EFL appeal

Sith Happens

1 hour ago, kevinhectoring said:

B4 I think you’re ignoring the facts. 

we were found ‘guilty as charged’ of preparing accounts that don’t reflect the accounting profession’s requirements. 

the Tribunal did us a massive favour: they did not state that the accounts were contrary to the companies act. Instead, they found ‘only’ that we contravened the accounting standards

the reason that does us a massive favour is this: if your accounts don’t reflect companies act requirements, that is a clear breach of the EFL’s rules. (I would guess it’s also a criminal offence but not sure)

This matters because we know there are people at and around the EFL who think we deserve it in the neck for all this.  The EFL can give it to us in the neck if it gets a judgement that says we breached the companies act, because they can then justifiably say:

- you are in breach of our rules and the companies act by not sufficiently disclosing the change in amortisation policy 

- we think you did it deliberately, so that we would not notice/challenge the change in policy.

That could in their minds justify a hefty sanction and there may be EFl precedent to support that  

@therealhantsramhas told us the scope of the appeal was debated in November. If the EFl were really gunning for us they would want a ruling on appeal that says that our accounts breached the companies act. The problem is they (probably) can’t get this. They can’t get it because the part of the judgement they want to appeal was one on which they succeeded (but in a limited way): if you get a ruling in your favour, you can’t appeal it. (That’s why I think the Tribunal did us a massive favour ) 

incidentally, you’d expect the Sheikh’s team to have been in the loop on all of this in Nov and beyond. It may have been a factor in the mess that the takeover has become, we will never know (but fans continue to say the Sheikh is a charlatan!).

Ironically, this is all a bit personal between MM and the EFL, so we’d maybe get an easier ride if he sells. But this festering  sore does not help him do that

Were found not guilty on all charges and lost appeal 2nd time this be 3rd time unless I misunderstood it.

The only reason gibson kicked off and I say it again if I was mel I ask efl look into boro accounts.

• 3 weeks later...
40 minutes ago, Heisenberg said:

My understanding from some reports was that the EFL appealed thinking they could submit new evidence. Given the rules say they can't, I can only imagine another humiliating defeat for them.

Their time and money would have been better spent on changing the rules ?‍♂️

8 minutes ago, David said:

I'm not following here, how would any of this send us into administration?

Derby being ordered to pay 2 million pounds in compensation to Keogh, the takeover almost sending us into administration earlier this year, plus the money we’re losing from these legal battles with the EFL. We probably won’t though, just crazy how much money we’ve lost through external forces rather than player signings.  

18 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

My understanding from some reports was that the EFL appealed thinking they could submit new evidence. Given the rules say they can't, I can only imagine another humiliating defeat for them.

Their time and money would have been better spent on changing the rules ?‍♂️

Or better still, working out how to ease the financial woes of the 70 odd clubs teetering on the edge of extinction due to Covid restrictions. As it is, they'll simply end up spending another £2 million fighting a case they can't win before passing the bill for their stupidity to the very clubs who are struggling to survive.

Let's be honest here; we're talking about a body who seem far more keen on protecting the interests of Premier League teams than those they purport to serve. They have been seen to be wholly unfit purpose in every regard for a period of years now and the sooner they are put out to pasture, once and for all, the better for all concerned. 

39 minutes ago, ziggyram59 said:

Jesus do they never give up? Do the bar stewards hate us so much? 

I don’t think they’ve forgiven Mel for having the temerity to insinuate The EFL didn’t get as good a deal from Sky as they might have. My understanding and it’s probably wide of the mark is Sky we’re the driving force in negotiations whereas The EFL should have been. They should have opened negotiations with terrestrial channels and BT (even as a bluff) to indicate to Sky it wasn’t a given they’d renew with them. 

35 minutes ago, Pearl Ram said:

I don’t think they’ve forgiven Mel for having the temerity to insinuate The EFL didn’t get as good a deal from Sky as they might have. My understanding and it’s probably wide of the mark is Sky we’re the driving force in negotiations whereas The EFL should have been. They should have opened negotiations with terrestrial channels and BT (even as a bluff) to indicate to Sky it wasn’t a given they’d renew with them. 

All the commercial savvy of a wet wipe ?‍♂️