Christopher Hugh Martin Fan Club

Animal is a Ram

1 hour ago, Archied said:

Have I missed the bit where it’s confirmed what we offered in terms of years or money for the contract because as far as I can see it’s speculation that some have now turned to fact , given he hasn’t attracted a fee for a few years when we had managers that wanted rid I’m struggling to follow the logic that we would get a fee for him another year on if it wasn’t working ? 
whish him the best and fair play to those that struggle To let go but come on 

Have some respect archied,haven't you got another thread to visit,we are grieving here mate!

Just shows how much is about individual connections to a player. 

Can't argue with his goal record and when he was on it, he was quality at this level. 

But for me he will always be part of a frustrating era and as a player he irritated me at times too. So whilst he scored a good amount of goals, I won't particularly look back with massive affection for him. Maybe it would be different if we had gone up but we didn't. Nice that he managed to come back and sign off properly for his fan club but definitely time to move on, glad he's gone. 

I can understand the reasons for letting Martin go now having seen the contract length situation. I was initially very disappointed we’d let him go from a footballing sense - but from a business sense, handing out a potential three year contract to a 31 year old is a dangerous move. Exactly the same as with Forest and Lyle Taylor, in a year or two’s time the player might be well past his best and of no use to you. You’re then stuck with probably 15k a week wages going to waste, with no way to shift them. You just can’t take that sort of gamble in our situation, especially given Martin’s health history. 

I think we’ve made the correct call here, much as I rate Martin as a player.

Edited by Millenniumram

Thought I wouldn’t mind seeing Chris in another teams shirt. Boy was I wrong. A tear came out when I saw him in that purple. A true modern day legend and I’m sure we’ll see him a Derby again. If he ever wants to coach I’m sure we’ll give him a gig. Even if he doesn’t he’s Derby through and through. I still think there a a twist in martins tale here. Love you Chrissy 

7 hours ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

Have some respect archied,haven't you got another thread to visit,we are grieving here mate!

I have respect for Martin and his time with us kash , he had just become a bit of an albatross around the neck of the club and any manager we had ,it’s actually a bit of a shame the timing of cocu and Martin reaching the last ish contract stage as I believe cocu would have been able to use him the right way re style and playing time whilst keeping the matinites relatively on board but that’s football,Derby had a view on his role and worth ,Martin wanted better ,no hard feelings and wish him well, it’s just the unbalanced view of him by some I struggle with especially when it means putting down other players at he club

10 hours ago, Josh said:

Seeing Chris Martin leave and now join Bristol City, I feel like a part of my heart has been ripped out. I’d say it’s an end of an era. Russell, Bryson, Keogh and now Martin gone. What a shame. That 2013/2014 team was an absolute joy to watch. 

We won’t see another side like that for years, and certainly not under this manager. Free flowing football with Chris Martin the lynchpin banging in the goals. What a great time to be a Derby supporter that was. 

Edited by Jayram

9 hours ago, Millenniumram said:

I can understand the reasons for letting Martin go now having seen the contract length situation. I was initially very disappointed we’d let him go from a footballing sense - but from a business sense, handing out a potential three year contract to a 31 year old is a dangerous move. Exactly the same as with Forest and Lyle Taylor, in a year or two’s time the player might be well past his best and of no use to you. You’re then stuck with probably 15k a week wages going to waste, with no way to shift them. You just can’t take that sort of gamble in our situation, especially given Martin’s health history. 

I think we’ve made the correct call here, much as I rate Martin as a player.

We didn't let him go

Just now, AndyinLiverpool said:

We didn't let him go

Yeah we offered him a season (according to the guy from the Athletic), how dare he think that (until the last couple of games) the Championship striker with the best stats was worth more than a year! ?

1 minute ago, RoyMac5 said:

Yeah we offered him a season (according to the guy from the Athletic), how dare he think that (until the last couple of games) the Championship striker with the best stats was worth more than a year! ?

No matter what you think of the (alleged) circumstances, the one thing we can state with absolute certainty is that the club offered him a contract, which he declined. DCFC didn't let him go.

32 minutes ago, DcfcMatt said:

How about this

Screenshot_20200904-080840_Gallery.jpg

Sorry, not feeling that one - too posed. When I do find something it will probably be Sibbo or one of the other youngsters who step up to the mark.

I like to capture moments that I lived through that made me feel great. @RoyMac5 is close with the Sibbo photo but that would just remind me who scored the other two goals that day.

I was impressed how hungry Jack Marriott looked against Sheffield United and hope he can start to deliver on a regular basis.

There is definitely a vacancy for a new hero at Derby County at the moment.