Frank Lampard

Day

Think Lampard's time as manager has soured due to bitterness how he left and his record in management at Everton and Chelsea part 2.

The season in isolation was enjoyable, we played attacking football and we witnessed a good cup run and a memorable night in Leeds.

Yes, he fluffed up the final, yes he sold us down the river in the summer, could a Warnock type manager have got us up with the same funds given? Maybe. But I think anyone saying he failed or that he did a bad job with us are being swayed by the above reasons. 

1 hour ago, TomTom92 said:

Think Lampard's time as manager has soured due to bitterness how he left and his record in management at Everton and Chelsea part 2.

The season in isolation was enjoyable, we played attacking football and we witnessed a good cup run and a memorable night in Leeds.

Similarly though, the lasting memories of the cup runs & the play-off second leg cloud people's judgements as to how good we were during many of our standard Championship games.

There were some other memorable highlights, including the comeback win against Norwich when the floodlights failed, but there were also spells where we looked very poor and/or relied on a Harry Wilson set piece (or two) or something special from Mount to get us points, rather than us having played well and/or been entertaining as a team.

We were at our best when then opposition were also willing to go a bit gung-ho and leave themselves open, which is the main reason IMO that Leeds game happened. Lampard - and Marriott - couldn't have asked for a better manager to face-off against than Bielsa, who did nothing to protect their first leg lead.

...but that also means the criticism of Lampard for the team selection vs Villa is a bit skewed by what I think is a false narrative, that had Marriott started the match would have been completely different and it was his non-selection which doomed us to failure. I don't think he'd have made an impact at all had he started -  it wasn't his type of game to play from the start in.

Edited by Kokosnuss

17 minutes ago, Kokosnuss said:

Similarly though, the lasting memories of the cup runs & the play-off second leg cloud people's judgements as to how good we were during many of our standard Championship games.

There were some other memorable highlights, including the comeback win against Norwich when the floodlights failed, but there were also spells where we looked very poor and/or relied on a Harry Wilson set piece (or two) or something special from Mount to get us points, rather than us having played well and/or been entertaining as a team.

We were at our best when then opposition were also willing to go a bit gung-ho and leave themselves open, which is the main reason IMO that Leeds game happened. Lampard - and Marriott - couldn't have asked for a better manager to face-off against than Bielsa, who did nothing to protect their first leg lead.

...but that also means the criticism of Lampard for the team selection vs Villa is a bit skewed by what I think is a false narrative, that had Marriott started the match would have been completely different and it was his non-selection which doomed us to failure. I don't think he'd have made an impact at all had he started -  it wasn't his type of game to play from the start in.

All fair points which i agree with.

Just so its on record, my input wasn't to stick up for Frank because I believe he's a shoddy manager and at the time I was salty at the way he left us. So my opinion of him is very poor. However, I don't think he can be called a failure in his season with us.

3 hours ago, Anon said:

I can't stand this revisionism regarding that season. It comes up all the time. Of those 3, only Mount came with a big reputation. How is it a fair assessment to look at where those players are now and retroactively base judgement on a manager that had them when they were teenagers? Do you think losing Vydra, who'd scored 21 goals the previous season, might have had an effect? You say top 5ish players, but our forward line for that season in Marriott, Waghorn, and Bennett aren't and have never been close to being top end championship players.

To be fair, he signed 2 of that forward line for a combined 8 or so million (might not have been all him I know, who knows how recruitment worked back then!)

I think at the time he did a job you could range somewhere from just below average to good, depending entirely on viewpoint. 6th wasn’t great imo but it was a really fun season with good cup runs and Leeds away.

I think looking back at it now, with hindsight and what’s happened since, there’s much bigger question marks. Spending was comfortably 8 figures without a single penny subsequently recouped (although he did create value out of Bogle). Again, he might not have been that involved in transfers but I’d be willing to bet he had a decent say. As disastrous a summer as Clement’s was, really.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

Speaks about his time at Derby for around 10 minutes here (vid should play from the relevant section).

Few things I took from it:

1) Too nice on the bald barsteward who shall not be named (not @David), and failed to mention that our spending that summer was what tipped us to near-oblivion

2) While the permanent signings were largely poor value, the loan signings were well-targeted recruitment that deserve credit

3) He did genuinely care about the club

4) Beating Bielsa tactically in the second leg understandably boosted his confidence going into the summer (even if it was misplaced)

5) He wasn't actually hugely bothered about Spygate, and just put up a bit of a front for the club

Edited by DarkFruitsRam7

43 minutes ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

Speaks about his time at Derby for around 10 minutes here (vid should play from the relevant section).

Few things I took from it:

1) Too nice on the bald barsteward who shall not be named (not @David), and failed to mention that our spending that summer was what tipped us to near-oblivion

2) While the permanent signings were largely poor value, the loan signings were well-targeted recruitment that deserve credit

3) He did genuinely care about the club

4) Beating Bielsa tactically in the second leg understandably boosted his confidence going into the summer (even if it was misplaced)

5) He wasn't actually hugely bothered about Spygate, and just put up a bit of a front for the club

Going to Chelsea was a no brainer .  Took him long enough, his assistant squeezed in a two week holiday while he was pretending to make up his mind to no doubt get more cash in his pay deal.  Total chancer.