Frank Lampard

Day

No sympathy for him. The way he handled his departure from us and the disruption it caused, left me with a nasty taste in my mouth. 

Abramovich was always going to sack him, he only wanted Lampard as a stop gap while Chelsea were under a transfer ban. I'm surprised that Abramovich allowed Lampard to spend so much money at the start of this season. 

"Frank, fancy coming home to The Bridge? We can't buy any players and think your and Jody could hold the fort for a year and play some of the kids you both know so well."

"Sure, sounds great. But what happens the next season when we'll inevitably buy loads of expense players in a scattergun approach?"

"You'll get 3 months to turn them into title challengers, or else get sacked."

"But I'm a really inexperienced manager. I'll need time to learn my trade properly."

"..."

"Ok, I'm in. Blue is the colour, football is the game!"

"Great news, we'll try and get it sorted in 2 months to really screw Derby about."

"Why do you want to do that boss?"

"..."

"Hello? Hello, are you there?"

Edited by ariotofmyown

1 hour ago, Rammy03 said:

I think it's harsh, it's his first bad run. They never give managers time these days especially at that club. Disgusting really. That being said, he did probably go there too soon. Maybe he lost the dressing room. What next for Frank?

bit harsh...? have you seen that he has thrown over 200 million at it and are below Villa and West Ham.! 

Delighted for him, what goes around comes around fatty,

2 hours ago, Ambitious said:

I've just had a conversation with a mate about this, who mentioned he should've stayed with Derby. I massively disagree, it's not a problem with Chelsea, it's a football issue. He would've absolutely been sacked as Derby manager at some point and received a much lesser pay off. He will get a new job now and inevitably get sacked from that - it happens. 

The last five seasons, between all the English league clubs, there have been: 52, 60, 67, 63 and 74 sackings. 52 being an outlier due to Covid. We can consider roughly half the clubs in the English professional leagues will sack their manager each season. I find that absolutely barmy. I used to find it intriguing, but now I just find it boring.  

Anywhere else, and I'd agree with you, but this was his dream job.  The (only) one that really mattered how it will look, come his retirement.  Unless he gets a really lucky break, and gets another crack at it sometime in the future, his dream job will now go down as a failure.  His (overall) reputation, at his beloved club, a tad tarnished.

I thought at the time he shouldn't have taken it.  He needed experience behind him.  Far more than one season in the Championship could offer.  He needed to build his managerial CV.  Hey, even pick up the odd trophy, or reach a final or two?  THEN, take the dream job.  Older, wiser, and with a decade's worth of experience to fall back on. 
Yes, of course, he'd still get sacked eventually (almost certainly), but he'd have had a better chance of leaving after 5/7/10 years in his dream job.  Half a dozen trophies.  Maybe a Manager of the year award?

He would have had more chance of sitting in his rocking chair, telling his grandkids how he not only held his dream job, but was deemed a success too (Despite eventually getting the sack, but hey, that's football!)
But no... he went too soon.  That particular job was too big, at that particular time.

I still think he'll be a success, and in the football sense, he'll look back at a successful career in management (to go with the success as a player).  But from his own personal perspective, I reckon he'll now retire with regrets, what ifs, and if onlys!

I can see it now... sometime in the next 15 years... on the pitch, holding aloft the European Cup (Or whatever it's called!), and those immortal words...

"IT SHOULD HAVE BEEN CHELSEA"!   ?

The only way is down for Frank. Let’s face it the only Prem job open to him was Chelsea no one else would be interested now. His track record at Derby was good because we had Mount Wilson and Tomori. I would argue that most championship teams would at least make the playoffs with those three in the team. He seemed to think he could get Mason Bennett to finally step up but that didn’t work either.

So as a coach were any of our own players the better from Lampard’s tutelage?

I would argue not.

He may not even look for another post now because where does he go from Chelsea.

I think his sacking is very harsh but all those very rich owners in the premiership think they should be destroying teams every week and winning all the trophies - they only ever play to win league and champions league (. Reserves played in cup competitions) so they can’t all win ! Anyway not my concern !

45 minutes ago, JohnHarkes said:

I don't think the same will happen with Rooney, at least not as soon as it did with Lampard. It'd take a very similar set of circumstances - United being under an embargo, having a season without Champions League - for it to happen. Can't see United's next appointment being anything other than an established manager, so Rooney would at least have to have gotten Derby promoted first, and I'll take that. 

I say this knowing that I've been wrong about almost every prediction I've ever made regarding our managers.

But they did hire Solskjaer whose record wasn't good at all. I could see it happening if they sacked someone mid season and then hired Rooney as Caretaker until the end of the season to see how he'd do, like they did with Solskjaer. 

5 minutes ago, Rammy03 said:

still needed longer. lost a few games and all of a sudden he's gone. ruthless 

He has had a season and a half, spent over 200 million and they are miles worse off than they was when he took over, i would suggest he has probably had too much time.

5 minutes ago, DCFClks said:

But they did hire Solskjaer whose record wasn't good at all. I could see it happening if they sacked someone mid season and then hired Rooney as Caretaker until the end of the season to see how he'd do, like they did with Solskjaer. 

Surely if Man Utd had sacked their manager mid season and were looking for someone else, they'd give it Giggsy till the end of the season.