra 6 points from some of  the stupid games we have thrown away this season it would be doable but I can't see it tbh. 

If we finish top half which would be doable if we keep showing improvement and start scoring a few more that would be very good considering where we were after the Middlesborough defeat and also after Cocu was finally sacked. 

To get top 6 we would need to start playing like the Mac 1 Derby side or the Billy Davies promotion side which would be abit more realistic, can't see it unless Roberts and Gregory turn out to be unbelievable signings and get us some goals. 

Tonight will be a good guide even without most new players not playing.