Christopher Hugh Martin Fan Club

Animal is a Ram

3 minutes ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

No matter what you think of the (alleged) circumstances, the one thing we can state with absolute certainty is that the club offered him a contract, which he declined. DCFC didn't let him go.

Not that it matters but I could suggest that offering to sign someone on a contract that isn't near 'market rate' is tantamount to 'constructive dismissal'.

But yeah we offered him a year and he didn't take it. How very dare he. 

3 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Not that it matters but I could suggest that offering to sign someone on a contract that isn't near 'market rate' is tantamount to 'constructive dismissal'.

I think you misunderstand. I don't blame Martin for not taking the contract offered. I am just pointing out that saying the club 'let him go' is a statement so inaccurate it should be on the side of a bus.

The fan club will eventually get over a 1 in 3 striker whose best season was 7 years ago but if 'let him go' and 'tantamount to constructive dismissal' help, go ahead.

8 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

I wish you didn’t suggest that, just spat a mouth full of tea out my nostrils reading that! 

Please tell me you’re not seriously suggesting we effectively dismissed him as we didn’t offer him the market rate...which is what exactly?

19 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

I realise you have a love affair with Martin, but really some perspective is required from you!

22 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

I’m pretty certain he’s had his money’s worth out of Derby county over the last 3 or four years but hey if you want to be so so martin biased as to now spin it that the club constructively dismissed him let’s bring on the debate which will then be spun as oooooh your just Martin haters , 

tell me the terms offered and wages ( very important in the context of years to wage) by Derby ,then tell me the same for his Bristol deal and we can have a chat about whether Martin is sinned against or just another greedy footballer ungrateful to the club that have filled his bank account for years ,until then you are just another Martin groupie making stuff up and so in love with him that you fully believe your talking facts

24 minutes ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

I think you misunderstand. I don't blame Martin for not taking the contract offered. I am just pointing out that saying the club 'let him go' is a statement so inaccurate it should be on the side of a bus.

The fan club will eventually get over a 1 in 3 striker whose best season was 7 years ago but if 'let him go' and 'tantamount to constructive dismissal' help, go ahead.

The fan club may get over him but there is no way we will replace him - we haven’t got a pot to piss in to buy someone younger of comparable quality and no one on the books anywhere near as good. 

3 minutes ago, Jayram said:

The fan club may get over him but there is no way we will replace him - we haven’t got a pot to piss in to buy someone younger of comparable quality and no one on the books anywhere near as good. 

Judging by this forum, the club will recover quicker than his fan club.

Edited by Srg

I'm a huge Martin fan. HUGE. 

I can't say I'm sad to see him go, though. We know he was on a big old wage here and a significant amount of that contract was paid during a period where he wasn't in the team or out on loan. It was a bad contract and I'm glad we didn't extend it. I obviously have no idea what he's on now, but I'd imagine that Bristol have extended the contract to lower the wage. I wouldn't be surprised if he's still on good money. 

The problem with Martin is that he's the most one dimensional footballer I have ever seen at Derby. He's technically an outstanding footballer, he's got a high footballing IQ but you literally have to build the attack around him otherwise you get diddly squat out of him. 

When you look at his loan spells: 10 in 30 for Fulham, 1 in 10 for Reading and 2 in 30 for Hull. None of them were sad to see the back of him. When the attack wasn't built around him here, he didn't have the best of time. Cocu, like McClaren, managed to get something out of him by making him the focal point. If Bristol don't do that, or decide that he's more influential off the bench, he's going to struggle to get to five goals next season. 

We need a more progressive approach. Martin is a player that I'll always hold in high esteem but I'm not sad to see him go. 

If we could afford to move heaven and earth to give Rooney an 18 month deal, it seems disappointing to me we couldn’t secure a new contract for a genuinely important player in Martin.

What worries me more is that we obviously allowed ourselves to walk away from negotiations without having a replacement for Martin lined up.

How foolish does that look now?

With Lawrence and Waghorn out and question marks remaining over Marriott, our attacking options look desperately thin.

