Path to the playoffs

ariotofmyown

You know what, 14 points is still recoverable at this stage in the season. But you’re overlooking one crucial point - the quality of our squad. It’s crap. We can’t score goals for toffee. Absolutely miles off top six standard. So unless we’re signing an entirely new attack tomorrow, it’s just not possible.

2 minutes ago, Rampage said:

If we had beaten Rotherham and the Wendies we would be 8 points behind Bournemouth etc. Only 5 teams left to play that we would start as clear second favourites against on paper but overall we already have a good record against these five.

We were also totally dominant vs Wednesday and was crazy we didn't win. Rotherham was clearly a hangover from the Covid break. We've been clearly the better team in nearly all games since Rooney took overall charge.

Very solid at the back. Good system the players look comfortable in. Faultless energy and commitment.

We've improved in creating chances, not converting them is the only potential weakness still.

1 minute ago, ariotofmyown said:

Bournemouth, Swansea and Bristol must be light years off then.

Individual games are no barometer of squad quality. The Championship is unpredictable on a game by game basis. By across the course of a season, the teams with the best squads generally make the top 6. We don’t have a squad anywhere near the quality of other teams. 

It's unlikely we will do it, but I only struggled with a case to catch up with Blackburn.

Our form is good. Most the teams below 5th are average. 

If we were talking about the Premier League, I think form is a fair enough way to look at it (although this season is a little different).

But the Championship it’s so up and down.

A few extra players of top quality and there’s no reason why we can’t be looking up rather than down, but a squad as thin as ours and it only takes Beilik to be out for the season and a few others getting tired/knocks, then before you know it you’re relying on 18 year olds with 5 senior appearances to win every game.

7 minutes ago, ariotofmyown said:

We were also totally dominant vs Wednesday and was crazy we didn't win. Rotherham was clearly a hangover from the Covid break. We've been clearly the better team in nearly all games since Rooney took overall charge.

Very solid at the back. Good system the players look comfortable in. Faultless energy and commitment.

We've improved in creating chances, not converting them is the only potential weakness still.

Lot of people missing the point, I think.  The fact we are having this conversation and not, have we been bought out yet? Is a shift in the psyche of some of the fans and hopefully the players, management and who knows?............

.........Sheik?

Edited by Ruud Aralliss

2 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

Individual games are no barometer of squad quality. The Championship is unpredictable on a game by game basis. By across the course of a season, the teams with the best squads generally make the top 6. We don’t have a squad anywhere near the quality of other teams. 

Agree our squad is much worse than Norwich, Watford, Brentford and Bournemouth.  Struggling to think of many other teams that have quality throughout their squad.

No. If we had Bielik and a few decent reinforcements to improve our depth we could maybe push for the top of the bottom half. However I think we'll probably loiter between 15th and 20th for the rest of the season. To be honest there isn't really much difference in that, I'm happy to fast forward 4 months, stay in the division, and build from there when we're back on level points with the other 23 sides.

3 minutes ago, Mckram said:

If we were talking about the Premier League, I think form is a fair enough way to look at it (although this season is a little different).

But the Championship it’s so up and down.

A few extra players of top quality and there’s no reason why we can’t be looking up rather than down, but a squad as thin as ours and it only takes Beilik to be out for the season and a few others getting tired/knocks, then before you know it you’re relying on 18 year olds with 5 senior appearances to win every game.

Good point, which is why the supposed new transfers are critical.

Agree our squad is much worse than Norwich, Watford, Brentford and Bournemouth.  Struggling to think of many other teams that have quality throughout their squad.

Honestly, most of them do. Especially in attack. I’d take almost every other team in the divisions attack over ours. 

We’ve done well for 13 games but it’s a completely different kettle of fish to do that over 30-40 games.

If we had beaten Wycombe, Coventry and Rotherham and Sheff Wed, we’d have another 10 points on the board and the play-offs would be looking well within reach. In that case, threads such as this one would be completely understandable.

But having not done that, we just have to be realistic. Staying up comfortably this year should be the aim and hopefully we have a positive rebuild in the summer and then let’s see where that takes us. 

We need to be ready and with all of our ducks in order for when everyone starts on zero, a luxury we haven’t had for a few years now.

8 minutes ago, Kernow said:

No. If we had Bielik and a few decent reinforcements to improve our depth we could maybe push for the top of the bottom half. However I think we'll probably loiter between 15th and 20th for the rest of the season. To be honest there isn't really much difference in that, I'm happy to fast forward 4 months, stay in the division, and build from there when we're back on level points with the other 23 sides.

I think in reality, most of will be.  But as said in an advert for teachers ( I think) ......

If you are going to aim at all,

Aim high.

If you can aim high,

Aim higher.

Edited by Ruud Aralliss

2 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

We’ve done well for 13 games but it’s a completely different kettle of fish to do that over 30-40 games.

We don't look like we are winging it though. Hard to see a big downturn in form on the horizon unless we suffer a few injuries. Hopefully 2-3 good players will boost the squad to help prevent against that. 

You are right about starting the season with all our ducks in a row. That is more unrealistic than making the playoffs though!