Frank Lampard

Day

10 minutes ago, ramsbottom said:

But in fairness there wouldn't be many people who turned down the chance of working with better players, having more money to spend, earning more money, and being able to live at home with their Mrs, regardless if they thought they were ready for it.

The only way you could see any manager seeing out his contract with Roman is if they won the Prem and champions league every year, and commented that he is the best chairman, of the best football club ever, as every press conference...

Of course, the appeal and attraction was obvious. I get that. But as a career step, it was naive, premature, and loaded with risk.

Look at a top coach like Brendan Rodgers. He had to bide his time before getting a big job. He only got the Liverpool job after he had first taken Swansea up and then established them as a competitive team in the PL.

Even then some people argued it was too soon for him. And that’s after three different jobs and three to four years of development and learning the craft.

I don’t think Chelsea is an impossible job, but as a manager, it’s obvious when you have bitten off more than you can chew. With Lampard going there, it was clear right away.

In the long term, I don't think this will hurt Frank too much.

He'll point to a play off final, with only a few loans to help, and Champions League qualification under a transfer ban as proof of ability, and someone who's not scratched the surface will go for him.

It's hardly like being sacked by Chelsea is the end of a coach's career, wouldn't surprise me to see him back in the dugout there before the decades out.

If I were him, I'd wait until a club on the up, like Southampton, has their manager poached, then step into a decent squad that's performing well, I don't think he has the experience yet to turn around a poor group.

47 minutes ago, ramsbottom said:

But in fairness there wouldn't be many people who turned down the chance of working with better players, having more money to spend, earning more money, and being able to live at home with their Mrs, regardless if they thought they were ready for it.

The only way you could see any manager seeing out his contract with Roman is if they won the Prem and champions league every year, and commented that he is the best chairman, of the best football club ever, as every press conference...

Agreed.

Also, I Have said this before on here, that if he had turned Abramovich down, he would have never been offered it again. So it was Hobson's choice really.

12 minutes ago, Rev said:

In the long term, I don't think this will hurt Frank too much.

He'll point to a play off final, with only a few loans to help, and Champions League qualification under a transfer ban as proof of ability, and someone who's not scratched the surface will go for him.

It's hardly like being sacked by Chelsea is the end of a coach's career, wouldn't surprise me to see him back in the dugout there before the decades out.

If I were him, I'd wait until a club on the up, like Southampton, has their manager poached, then step into a decent squad that's performing well, I don't think he has the experience yet to turn around a poor group.

As he was pointing to those things I would point to....

a play off defeat, the fact that he finished in the same position as Gary Rowett even with an England international midfielder, the best Welsh player since Bale and an English international who the best team in Italy thought would strengthen their side in it.... 

4 minutes ago, MuespachRam said:

As he was pointing to those things I would point to....

a play off defeat, the fact that he finished in the same position as Gary Rowett even with an England international midfielder, the best Welsh player since Bale and an English international who the best team in Italy thought would strengthen their side in it.... 

You would, I would, but he'll find another chairman who melts in his presence and glosses over such details.

2 minutes ago, Pearl Ram said:

You might be a tad late with this news SK.

In other news, planet Earth is in the grip of a pandemic. ?

I did wonder! I had a look at threads and couldn’t see it. I cancelled my initial post, I’m always reluctant to start any thread as inevitably I’m no where near up to speed. Serves me right for living out of Derbyshire. News arrives late here. 

8 minutes ago, SKRam said:

I did wonder! I had a look at threads and couldn’t see it. I cancelled my initial post, I’m always reluctant to start any thread as inevitably I’m no where near up to speed. Serves me right for living out of Derbyshire. News arrives late here. 

I was only kidding, thanks for taking it in the spirit meant. ?