Considering some fans actually expect us to kick on and aim for the top six, it is frustrating to see us effectively strengthen a direct rival.

5 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

If we could afford to move heaven and earth to give Rooney an 18 month deal, it seems disappointing to me we couldn’t secure a new contract for a genuinely important player in Martin.

What worries me more is that we obviously allowed ourselves to walk away from negotiations without having a replacement for Martin lined up.

How foolish does that look now?

With Lawrence and Waghorn out and question marks remaining over Marriott, our attacking options look desperately thin.

Considering some fans actually expect us to kick on and aim for the top six, it is frustrating to see us effectively strengthen a direct rival.

Important in whose mind? The manager? Yours?

27 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

I'm a huge Martin fan. HUGE. 

I can't say I'm sad to see him go, though. We know he was on a big old wage here and a significant amount of that contract was paid during a period where he wasn't in the team or out on loan. It was a bad contract and I'm glad we didn't extend it. I obviously have no idea what he's on now, but I'd imagine that Bristol have extended the contract to lower the wage. I wouldn't be surprised if he's still on good money. 

The problem with Martin is that he's the most one dimensional footballer I have ever seen at Derby. He's technically an outstanding footballer, he's got a high footballing IQ but you literally have to build the attack around him otherwise you get diddly squat out of him. 

When you look at his loan spells: 10 in 30 for Fulham, 1 in 10 for Reading and 2 in 30 for Hull. None of them were sad to see the back of him. When the attack wasn't built around him here, he didn't have the best of time. Cocu, like McClaren, managed to get something out of him by making him the focal point. If Bristol don't do that, or decide that he's more influential off the bench, he's going to struggle to get to five goals next season. 

We need a more progressive approach. Martin is a player that I'll always hold in high esteem but I'm not sad to see him go. 

That’s all fine, but where is the forward planning from the club?

It’s OK to let Martin go and I think most people would easily come to terms with it if there was some semblance of preparedness from the club.

As it is, people will question the wisdom of that decision when we have left ourselves in a position where there is no sign of his replacement, we look toothless up front,  and the league campaign is days away from beginning.

4 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

There-in lies several massive assumptions.

Did he even want to stay? Did we want to give him the 2+1 year deal he got? Does Cocu see him as a "genuinely important player"? How much is he getting paid now?

All of which, the answer lies whether you're in the Martin Man Love Club, or not.

13 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

It’s OK to let Martin go and I think most people would easily come to terms with it if there was some semblance of preparedness from the club.

As it is, people will question the wisdom of that decision when we have left ourselves in a position where there is no sign of his replacement, we look toothless up front,  and the league campaign is days away from beginning.

It's all getting a bit silly now. We looked pretty toothless with Martin in the team.

Shame to see Martin go, although if this Telegraph article from the end of April was right (it wasn't John Percy so not sure) it's hardly surprising that the club were wary about any new contract offer.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2020/04/28/Derby-county-players-agree-wage-deferrals-club/

The expectation is that the club’s wage bill will fall by about £10 million this summer as contracts expire.

From memory the only players whose contracts 'expired' were Anya, Huddlestone and Martin. If they were pulling in £10m a year between them then..yikes! ?

Edited by RandomAccessMemory

19 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

Can we afford a replacement? I don't know. 

I wouldn't mind seeing Rooney, Waghorn, Marriott and Hector-Ingram get the chance up top. Martin being here doesn't make us any less toothless IMO. 

3 minutes ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

It's all getting a bit silly now. We looked pretty toothless with Martin in the team.

Are you suggesting it’s Martin’s fault we spent the majority of games passing the ball between Bird and Rooney on the halfway line?

There were lots of issues with the team’s toothlessness and they didn’t all directly correspond to Martin. It’s fair to say Martin offered us no pace up top but we didn’t have pace on the wings either.

Don’t think calling Jourdan silly is fair when you’ve got in a huff for suggesting our top goalscorer last season was an important  player ?