Christopher Hugh Martin Fan Club

Animal is a Ram

13 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

He's only 31 - same age as that bloke at Arsenal! Why not a 2/3 year deal? FFS It's pathetic we couldn't/wouldn't offer him that. I bet if it wasn't working after a year we'd still have got money in transfer fees for him! 

Yep,just another example of our ineptness on the transfer and player front.

I'm sure Bristol City will be getting a lot more out of this deal in more ways than one.

Meanwhile we are left empty handed.

Crazy.

13 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

He's only 31 - same age as that bloke at Arsenal! Why not a 2/3 year deal? FFS It's pathetic we couldn't/wouldn't offer him that. I bet if it wasn't working after a year we'd still have got money in transfer fees for him! 

Come on Roy, a 2 or 3 year deal for a 31 year old in the position we are in would be irresponsible and something we have been burned with beforehand, especially with his health issues which as harsh as it sounds have to be a factor in the clubs decision.

I can understand everyone who wanted him to stay, honestly I can, but we are simply not in a position to be able to offer contracts like that to ageing players and I firmly believe if Cocu wanted him to stay that the club will have done everything they could to make that happen. 

Fair play to him for getting that deal, completely understand it gives him excellent security and a nice city for him to settle into.  

2 hours ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

Haven't seen you post for a while. Hope you're well?

All good buddy; took some time out to explore new, and and revisit old, interests. Been a nice break in truth. Hope all is well with you too, and that you have enjoyed some leisure time during the summer. Hope your studies will not be too affected this coming year. Perhaps catch-up again on Zoom sometime soon.  COYR!

5 minutes ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

Quite simply the best striker I've seen wear the shirt in my time supporting the club. I have no problem with people who think letting him go was the right decision, but anyone actively rejoicing at the news that he's moving on is disrespectful beyond belief.

Shame you never saw Steve Bloomer he knew where the net was.

Just now, nottingram said:

Come on Roy, a 2 or 3 year deal for a 31 year old in the position we are in would be irresponsible and something we have been burned with beforehand, especially with his health issues which as harsh as it sounds have to be a factor in the clubs decision.

Nope. He was our best striker last season. There was nothing wrong with his health post lockdown. Unlike Marriott and now Waghorn!

As I said I bet we could have sold him for more than we'll get for Malone or Bennett (or even Waghorn?!).

2 minutes ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

Yep,just another example of our ineptness on the transfer and player front.

I'm sure Bristol City will be getting a lot more out of this deal in more ways than one.

Meanwhile we are left empty handed.

Crazy.

Kash, come on fella, you don't know what the club offered, I get the news has disappointed you greatly but for all you know we could have offered similar.

Don't buy into "rumours" as a lot of the time these ITK know jack, would you be surprised if he maybe wanted a change of scenery given what has happened over the years, I wouldn't, could sign a deal to find Cocu leaves by Christmas and he's off out on loan again. It has happened, it's just as possible that he wanted to move on, one final deal somewhere else and bow out.

5 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Nope. He was our best striker last season. There was nothing wrong with his health post lockdown. Unlike Marriott and now Waghorn!

As I said I bet we could have sold him for more than we'll get for Malone or Bennett (or even Waghorn?!).

On balance yes he probably was, and yes his health seemed fine for that ten game patch. But we can’t hand the world on a silver platter to anybody anymore let alone a 31 year old, really is that simple. 

I am really not sure what Malone or Bennett have to do with anything and I would be highly surprised if anyone was willing to pay a fee for him. 

53 minutes ago, nottingram said:

I can understand everyone who wanted him to stay, honestly I can, but we are simply not in a position to be able to offer contracts like that to ageing players and I firmly believe if Cocu wanted him to stay that the club will have done everything they could to make that happen. 

Fair play to him for getting that deal, completely understand it gives him excellent security and a nice city for him to settle into.  

It is a shame, as a result of spaffing money up the wall on some lousy players in the past 5 or 6 seasons, that we are now in a position where we couldn't offer a little bit more to a player who could still do a very decent job for the club. 

3 minutes ago, europia said:

It is a shame, as a result of spaffing money up the wall on some lousy players in the past 5 or 6 seasons, that we are now in a position where we couldn't offer a little bit more to a player who could still do a very decent job for the club. 

Very much so, don’t think you’ll find a single Derby fan that doesn’t resent that 15/16 splurge and what it has led to.

Maybe we could even have stretched to offering him something more attractive but for the Covid situation, but no one knows really. On balance I am glad we haven’t offered him a 2-3 year deal because you never know we might have a new manager who doesn’t rate him by November and back to square one, although fingers crossed that isn’t the case

Gutted, I thought he would have been snapped up a lot quicker so the longer it went on, I deluded myself that a reconciliation was on the cards. Hopefully we move quickly and decisively to replace him. As it stands, we are weakened as a squad whilst a rival is strengthened. Well said @Leicester Ram, I think you summed up the situation perfectly. 

1 hour ago, RoyMac5 said:

Yes, you mention Waghorn and the fact that he is still a DCFC player, so obviously considered a better option than Martin, seems totally wrong. 

2 minutes ago, europia said:

...Waghorn and the fact that he is still a DCFC player, so obviously considered a better option than Martin, seems totally wrong. 

Well who the fook would pay £5m for Waghorn (and another poster said the Blades fans during our friendly were on about him wanting £30k/week when we were in for him as they were too!!!)? But I suppose we'll have to extend his deal or be screwed by P&S.