Frank Lampard

Day

He was a great manager for us.

that Leeds play off game is one of the all time great Derby matches.

unfortunately he got it a bit wrong at Wembley and thereafter should have resigned pronto if he wanted to pursue the Chelsea job that everyone knew was heading his way.

“the should I stay or should I go” post had nothing to do with him. We shouldn’t hold that against him.

without Frank we went on a severe downward spiral 

hope he comes back one day tbh.

why not.

Can't help but like Frank, but he made a (very understandable) mistake in leaving us for Chelsea, then drastically overpaid for potential last summer. He's been on borrowed time for a few weeks.

I wouldn't want him back, even if had a vacancy. Not entirely sure there's as much substance behind the inspirational presence and aura as maybe some believe.

Similar inspirational presence and aura now resides behind the managers desk at Moor Farm, and it seems to me that there is a big healthy nugget of substance behind Mr Rooney as a manager too. 6 weeks ago, I was decidedly nervous about him, but right now...Frank or Wayne? Only one winner for me.

18 minutes ago, RamNut said:

He was a great manager for us.

that Leeds play off game is one of the all time great Derby matches.

unfortunately he got it a bit wrong at Wembley and thereafter should have resigned pronto if he wanted to pursue the Chelsea job that everyone knew was heading his way.

“the should I stay or should I go” post had nothing to do with him. We shouldn’t hold that against him.

without Frank we went on a severe downward spiral 

hope he comes back one day tbh.

why not.

He wasn’t allowed to resign because if he had Chelsea wouldn’t have to pay us anything 

4 hours ago, Jourdan said:

What an entirely foreseeable situation. It seems the only person who couldn’t see it was Frank himself.

He was so naive in taking the Chelsea job. He should have stayed here and grown with the club. Getting us promoted and re-established in the PL would have reflected far better on him as a manager.

For such a seemingly intelligent bloke, the lack of common sense and long-term thinking was astounding.

He knows exactly how both Chelsea as a club and Roman as an owner operate so he should have recognised that the moment he stopped hitting club targets, he would be at risk.

If no protection, time or patience was afforded to managers like Mourinho, Ancelotti and Conte, why would Roman treat him any differently?

You seem to be contradicting yourself..first you say Frank was naive...then he knew exactly how Chelsea and Roman operate...your second point is the correct one...he was at Chelsea for more than 10 years and knew exactly what he was getting into.. He wasn't remotely naive.He knew the score.

4 minutes ago, Patrick Rams said:

You seem to be contradicting yourself..first you say Frank was naive...then he knew exactly how Chelsea and Roman operate...your second point is the correct one...he was at Chelsea for more than 10 years and knew exactly what he was getting into.. He wasn't remotely naive.He knew the score.

No contradiction at all.

Of course Frank was naive. His ‘dream job’ has gone up in smoke inside 18 months without a notable achievement to his name.  That suggests his decision to take the job was an unwise and misguided one.

When I say he was naive, I mean he knew the risks and he knew the typical working conditions for a manager at Chelsea but wilfully ignored all of it and went ahead with taking the job anyway. Perhaps he expected this time it’d be different or that he’d get special treatment because of his status at the club.

If I start dating a woman knowing she has cheated on her boyfriends in the past, if I press forward with the relationship expecting it will be different with me and later get cheated on, is that not naive?

There were so many obvious red flags that should have made him see it wouldn’t work and dissuaded him from taking the job at the time. They didn’t and look what happened.

You can know the risks involved in an action and the chances of something going wrong, but still do it anyway.

If that isn’t the definition of naive, I don’t know what is.

2 hours ago, Spanish said:

He wasn’t allowed to resign because if he had Chelsea wouldn’t have to pay us anything 

That's a good explanation about the terrible amount of time that it took ...

... but ... he didn't have to resign!

As I recall ... a strong feeling on the forum was to wish him the best, while thinking that he was too inexperienced for Chelsea.

5 hours ago, David said:

Me neither. Find it all a little bizarre really.

Left for his dream job, as we all would.

The protracted departure was not his own doing, that was Chelsea haggling with Sarri and dragging there feet.

Fans demanding he addressed the rumours, he couldn’t come out and say yes I want the Chelsea job before having a contract under his nose. 

I mean Mel confirmed all this himself, felt the need to come out and defend him, yet McClaren is hailed as some kind of god around here who was sacked. Go figure.

Oh and just to put it out there, I would love a body like Lampard’s, and I suspect all those running the fat memes are nowhere near as fit and healthy looking behind the keyboards.

Frank won’t come back to Derby, England will be his next job and he will be suited to it perfectly. Just needs to bring someone in with him that can work with the defence, his time at both Derby and Chelsea highlighted this as his weakness.

Clever bloke though, won’t need me sitting here and pointing it out.

He wasn’t that clued up on the attack in the biggest game of the season to be honest.

6 hours ago, David said:

Would have him back in a heartbeat if Rooney was to leave.

Perhaps if he crawled on hands and knees in supplication from the cathedral to Pride Park.

(actually ... this might be a touch of heresy ... maybe the end point should be the cathedral)

I'm not sure I'd want him back. The first time round he was hungry, and the chance of success for Derby was a stepping stone towards the Chelsea job. I don't think he'd be quite so hungry second time round.

5 hours ago, Jourdan said:

He was naive to think he was ready for such a big job and could succeed where far more established managers have failed - keeping Roman happy.

At the end of the day, if you are an inexperienced manager, you work your way up and you bide your time. If Frank had progressed us as a club in the same way Nuno has done with Wolves and taken his lessons, rolled with the punches and taken the bumps and bruises along the way, he would have been far better placed to take on the Chelsea job.

If it’s your dream job, surely you want to do that job to the best of your ability and give yourself the best platform for success? So surely you take that job when you are at the peak of your powers and have considerable experience and know how behind you? 12 months of managerial experience was never likely to be enough.

There is a constant churn of managers at Chelsea. Tuchel will probably last less than two years too. Of course the opportunity would have come around if he had shown his qualities over time.

He tried to run before he could walk, and now I would imagine he is back to square one. He’ll have to take on a project like Brighton and grow the club.

But, he forgot what it was that made him happy!

It wasn't Chelsea!

Itwas the fact that he enjoyed being loyal to one club.

He should have stuck it out with us! He was building an emotional connection with our club. And, I think that it had potential to deepen.

Although ... I think Mrs L was keen to have everyone back living in London!

4 hours ago, ziggyram59 said:

I think at the end of the day Lampard knew the risks of the Chelsea job but in his eyes he couldn't turn it down that's understandable but there's no sentiment with Roman Abramovich keep winning matches your ok if not your sacked, I think Lampard wasn't experienced enough as a manager to be there boss. It will be interesting to see where his next job will be, maybe abroad. 

Or did he think he was an even more special one!