Path to the playoffs

ariotofmyown

1 hour ago, ariotofmyown said:

True, but it's been better since Rooney took over. I think most of those 7 have been in the last 10.

Many teams have got promoted with a tight defence and few goals. We aren't even particularly defensive either, just not yet clinical enough to usually create or finish good chances.

Maybe marginally, but it’s still terrible. You can get promoted playing a defensive style, but you’ve still got to score enough goals to consistently win games. We still aren’t doing that, despite the last few wins. The squad isn’t capable of it.

Edited by Millenniumram

I honestly think we are in with a shout, in fact I fully expect a joint celebration for 'dcfc make the playoffs ' and ' hurrah for connor sammon on his ballon d'or victory '

I've just seen this thread and haven't looked at the other posts, but this is fantasy. We will need championship winning form between now and the end of the season, to creep into the play offs, with a paper thin squad, which has probably lost its best player for the rest of the season.

Let's hope for mid table and set our sights on building a team to challenge for next season.

1 hour ago, ram59 said:

I've just seen this thread and haven't looked at the other posts, but this is fantasy. We will need championship winning form between now and the end of the season, to creep into the play offs, with a paper thin squad, which has probably lost its best player for the rest of the season.

Let's hope for mid table and set our sights on building a team to challenge for next season.

Wayne wants 3 points from every game. That will not change.

1 hour ago, ram59 said:

If you read them all, including my opening one, I don't think anyone is saying we will actually make the playoffs.

Just there is a slight chance as most the teams above us aren't much good. We'd still have to go on an amazing run though.

5 hours ago, Rampage said:

Wayne wants 3 points from every game. That will not change.

He demands it from his players and they respond. It’s so much about motivation and he learnt about that at the feet of the fergie master   It helps of course that he is a legend - the players know he has done it all. 

Edited by kevinhectoring

Forget it!

We've been top at this point and missed the playoffs.

Brighton missed out on promotion with 89 points.

Let's just end this season with 55+ points and that'll be an amazing achievement!
PS I happen to think that, were we in the Premiership NOW we'd make a better showing than at least those in the bottom six, but that's just my opinion!

Too many teams above us, too many points have to go to one or other of them in too many games. We could catch up 14 points on Bournemouth in 20 games if we show amazing form and they have a Devon Loch run in...but we can't catch half the division.

Bielik injury pretty much underlines that.

I've really enjoyed watching us for the last 6 weeks or so, with occasional blips obviously, so I'm more interested in getting a successful end to the window and then watching game to game and seeing how the new lads can be blended in.

On 31/01/2021 at 01:04, Jourdan said:

I think our form under Rooney has been characterised by fine margins. So many of the games have been painfully tight and decided by the odd goal. 

When it’s like that, you have to anticipate things could easily change.

I think we still have work to do to consider ourselves safe. Wins like today and last week at QPR are a massive boost. Another win on Tuesday and most, if not all, will believe we’ll be fine.

Personally I wouldn’t have my eye on the play-offs for a while. I think the club has to show that things are working well and aligned on and off the pitch before we dare to dream.

xG under Rooney (our score in bold)

Wycombe - 1.6 vs 1.0
Coventry - 1.3 vs 0.8
Millwall - 1.2 vs 0.8
Brentford - 1.0 vs 0.4
Stoke - 1.0 vs 0.4
Swansea - 1.2 vs 0.3
Preston - 0.4 vs 1.2
Birmingham - 0.7 vs 4.1
Sheff Weds - 1.4 vs 1.7
Rotherham - 0.9 vs 1.5
Bournemouth - 1.4 vs 1.0
QPR - 1.3 vs 0.9
Bristol - 1.7 vs 0.4

An average of 1.3 vs 0.9... Equivalent to 60 goals for over a season, with 41 against - similar to Fulham's 4th place finish last season (64 vs 48)

5 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

xG under Rooney (our score in bold)

Wycombe - 1.6 vs 1.0
Coventry - 1.3 vs 0.8
Millwall - 1.2 vs 0.8
Brentford - 1.0 vs 0.4
Stoke - 1.0 vs 0.4
Swansea - 1.2 vs 0.3
Preston - 0.4 vs 1.2
Birmingham - 0.7 vs 4.1
Sheff Weds - 1.4 vs 1.7
Rotherham - 0.9 vs 1.5
Bournemouth - 1.4 vs 1.0
QPR - 1.3 vs 0.9
Bristol - 1.7 vs 0.4

An average of 1.3 vs 0.9... Equivalent to 60 goals for over a season, with 41 against - similar to Fulham's 4th place finish last season (64 vs 48)

I am not sure what these stats are meant to show, GoC.

Are you trying to say we have or we’ve not been in tight games?

To me, again, looking at those stats, it just shows with a few obvious exceptions, the games have been tight and competitive and in many games both teams have created but not taken their big chances.

I don’t think what I said before was particularly unreasonable, was it?

It’s an improvement from the outcomes under Cocu, but when games are that close, it doesn’t take much to end up on the wrong side so it’s something to be wary of.

Edited by Jourdan

Just now, Jourdan said:

It’s an improvement from the outcomes under Cocu, but when games are that close, it doesn’t take much to end up on the  wrong side so it’s something to be wary of.

I think this is a fair point. Although we do look comfortable in games in terms of not conceding, it would be nice to see some more goals. We won't be able to win 1-0 every week.

37 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

I am not sure what these stats are meant to show, GoC.

Are you trying to say we have or we’ve not been in tight games?

To me, again, looking at those stats, it just shows with a few obvious exceptions, the games have been tight and competitive and in many games both teams have created but not taken their big chances.

I don’t think what I said before was particularly unreasonable, was it?

It’s an improvement from the outcomes under Cocu, but when games are that close, it doesn’t take much to end up on the wrong side so it’s something to be wary of.

The spread between goals for and against is what you'd expect for a top 6 side - hence the comparison with Fulham's 4th place finish from last season. Essentially, we're consistently a little bit better than the opposition. The alternatives are being the best side in the league and getting 2.0 vs 1.0 per game, or being more inconsistent with 0.5 vs 0.9 in half your games and 2.1 vs 0.9 in the other half (the average is still 1.3 vs 0.9). As you should know by now, there isn't too much between teams in this league, so it's no surprise a lot of games are close.

For comparison, table topping Norwich averaged 1.7 vs 1.1 over the past 10 games (can't be bothered to check the whole season)... 0.7 vs 0.8, 1.6 vs 0.1, 0.9 vs 2.1, 1.5 vs 0.9, 3.0 vs 1.8, 1.4 vs 0.7, 1.3 vs 1.0, 0.7 vs 2.2, 2.2 vs 2.3, 1.6 vs 1.3